Home Open Account Help 254 users online

Steam & Excursion > #3985 Visits Iowa...Part Two

Date: 03/10/19 10:18
#3985 Visits Iowa...Part Two
Author: CNW8531

Here's a few more shots I scanned in from when the #3985 made it's venture across Iowa back in 2002.  Of course, it clouded up just as the train got close but you shoot anyway as it's a once in a lifetime event.  These three shots are from it's eastbound trip on June 12th shown leaving Clinton en route to Chicago.  Check out the crew in the third photo!!

Date: 03/10/19 10:22
Re: #3985 Visits Iowa...Part Two
Author: CNW8531

Here it is six days later going back west on the 18th of June.  How 'bout the "North Platte" on the rear!

Date: 03/10/19 16:26
Author: Bob3985

Nice photos. Number three has Steve at the throttle. I believe that may have been the road foreman behind him and the pilot engineer standing on the cab apron.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 03/10/19 19:14
Author: tolland

I have a question for Bob or anyone else in the know: I have not seen a train recently with the North Platte business car. Has it been retired?

Thanks,
Jim Burrill

Date: 03/11/19 05:41
Author: Bob3985

tolland Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a question for Bob or anyone else in the
> know: I have not seen a train recently with the
> North Platte business car. Has it been retired?
>
> Thanks,
> Jim Burrill
Jim, I am not sure about retirement but the North Platte was a "C" fleet business car and I don't believe they are running any trains that are using that equipment.
I remember when Steve drove Lynn, Mary and I to Council Bluffs to put us on the North Platte. He had designated me to be in charge of an E-9 Excursion run.
The North Platte had just come out of the shop and when we arrived they were awaiting the arrival of the beds and carpet.
I remember the curtain rods that they hung in the office end and down the hallway that had a spiral design with spikes on the ends.
I told Lynn that we were being interred in prison by their looks.
And I reminded them to be very careful walking down the hallway so as not to have a piece of rough track toss us into these rods.
30 minutes before departure time they laid the carpet and 10 minutes before the beds were installed.
One thing about this trip is that everything smelled new.
We made the round trip and survived the new car.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0474 seconds