Home Open Account Help 234 users online

Steam & Excursion > SOO #2718 passenger train w/speed blur ('54)

Date: 02/16/19 05:49
SOO #2718 passenger train w/speed blur ('54)
Author: valmont

SOO #2718 five miles south of Ashland, WI on Aug. 19, 1954. Bruce Black labeled ths as Train 117.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/19 05:57 by valmont.

Date: 02/16/19 05:56
Re: SOO passenger train w/speed blur ('54)
Author: gbmott

That's really nice.  The train was the Ashland section of the "Laker", the main part of which operated Duluth-Chicago.  There was also a small Minneapolis section.

Gordon

Date: 02/16/19 16:04
Re: SOO #2718 passenger train w/speed blur ('54)
Author: hawkinsun

Nice Photo.   I've been on that road, but a couple years after this was taken. (1956)  Looks like a nice Summer day.   I can only imagine what it looks like right now.  Ugh !

Craig Hanson
Vay, Idaho

Date: 02/16/19 19:23
Author: RuleG

hawkinsun Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice Photo.   I've been on that road, but a
> couple years after this was taken. (1956)  Looks
> like a nice Summer day.   I can only imagine
> what it looks like right now.  Ugh !
>
> Craig Hanson
> Vay, Idaho

What do you mean by "Ugh?"  I tried checking the location on Google Maps which shows Highway 13 next to a railroad line about five miles south of Ashland.  Using the streetview function, I see a lot of trees, but nothing to cause me to think "ugh."

Date: 02/16/19 19:48
Author: hawkinsun

I'm sure the location is still a lot like it was in 1954, Beautiful.   What I meant was I'll bet the weather there is pretty nasty right now.  Maybe not.  Noted for lots of snow, and bitter cold at the same time.   I have many great memories of this area.  First trip up to this area was 1956.   Several more family vacations after that, with trains the big highlights of our trips.   I remember, and still have photos I took of the two Soo Line 2-8-0s that were used for steam heating the iron ore trains, and SOOs only 2-10-0 on display in Ashland.   I had a friend that went to school in Houghton or Hancock, I forgot which town, but He said it could be brutle up there in the Winter.   I went skiing at Ontonagan one winter and camped out.   Lots of snow there too.   Got so cold I frostbit my fingers , toes and face.   Still great memories of the area, Northern Wisconsin and Michigan.

Craig Hanson
Vay, Idaho

Date: 02/16/19 20:03
Author: RuleG

I wasn't thinking about the weather, although winterscapes have their own beauty.

Thanks, Craig, for your clarification.

Date: 02/16/19 20:19
Author: 950SooLine

She is crossing White River and headed down to Spencer. I rode that train many times when I was alittle boy with my Mother when we went to Milwaukee, got off at Waukesaw and took the street car or something like it in.  My Dad would get us a pass on it.  This took place around 1936 to about 1943, great memories.  Train at that time left Ashland at 6pm & got to Spencer about 11pm then would board the train coming out Minneapolis.

Dick Holmstad
Phoenix Ariz.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.044 seconds