Home Open Account Help 281 users online

Steam & Excursion > 4960 Question

Date: 02/15/19 13:28
4960 Question
Author: MartyBernard

I posted this photo on Facebook yesterday and received the comment, "No smoke, no steam????".  I don't have a reply.  I'm hoping one of you do.  The photo is by Roger Patelski of 4960 at Montgomery, IL on September 21, 1963.  Basically, why is she so "clean" at that moment?

TIA,
Marty

Date: 02/15/19 14:35
Re: 4960 Question
Author: jcaestecker

Running on battery power, hidden in tender.  Part of the Green New Deal.  :-)))

Date: 02/15/19 15:21
Author: LarryDoyle

jcaestecker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Running on battery power, hidden in tender.

Either that, or the temperature in the firebox has dropped below 1750 degrees F.

Assuming a decent coal, over half of the energy is in the hydrocarbons which must be heated to 1750 degrees to combust.  He's probably got a "hole in the fire", letting lots of cold air into the firebox, lowering its temperature below 1750 degree,  There's plenty of oxygen to completely burn the carbon (black stuff) which burns at a lower temperature leaving no smoke,  but all of the hydrocarbons are going up the stack - wasted.

That is a BAD fire - time for remedial action.

That, or she's Dead In Tow being shoved by a dismal.

-Larry Doyle

Date: 02/15/19 15:24
Author: HotWater

More probably it is a pretty hot day, thus no steam/water vapor is visible from any of the steam driven appliances. Plus, the Fireman may simply have his coal fire slightly banked, and then there would be no visible smoke.

Date: 02/15/19 16:15
Author: ironmtn

I can't contribute anything on the smoke and fire quality question. But I will say that it is one really classic image of a favorite locomotive. And the Mary Kay pink Lincoln convertible passing under the bridge is just quite the final touch. [Edit - I said Oldmobile first, but on reflection, I think it's a Continental].

MC
Muskegon, Michigan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/19 16:16 by ironmtn.

Date: 02/17/19 13:37
Author: robertsdavid

You were closer with the make of the car on the first guess.  It looks to be a '63 Oldsmobile Delta 88.  Also, I doubt that the car is Mary Kay Pink, since the concrete of the bridge is the same color - most likely from the age of the print.  Then again, you've got to look at the driver and passengers - hardly Mary Kay sales leaders!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0401 seconds