Home Open Account Help 257 users online

Steam & Excursion > B & M R in Neb.

Date: 03/14/19 06:42
B & M R in Neb.
Author: valmont

Looks like this loco was being transported in this picture ... the lettering on the cab is 'B & M R in Neb.'. Although I wasn't quite sure if the first letter was an 'R' or a 'B' that was cleared up by 'Frisco1522' in post below. Also could that object in the tender be 'stairs' that were used to climb into the cab if the loco was on display somewhere?

As you can see I know almost nothing about this loco, but given the knowledge of TO members, answers will probably show up ...

and thanks to Frisco1522, one did already!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/19 08:23 by valmont.

Date: 03/14/19 06:56
Re: R(?) & M R in Neb.
Author: Frisco1522

Burlington and Missouri River.    Early CB&Q.  

Date: 03/14/19 12:04
Author: Bob3985

The Burlington and Missouri River Railroad ran from Holdredge Nebraska to Cheyenne, WY thru Sterling Coloraod before being purchased by the CB&Q.
This line made it to Cheyenne before the C&S ever got close. Their tracks ran down south of Lincolnway and ended attheir depot at Capitol and Lincolnway in downtown Cheyenne.
After the C&S arrived they had a depot over on the east side but eventually built down into downtown to the B&MR depot.
Note: I forgot about its eastern end and corrections stated below. Thanks Steve.
On another note the B&MR roundhouse in Cheyenne was a 5 stall similar to the one in Holdredge ( still there a semi tractor repair shop) and it stood in the location of the parking lot outside the building where the UPHS offices are.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/19 04:23 by Bob3985.

Date: 03/14/19 17:09
Re: B & M R in Neb.
Author: twjurgens

BMRR in Nebraska was the incarnation of CB&Q in Nebraska.  It became part of the CB&Q in 1904.

Date: 03/14/19 19:54
Author: wpjones

Bob, I know the BMRRR was atleast as far East as Platsmouth Ne. Harold Jones' woody caboose is a Platsmouth car and was orriginaly Burlington and Missouri River in Nebraska. Also the Havelock shops in Lincoln were BMRRR and produced the three existing 4-6-0 engines.710 in Lincoln.719 in Alliance and the one in Council Bluffs, I don't remember the number. They were also built as BMRRR Engines at the begining of the last century.
According to Corbin's book Steam Locomotives of the Burlington Route the 35 was Built at Platsmouth Ne. in 1881 and was used on the lines in Nebraska.
Steve

Bob3985 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Burlington and Missouri River Railroad ran
> from Holdredge Nebraska to Cheyenne, WY thru
> Sterling Coloraod before being purchased by the
> CB&Q.
> This line made it to Cheyenne before the C&S ever
> got close. Their tracks ran down south of
> Lincolnway and ended attheir depot at Capitol and
> Lincolnway in downtown Cheyenne.
> After the C&S arrived they had a depot over on the
> east side but eventually built down into downtown
> to the B&MR depot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/19 20:01 by wpjones.

Date: 03/15/19 04:20
Author: Bob3985

Thanks Steve I stand corrected and after visiting with a friend well verse on B&MR I believe it was their bridge at Plattsmouth as well.
At least I got to operate a locomotive on their trackage one day. I caught the city engine and we had a car of Budweiser to spot at Orrison Distributing on the east side.
So to get there we crossed the UP mainlines to the Woolhouse siding, thru the transfer track(which is still there) and onto their old rails. Then down the alley ways behind the businesses along our main drag to Orrison. We spotted the car and I asked the foreman if he was in a hurry to get back. He said not really so when we got back on their old main we headed east and on down across from the refinery and north of the UP mainlines. I can imagine the looks we got from a passing westbound as we were way off from our territory. Here we were on an NW-2 sneaking around deep in the weed overgrown B&MR trackage. Well, we headed back and I chalked up another memory of things I did while railroading in my career.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0432 seconds