Home Open Account Help 272 users online

Steam & Excursion > Audio - In The Cab Of IC 2608 On A Northbound Mine Run

Date: 02/09/19 11:36
Audio - In The Cab Of IC 2608 On A Northbound Mine Run
Author: MaryMcPherson

James Adams of Centralia, Illinois, was an employee of the Illinois Central Railroad.  He was also a steam fan, and in the waning days of steam made a number of sound recordings aboard steam locomotives on trains in and around Centralia.  His status as a railroad employee was a help, no doubt.

On a day in the fall of 1958, Mr. Adams took his reel to reel equipment aboard the cab of 4-8-2 #2608 on a coal run to the Orient Mine east of DuBois, Illinois.  In this clip, the train is returning to Centralia with loads.  The train is northbound on the Centralia District mainline, headed back to Centralia.  The first clip is near Ashley, Illinois, and the second clip as she passes through Richview.

It has been stated that Illinois Central whistles could develop a screech, and this is certainly the case with #2608.  The whistle of the locomotive screams a warning as she highballs through Richview.

​Enjoy!

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 02/09/19 12:47
Re: Audio - In The Cab Of IC 2608 On A Northbound Mine Run
Author: Tominde

Wow,, moving out.  Yes you can definitely hear that screetch.

Date: 02/09/19 14:11
Author: WauhopM

AWSOME!!!!!!!

Date: 02/09/19 14:35
Author: zoohogger

Yeah, those old steam engines were just too slow.
Mary,
Thanks for posting all of these great sounds. 

Beautiful.

Rick Z

Date: 02/09/19 19:29
Author: nycman

Mary, thanks for all of these audio clips, which bring back a lot of memories for this old man.

Date: 02/09/19 20:28
Author: Panamerican99

IC 2613 also had a major whistle defect with the screaming effect. I rode behind it three times, on the L&N Centennial in Nov., 1959 and two excursions out of Louisville on May 14 and Oct 2, 1960 and that whistle was never fixed (or replaced). But I do have extensive recordings from the first two trips made by Bill Bauer from the baggage car on is reel to reel recorder. I may post a couple in the coming days. Some of his recordings were used in our two ICRR videos.
-Jim Herron

Herron Rail Video

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0372 seconds