Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Steam & Excursion > These Were Glorious Days Of Steam For Those Who Witnessed It!

Date: 03/06/19 01:11
These Were Glorious Days Of Steam For Those Who Witnessed It!
Author: LoggerHogger

There was a special revival of steam railroading that took place in the West in the 1970's that was amazing to all who were lucky enough to see it and experience it.  I am referring to the return of steam operations on the Sierra Railroad.

Beginning in 1971 and going all the way through to New Years Eve night in December 1979, the Crocker family, who owned the Sierra RR put on a steam revival of such proportions that we may never see again in our lifetime.  These were truly magical times for steam on the Mother Lode Shortline.

Seen here, in it's second year of the steam revival, are Sierra 4-6-0 #3 and 2-8-2 #34 crossing Draper Trestle during labor day weekend in September, 1972.  These special labor day excursions would only be part of the regular summer steam passenger trains that included regularly scheduled Wine & Cheese Trains, Dinner Trains, and many other special excursion runs with all 3 of the Sierra steamers, #3 #28 and #34.  Later, in 1979, these 4 locomotives were joined by Shay #2, that had been restored after she arrived on the Sierra in 1976 from her prior owner, the Feather River Ry.

During these special years that many of us were lucky to enjoy, we heard the sounds of whistles echoing off the Sierra foothills around Jamestown and Sonora on such a regular basis, that one almost forgot that the Sierra was still a freight railroad operating during the week with a set of Baldwin diesels.  We actually thought of her as a steam railroad once again.

Martin

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/19 11:38 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 03/06/19 09:46
Re: These Were Glorious Days Of Steam For Those Who Witnessed It!
Author: callum_out

I was on that trip, shoulda brought a chain saw!

Out

Date: 03/06/19 11:06
Author: Railfan4Christ

Thanks for posting this, Martin.

I lived a block from the Jamestown roundhouse until I was 13. Every Saturday and Sunday (and for a time Wed-Fri) I got to see number 28 and later 34 pull the Mother Lode Cannonball up to Standard, in the evenings we had the  Twilight Limited and Sierra Supper Special, usually pulled be 28 and Baldwin S-10 44. Even got to ride a few times. I had a great childhood. 

Tom 

Date: 03/06/19 11:30
Author: SierraRail

That's actually Draper trestle.  Black Oak trestle is another mile further east.  Train that day never made it to Black Oak trestle, only to Black Oak station site.  Train then backed down to Standard.

Date: 03/06/19 12:17
Author: callum_out

And as I said, shouda brought a chain saw. The oak tree growth at the trestle was so thick that it was scratching the sides
of the cars and looked worse past the trestle. Ended up being a sensible place to stop.

Out

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0385 seconds