Home Open Account Help 325 users online

Steam & Excursion > NKP 757 on the move

Date: 02/11/19 07:24
NKP 757 on the move
Author: boejoe

Post on Eastern Board at 06:46 this morning indicates 2-8-4 moving with Strasburg RR switcher at RR Museum of PA.

Date: 02/11/19 07:37
Re: NKP 757 on the move
Author: ClubCar

I'm guessing that even though it is snowing today, someone will be up at Strasburg taking photos and perhaps some video.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 02/11/19 08:27
Author: kurt765

Two pics here:

https://twitter.com/FortWayneRails/status/1094973882568720384

FWRHS original endorsement of the effort from 38 years ago:

https://twitter.com/FortWayneRails/status/1094982003307499520

Same as above but on Facebook

http://tinyurl.com/yypm2mcd

Date: 02/11/19 09:34
Author: wcamp1472

I remember how awe-stuck I was when 757 had just arrived at Strasburg, lo those many years ago. There was no existing state museum, just Moedinger’s excursion business and a little freight, now and then...

I was blown away by the size. Seems like only yesterday.
Maybe was 1965/66?

Took a couple of slides... never even dreamed of what was the future...

Awed fan...

W.

( 759 ‘borrowed’ cylinder head & piston from left side.... promised Hart fresh replacement parts in exchange for the ‘loan’ ... years later, is now tied up in 3-way ‘politics...’ and sands of time..)

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/19 09:40 by wcamp1472.

Date: 02/11/19 18:02
Author: MH2198

Overnighting in Enola tonight before continuing on tomorrow. Here it is crossing the Conodoguinet Creek entering the east end of Enola Yard...

Date: 02/11/19 18:37
Author: prr4400

757 has bin added to the h/u sits

Date: 02/12/19 07:40
Author: 4489

prr4400 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 757 has bin added to the h/u sits

Pardon?

Date: 02/12/19 07:49
Author: Spoony81

4489 Wrote:
> prr4400 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > 757 has bin added to the h/u sits
>
> Pardon?

I think that's supposed to say "757 has been added to the heritageunits.com site"

Date: 02/12/19 08:34
Author: 4489

Spoony81 Wrote:
> 4489 Wrote:
> -----
> > prr4400 Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > 757 has bin added to the h/u sits
> >
> > Pardon?
>
> I think that's supposed to say "757 has been added
> to the heritageunits.com site"

Thank you.  That may be it.

Date: 02/13/19 22:59
Author: coach

Where is this engine going to?  Another planned restoration to operation??  Imagine 4 Berkshires running:  757-759-765-Pere Marquette.

Date: 02/14/19 03:08
Author: mdogg

coach Wrote:
> Where is this engine going to?  Another planned
> restoration to operation??  Imagine 4 Berkshires
> running:  757-759-765-Pere Marquette.

No, just cosmetic restoration at museum in Bellevue, OH. The best chance of another NKP Berk running would be 763 at the Age of Steam Roundhouse.

Posted from Android

Date: 02/14/19 04:46
Author: filmteknik

Is it being towed backwards deliberately or was that just how it was oriented when they started?  If intentionally I wonder the rationale.  To what extent does a trailing truck of this kind provide guidance to the drivers the way a pilot truck does?

Date: 02/14/19 04:54
Author: mdogg

filmteknik Wrote:
> Is it being towed backwards deliberately or was
> that just how it was oriented when they started? 
> If intentionally I wonder the rationale.  To what
> extent does a trailing truck of this kind provide
> guidance to the drivers the way a pilot truck
> does?

Was towed out backwards, then was turned on the turntable in Enola to face front.

FWRHS has data and has proven that a NKP Berk can be towed backwards at 40 mph+ with no problems. I think maybe up to 45 or 50, but not more than that?

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/19 05:03 by mdogg.

Date: 02/14/19 15:29
Author: wcamp1472

filmteknik:

The physics (vector forces) of towing a loco are different from the loco’s drivers powering the reward movement of the engine.

Start with the fact that the loco’s mass rotates about its center of gravity.  Berks typically have their center of gravity over , and behind the 4th driving axle,  near the belly of the boiler, in the region of the outer throat sheet.

The pilot truck st the front of the engine has a “steering-moment”. ( the length of a lever) from the truck’s axle ( 2-wheel truck), to the center of gravity. The trailer truck’s moment is at the “heart rockers” ( centering devices), at the rear corners of the truck.  
The distance is about half the distance of the lever favoring the pilot tuck, and the force neeed to swing the whole loco ( boiler and frame) is 4-times the amount, compared to the force needed to guide the loco by the pilot truck. All,of that force 

When handling a train IN REVERSE, it make a difference it makes a difference if the cars ( resistance) are coupled to the pilot
or the cars being shoved are behind the tender.  If cars are behind the draw bars tend to force the flanges of the rear drivers against the outer rails under the engine.  If curved track, the flanges would bear agsinst the rail of the curve.

When being towed, the masses involved in moving the loco means that the tender, by way of the spring loaded buffer casting
( between the engine and tender), becomes a guiding force.  The tender body, via the buffer ( tension)  and drawbars, tends to ‘lead’ the engine into curves, sumilar to the leading-action of the pilot truck.  So, towing a Berk is more stale than a self-powered move by the drivers.   If being powered by the live loco, you want to always back through tricky trackage with extreme caution, and holding your speed-in-reverse, to the very low range.

W.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/19 01:57 by wcamp1472.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0503 seconds