Home Open Account Help 276 users online

Steam & Excursion > An "Under The Radar" Move Of An SP Steam Locomotive To Ft. Bragg!

Date: 03/04/19 12:26
An "Under The Radar" Move Of An SP Steam Locomotive To Ft. Bragg!
Author: LoggerHogger

This morning saw the delivery at Ft. Bragg, California of former SP 0-6-0 #1227 from Oakdale, California.  Little has been disclosed about this move.

The Sierra Northern at Oakdale obtained SP #1227 from the Golden Gate RR Museum in 1996.  The engine has originally been donated by SP to the City of Alameda in the 1950's.  The Sierra Northern has the same owners as the California Western RR in Ft. Bragg.

With Calif-Western 2-8-2 out of service and in need of serious reapir, one could wonder if #1227 wasn't seen as a candidate for restoration at the C-W shops in Ft. Bragg.

However, word is that #1227 is only going to be painted and put on display by the depot in Ft. Bragg.  With the salt air there, that will certainly take a toll on this poor engine.

Time will tell.

Martin

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/19 06:25 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 03/04/19 12:32
Re: An "Under The Radar" Move Of An SP Steam Locomotive To Ft. Br
Author: stanhunter

Gotta say, looking at the photos, the Cal Western has its hands full with a restoration of 1227.  I sure wish them the best of luck - would be nice to see steam return to Ft Bragg.

Stan Hunter
Fair Oaks, CA

Date: 03/04/19 12:36
Author: TCnR

Seems like some serious work just getting those trucks over any of the roads into Ft Bragg.

Date: 03/04/19 13:57
Author: TS735

Under the radar indeed. None of the local railfans around the Oakdale/Modesto area have breathed a word if they knew.
The restoration of this locomotive was stalled many years ago for various reasons so let’s hope for good things this time around. Best wishes.

Ryan Barber
Stockton, CA

Date: 03/04/19 16:07
Author: LarryB

My cousin and I climbed all over that locomotive when in was in Alameda's Washington Park back in the 50's.  I'd love to see it operate again.

Date: 03/04/19 16:29
Author: Frisco1522

If all the parts are there, a lot of the work is done.   Disassembling is a big job believe it or not if you do it right.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0389 seconds