Home Open Account Help 233 users online

Steam & Excursion > Austria Steam 2

Date: 03/08/19 03:53
Austria Steam 2
Author: andersonb109

Austria was visited in October, 2007 wih all photos taken on a Steam and Loco Safaris (David Rodgers) tour. We visited no less than 5 preserved lines and had steam on OBB rails in three other locations.  First is 06-2T No. 298.52 on the Steyrtalbahn, a preserved line running between Steyr and Grundberg. Second is 0-8-0T No. 699.103 on the Waldvietlbahn preserved line near the Czech border.  Third is 4-6-2T running along the Danube near Grein taken from the paddle steamer Schonbrunn. 

Date: 03/08/19 04:06
Re: Austria Steam 2

Next.  O-4-2T Z4 with plow on the Schafbergbahn Rack Railway climbing the Schafberg.  Our passenger charter was suppose to go to the top. A very early October snow had fallen overnight and service trains were canceled. But fear not. They brought out a loco with plow and we followed it up the hill for about two miles. Way better than a normal ride to the summit . Most participants weren't prepared for the weather with no boots or other appropriate clothing. I remember my jeans were so soaked I trashed them following the charter changing into dry clothes for the bus ride back to Salzburg. Second: Yv 0-8-2T on the Ybbstalbahn, a working forestry railway at Ybbs. The railway arranged to put steam on a real working logging train for our charter. Normal services being all diesel. Third: G10 0-10- No. 657.2770 works the docks at Linz to re create scenes from years gone by.

Date: 03/08/19 06:50
Author: train671

Enjoyable variety of locations but the second one is my favorite.  Thanks for sharing.

Date: 03/08/19 06:59

We were very lucky with now wind and the lake reflection. The snow on the mountain was also unique. They never run the normal service in that much snow. The line closes in winter. 

Date: 03/08/19 07:37
Author: Bob3985

Great photos, all of them. A couple deserve IOTD.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 03/08/19 14:58
Author: nycman

Love the first one, Bruce.  It reminds me of my childhood and mom pulling the clothes in on the clothesline because a New York Central coal burning loco was enroute past the house.

Date: 03/08/19 22:40
Author: Harlock

The loading docks are a unique location. Very cool.

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA
Photography, Railroading and more..

Date: 03/09/19 01:33
Author: bobwilcox

Thank you for posting these, fine shots.

Bob Wilcox
Charlottesville, VA
My Flickr Shots

Date: 03/09/19 05:51
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!

Date: 03/09/19 09:06
Author: robj

Great series.  Great country to visit, so many great places.

Thanks, Bob

Date: 03/09/19 16:38
Author: ironmtn

Really wonderful images, all of them. Gotta pick the stone viaduct and dam scene as my favorite, with the dock scene a very, very close second. Excellent composition, gorgeous light well used, in all images. Thanks so much for posting them and sharing them with us.

MC
Muskegon, Michigan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0365 seconds