Home Open Account Help 334 users online

Steam & Excursion > A Timeless Yard Scene Captured The Essence Of Steam Railroading!

Date: 03/21/19 02:28
A Timeless Yard Scene Captured The Essence Of Steam Railroading!
Author: LoggerHogger

Certain photographs can include so many elements of the steam era that it takes us several minutes to see them all.  Here is one such photo.

The location is Southern Pacific's Mission Bay roundhouse and the time is the late 1930's.  The roundhouse itself is full of steam motive power in for service or light repairs while in the yard a trusty SP 0-6-0 is hard at work shuffling cars about to make up the trains for these same engines in the roundhouse.  Aiding the 0-6-0 are the brakemen walking the car roofs on the left as the tower operators on the right go about their jobs as well.

Take a minute and drink in this fine scene of the days of steam.

Martin

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/19 02:33 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 03/21/19 02:43
Re: A Timeless Yard Scene Captured The Essence Of Steam Railroadi
Author: DKay

Stunning photo Martin ,you never disappoint .
Regards,DK

Date: 03/21/19 04:01
Author: EL-SD45-3632

Excellent photo! Look around, no weeds, no clutter or junk lying around or grease on the ballast from the future diesels coming on board, just a nice clean scene!

Date: 03/21/19 05:27
Author: VintageMac

Well, except for the air they had to breathe!

Larry

Date: 03/21/19 06:34
Author: Frisco1522

I'd like to take my lawn chair and a cooler and just sit there at the tower.  Thanks Martin

Date: 03/21/19 07:19
Author: TonyJ

Mission Bay roundhouse, Potrero Tower, Mission Bay Yard. All great memories of my youth in the waning days of the steam era captured in one great photo. I wish I could have spent more time there. Thanks Martin.

Date: 03/21/19 08:21
Author: PHall

EL-SD45-3632 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Excellent photo! Look around, no weeds, no clutter
> or junk lying around or grease on the ballast from
> the future diesels coming on board, just a nice
> clean scene!

Back when labor was plentiful and cheap!

Date: 03/21/19 09:32
Author: Ritzville

Really NICE photo, bringing back good memories as a kid, thanks to my uncle. I too wish I could have spent more time there.

Larry

Date: 03/21/19 12:14
Author: ATSF3751

Check out the SA-1 signal in black and white. They didn't last long in that scheme before being painted all silver with black target

Date: 03/21/19 16:37
Author: hogheaded

R.E. Field recently sold the negative (possibly a copy) of this photo on eBay. He stated that it dated from 1933 and showed the "point of transition" of SP passenger power from striped drivers and "blue" boilers to basic black. It is interesting that the only locomotive with a freshly applied old-style paint job here is an E-23 4-4-0 (#1454?), one of a dwindling number of this class (many were vacated the previous year). Other sources speculate that the decorative transition came two or three years earlier. That it is the only loco apparent with fresh, old-style paint is curious. Likewise, many E-23's were vacated in 1932, and the remainders were beginning to be concentrated in the San Joaquin Valley. So what was a dolled-up 4-4-0 doing at Mission Bay when everything else seems to be basic black? Special occasion;  assigned to the Commutes?

Incidentally, Field speculates that one of the locos near the tower may be a prarie, but I can't tell from his listing photo.

At any rate, it is one cool picture.

Ed Gibson

Date: 03/22/19 02:47
Author: Evan_Werkema

ATSF3751 Wrote:

> Check out the SA-1 signal in black and white.

I'm pretty sure those are US&S Style H signal heads, even though they eventually got GRS-style long hoods.  See the E.K. Muller photo below showing the same signal in 1956, courtesy the Western Railway Museum Archives.

Interesting to see Potrero Tower before it was painted black!  Never have heard why it got that unorthodox paint scheme. 

Would that these scenes really were "timeless" (i.e. without beginning or end; eternal; everlasting).  Unfortunately, time marched on and took its toll.  Today everything in these photos is gone except for the two main lines in the foreground, and they are underneath the elevated structures of the 280 freeway.

Date: 03/22/19 04:23
Author: EL-SD45-3632

Was Potrero tower an air plant (pneumatic) with the large storage tank by the tower it could be, also, maybe they painted it black because it sets back near the roundhouse to help hide the soot and grime from the many steam engines passing by?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/19 04:29 by EL-SD45-3632.

Date: 03/22/19 05:09
Author: exhaustED

How is it 'timeless'?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1217 seconds