Home Open Account Help 351 users online

Steam & Excursion > YW 19 (lite) Returns to Steam

Date: 03/17/19 21:20
YW 19 (lite) Returns to Steam
Author: BoilingMan

It seems most appropriate to post this here on the Steam Railroading page.
TO member Stevo_W has been quietly working away to bring to life his version of 2-8-2 Yreka Western #19-  today was the Big Day.  His first fire up.
SR

1.  Unloading the 19 at the Sacramento Valley Live Steamer's in Rancho Cordova.
2.  First things first-  a hydro test.  The 19 was last run it 2007.  Stevo purchased the locomotive I guess about 2yrs ago.  He fabricated a burner to convert to propane (it had been diesel fired) and parts like the new pilot to better represent YW 19.   Stevo signs off the necessary paperwork- she passed the hydro.
3.  Alive!

4, 5, and 6.  Off and running- I had the honor of being the first passenger.
7.  Cooling down and blowing off the last of the steam.  Stevo was pleased (relieved) and has the right to be- a few squawks to correct, but all & all, much to celebrate!  #19 (lite) Lives!

Date: 03/17/19 21:21
Re: YW 19 (lite) Returns to Steam

Date: 03/17/19 21:22

Date: 03/17/19 22:17
Author: SP4360

She's Alive! Way to go Stevo!

Date: 03/17/19 22:20
Author: dmaffei

A#1 to Portland on the 19..... 
Nice, looks a lot like her. Congrats to the owner. Wonder if anyone will ever see the real 19 again?  

Date: 03/18/19 08:10
Author: sgriggs

Is that Ernest Borgnine?

Date: 03/18/19 08:15
Author: HotWater

sgriggs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is that Ernest Borgnine?

Absolutely!

Date: 03/18/19 10:12
Author: CPRR

[Shack is chasing Cigaret atop the train after having dealt with the aftermath of the train stopping short]
Shack: Got yourself a game leg, hey kid? You should have jumped off! That would have been the smart thing to do. You should have jumped Kid! I got to hand it to you kid, you're smart. You play both sides against the middle. Have your self a high old time. But now it's lasted long enough. Oh, you can keep running kid, but you're running out of train! 
[Shack laughs as the hobo falls over the cupola of the caboose]
Shack: And there's no place to hide. My Brakey's cracked his neck, the hide's peeling off the Black, and the Hogger's ready for the looney bin. And all because of you. That's a pretty fair day's work for a tender-foot.
 [Steadying his sledge-hammer]
Shack: But now I'm going to show you what happens to people who ride on my train without a ticket.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/19 16:54 by CPRR.

Date: 03/18/19 13:48
Author: wingomann

Was it just me or is there anyone else that pulled for the train crew over the hobo's in Emperior of the North?  I want an alternate ending to that movie.

Date: 03/18/19 14:10
Author: Txhighballer

dmaffei Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A#1 to Portland on the 19..... 
> Nice, looks a lot like her. Congrats to the owner.
> Wonder if anyone will ever see the real 19 again?
>

Great picture of the train crew. In fact, this is the only one I have ever seen of them all together like that. Thank you for sharing it.  

Date: 03/18/19 14:36
Author: nycman

SR, I'm sure the late Bill Killion, who often ran the YW 19, would have enjoyed seeing this.  It would appear that the late Jerry Jacobson's crew are taking good care of 19 at the AOS Roundhouse.

Date: 03/18/19 14:55
Author: KMiddlebrook

Nice pictures.  

About 25 years ago, the West Valley Live Steamers (Santa Clara County) produced about 30 sets of castings based upon the #19. In a moment of financial and time constraints as a new family and constantly relying on others for machining services, I sold my set after assembling the driving wheels, locomotive frame, tender wheel trucks and associated spring rigging.  Oh well...

Date: 03/18/19 16:18
Author: rev66vette

The actor second from the left, was Malcom Atterbury who's Father ironically was once President of the Pennsylvania railroad. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0695 seconds