Home Open Account Help 292 users online

Steam & Excursion > NC&STL 576 historic move today

Date: 03/09/19 13:05
NC&STL 576 historic move today
Author: RailfanTerry

Drone Shot - Nashville's historic Steam Engine #576 took it's first journey in 65 years by rail, NC&STL #576 on display in front of Nashville Union Station along with CSX #576 (NC&STL Sticker on the nose), Thanks to CSX & Nashville Steam for the special event. Terry

Date: 03/09/19 13:07
Re: NC&STL 576 historic move today
Author: bankshotone

Where is the destination?

Posted from Android

Date: 03/09/19 13:11
Author: Defective_Detector

The Tennessee Central Railway Museum to be restored to operation on the Nashville & Eastern railway, which also hosts the Music City Star commuter trains. 576 will be operting regularly at speeds up to 60 mph.

Date: 03/09/19 16:18
Author: camelot7unplugged

Without the clutter ...

Date: 03/09/19 20:21
Author: grizzledgary

While I respect the talent "camelot7unplugged" displays in working a digital image and enjoy the different view it offers I personally don't consider the people and modern vehicles nor even the CSX locomotive as clutter. I'm not offended but just offering that for me those objects tell more about what is happening with #576 than does the altered image. The vehicles and people show there is enough interest in what is happening to bring folks out even on a day with less than perfect weather. The CSX locomotive would seem to indicate that a Class 1 that doesn't generally display a positive outlook towards steam is at least not trying very hard to distance itself from one that is receiving some attention in their neighborhood.

Lastly, for what it's worth I have to add that I wouldn't think CSX would take well to their equipment being refered to as clutter. I often hear it said the railroads read these forums. I don't know how often that may happen but in speaking to some of the CSX employees involved with the recent donation of C&O caboose #3203 to the Kentucky Steam Heritage group I did learn that they were aware of how that project provided some positive public relations news for a company that is usually not viewed as being concerned with organizations interested in railroad history or preservation efforts. The CSX people were genuinely proud of what they had helped make happen and enjoyed having the company be seen in a more positive light by both rail fans and the general public.    

Date: 03/09/19 20:49

grizzledgary I don't see where he said the CSX unit was clutter, All he photo shopped out was cars & people. Terry

Date: 03/09/19 21:39
Author: grizzledgary

Terry,

I don't see where he mentions the cars or people as clutter either yet like the CSX unit they are also not in his alternative image. One could reasonably expect that whatever is no longer in view (be it via photoshop or by cropping the image) would comprise what he is referring to as clutter in the original shot. Respectfully asking, though I thought the  comment posted with his work was very clear, am I missing something else here?

Thanks,
            Gary   

Date: 03/09/19 21:50
Author: RuleG

Taking out the people and automobiles makes the scene look really desolate. 

Date: 03/09/19 23:47
Author: kurt765

You guys are reading way too much into this.

Date: 03/10/19 08:00
Author: camelot7unplugged

Your second picture is the photo I photoshopped and that picture does not show the CSX unit, so all I took out were people and cars and the crains in the back ground, I hope I didnt offend people who like cranes ......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/19 08:04 by camelot7unplugged.

Date: 03/10/19 08:17
Author: wcamp1472

IMHO,
The entire setting is what makes the picture have relevance.

A cursory review of the steam pictures posted on TO reveals that the best pics relate a whole story about the complete scene..
Its not just a collection of isolated, photoshopped, close-cropped, stone-cold, stuffed and mounted piece of scrap history.

The significance is not the elimination of the current objects, but it’s their inclusion that, together with additional, future, pictures that 
gives significance to this kind of shot.

Its no longer the last days of steam in the 1950s...that’s long gone and never coming back..
Youre not fooling anyone.

The more you include of today’s environment, the more historic significance the scene acquires.

Wes C.

Date: 03/10/19 08:22
Author: Frisco1522

Is the CSX diesel pulling the 576 with a cable?   Coupler incompatibility?

Date: 03/10/19 10:06

Is the CSX diesel pulling the 576 with a cable? No it a air hose so 576 can blow it's whistle.

Terry

Date: 03/10/19 10:49

The CSX unit has been renumbered back to #527 today.

​Terry

Date: 03/11/19 13:32
Author: NebraskaZephyr

RailfanTerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The CSX unit has been renumbered back to #527
> today.
>
> ​Terry

I was wondering when somebody was going to mention that.

Turns out one of the CSX officials that helped make this happen traced the actual 576 and, upon inspection, determined its paint wasn't good enough for a public relations event, so a complete set of vinyl decals were made up for the cab sides and number boards, in addition to the NC&StL logo. The 527 has one of the freshest pant jobs on the system, so it was sent to Nashville to be the "stunt double" for the real CSXT 576.

This info is first-hand from said CSX official.

NZ.

Date: 03/11/19 19:54
Author: Geep

Big Kudos to CSX for supporting such events!

Posted from Android

Date: 03/13/19 08:29
Author: NKP779

Ditto, big kudos to CSX!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0448 seconds