Home Open Account Help 255 users online

Steam & Excursion > 4014 cab picture


Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2


Date: 03/14/19 07:12
4014 cab picture
Author: Spikes

I believe this photo came from Union Pacific recently. A lot happening!




Date: 03/14/19 07:55
Re: 4014 cab picture
Author: HotWater

Wonder how all the insulation and jacket will be installed?



Date: 03/14/19 09:42
Re: 4014 cab picture
Author: callum_out

It's not needed it's still cold outside BUT it's nice to see that they've used the correct pressure rated fittings
and valves, like those forged elbows. As to Jack's question, are you surprised?

Out



Date: 03/14/19 09:45
Re: 4014 cab picture
Author: HotWater

callum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's not needed it's still cold outside BUT it's
> nice to see that they've used the correct pressure
> rated fittings
> and valves, like those forged elbows.

All most likely removed from 3985.

As to Jack's
> question, are you surprised?

Nope.

> Out



Date: 03/14/19 09:59
Re: 4014 cab picture
Author: CaliforniaSteam

HotWater Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> callum_out Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It's not needed it's still cold outside BUT
> it's
> > nice to see that they've used the correct
> pressure
> > rated fittings
> > and valves, like those forged elbows.
>
> All most likely removed from 3985.
>
> As to Jack's
> > question, are you surprised?
>
> Nope.
>
> > Out

I'm sure thats the tip of the iceberg of the stuff that has been removed from the 3985 for this glorious project.....

CS



Date: 03/14/19 10:34
Re: 4014 cab picture
Author: sgriggs

callum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's not needed it's still cold outside BUT it's
> nice to see that they've used the correct pressure
> rated fittings
> and valves, like those forged elbows. As to Jack's
> question, are you surprised?
>
> Out

Question for those who have operated steam locomotives without the backhead insulation in cold weather:

I'm sure the cab is a drafty place, but isn't the surface of that uninsulated backhead over 400 degrees F?  Seems like that would make such a small space incredibly hot (like having a gigantic oven door open).  



Date: 03/14/19 10:56
Re: 4014 cab picture
Author: callum_out

Not a problem, notice the lack of cab windows! You do not want to be in a cab without backhead insulation,
it gets real warm, real quick, cold or not.

Out



Date: 03/14/19 11:01
Re: 4014 cab picture
Author: seaboardc30-7

Just dig out some old bags of asbestos insulation from the back area of the supply room, mix up a big batch and apply it by hand, just like they did in the old days.



Date: 03/14/19 11:11
Re: 4014 cab picture
Author: HotWater

seaboardc30-7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just dig out some old bags of asbestos insulation
> from the back area of the supply room, mix up a
> big batch and apply it by hand, just like they did
> in the old days.

Sure! But,,,,,,,what about the jacketing?



Date: 03/14/19 11:25
Re: 4014 cab picture
Author: sgriggs

seaboardc30-7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just dig out some old bags of asbestos insulation
> from the back area of the supply room, mix up a
> big batch and apply it by hand, just like they did
> in the old days.

I've got a video documenting the 1990's restoration of ATSF 3751, and they used a material called (I think) foam glass.  It was basically like blocks of glass that were filled througout with tiny voids (like bubbles) that provided great insulating qualities.  The guys doing the insulation work were carving on the stuff with little saws to get it to fit properly around pipes and valves under the jacketing.



Date: 03/14/19 11:34
Re: 4014 cab picture
Author: bankshotone

HotWater Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------
> All most likely removed from 3985.


Yes very sad indeed. RIP 3985. Let's hope someone someday will have the authority to restore it instead of being a parts donor and a permanent display in the roundhouse.

Posted from Android



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/19 11:35 by bankshotone.



Date: 03/14/19 11:54
Re: 4014 cab picture
Author: ProAmtrak

I agree, 3985 was an awesome locomotive!

Posted from Android



Date: 03/14/19 12:08
Re: 4014 cab picture
Author: Bob3985

I was priveledged to operate in the cab of 3985 for many years and I recommend that all enjoy the 844 and 4014 while they too are allowed to operate over the rails of the Union Pacific.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY



Date: 03/14/19 13:43
Re: 4014 cab picture
Author: kurt765

Bob3985 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was priveledged to operate in the cab of 3985
> for many years and I recommend that all enjoy the
> 844 and 4014 while they too are allowed to operate
> over the rails of the Union Pacific.

The most sensible of advice. Thanks Bob. Clearly, this will unfortunately not be possible for everyone.



Date: 03/14/19 14:14
Re: 4014 cab picture
Author: Narniaman

HotWater Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> callum_out Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It's not needed it's still cold outside BUT
> it's
> > nice to see that they've used the correct
> pressure
> > rated fittings
> > and valves, like those forged elbows.
>
> All most likely removed from 3985.
>
> As to Jack's
> > question, are you surprised?
>
> Nope.
>
> > Out

=========================

Okay, I'll bite. 

Assuming that it would be foolhardy to use the steam fittings that have been on the 4014 for seven decades or so now. . . why would the steam crew take the time to remove worn steam fittings from the 3985 to use on the 4014 . . . when it would be easier to install new steam fittings instead?? 
 



Date: 03/14/19 14:25
Re: 4014 cab picture
Author: HotWater

Narniaman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> HotWater Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > callum_out Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > It's not needed it's still cold outside BUT
> > it's
> > > nice to see that they've used the correct
> > pressure
> > > rated fittings
> > > and valves, like those forged elbows.
> >
> > All most likely removed from 3985.
> >
> > As to Jack's
> > > question, are you surprised?
> >
> > Nope.
> >
> > > Out
>
> =========================
>
> Okay, I'll bite. 
>
> Assuming that it would be foolhardy to use the
> steam fittings that have been on the 4014 for
> seven decades or so now. .

Why do you think/say that? The inner-workings of any valve, steam or otherwise, are easily rebuilt.

. why would the steam
> crew take the time to remove worn steam fittings
> from the 3985 to use on the 4014 . .

Because the 3985 had already been converted from coal burning to oil burning, and 4014 is now an oil burner.

. when it
> would be easier to install new steam fittings
> instead?? 

Why would THAT be necessary?

 



Date: 03/14/19 14:35
Re: 4014 cab picture
Author: bankshotone

HotWater Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Narniaman Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > HotWater Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > callum_out Wrote:
> > >
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > > It's not needed it's still cold outside BUT
> > > it's
> > > > nice to see that they've used the correct
> > > pressure
> > > > rated fittings
> > > > and valves, like those forged elbows.
> > >
> > > All most likely removed from 3985.
> > >
> > > As to Jack's
> > > > question, are you surprised?
> > >
> > > Nope.
> > >
> > > > Out
> >
> > =========================
> >
> > Okay, I'll bite. 
> >
> > Assuming that it would be foolhardy to use the
> > steam fittings that have been on the 4014 for
> > seven decades or so now. .
>
> Why do you think/say that? The inner-workings of
> any valve, steam or otherwise, are easily
> rebuilt.
>
> . why would the steam
> > crew take the time to remove worn steam
> fittings
> > from the 3985 to use on the 4014 . .
>
> Because the 3985 had already been converted from
> coal burning to oil burning, and 4014 is now an
> oil burner.
>
> . when it
> > would be easier to install new steam fittings
> > instead?? 
>
> Why would THAT be necessary?
>
>  

Knowing Ed Dickens the fittings and probably most valves are new or made in house. I could definitely see pulling parts from the 3985 that doesn't necessarily need to be new such as oil firing controls maybe plumbing who knows. But with the 3985 completely out of the picture for rebuilding I'm sure it donated quite a few parts.

Posted from Android



Date: 03/14/19 14:43
Re: 4014 cab picture
Author: kurt765

Does anyone actualy *know* if anything in the photo is borrowed from 3985 or is everyone just going off on assumptions and guesses?



Date: 03/14/19 14:49
Re: 4014 cab picture
Author: CaliforniaSteam

You dont have to assume very much, to know the 3985 donated parts for this. Especially a burner and other firing parts. We know it donated its tender. CS out

Posted from iPhone



Date: 03/14/19 14:53
Re: 4014 cab picture
Author: bankshotone

CaliforniaSteam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You dont have to assume very much, to know the
> 3985 donated parts for this. Especially a burner
> and other firing parts. We know it donated its
> tender. CS
> out
>
> Posted from iPhone
I don't think the burner itself is from the 3985, Ed had a presentation a while back and had the burner for it and the burner was new.

Posted from Android



Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2


[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0983 seconds