Home Open Account Help 278 users online

Steam & Excursion > Sadly, We Have Lost Another Legend In Steam Railroading- Bob Gray

Date: 04/10/19 05:04
Sadly, We Have Lost Another Legend In Steam Railroading- Bob Gray
Author: LoggerHogger

Word just came from Virginia City, Nevada that the founder and patriarch of the Virginia & Truckee Restoration, Bob Gray has passed at the age of 97.

During the 1930's Bob was an avid railfan who traveled the West capturing steam railroading on his big Post Card film camera.  In June 1937 Bob was one of the railfans that rode the very first railfan excursion on the V&T.  The trip took the railfans up to Virginia City just after news that the V&T had received permission to abandon that part of the railroad.

Bob never got over that trip on the V&T.  In the 1970's Bob, and later with the help of his son Tom, founded the V&T restoration and started to rebuild the V&T line from Virginia City, Nevada down to Gold Hill.  This was no small task since the rail and all equipment had been gone for over 35 years by the time Bob got started.  Today, thanks to Bob's vision and work, the V&T is alive and well and runs from Virginia City all the way down to the outskirts of Carson City on the old right-of-way.

I was lucky to count Bob as a friend.  He and I along with Bob's son Tom enjoyed our visits at the V&T over the years.  I loved talking to Bob about the years he spent traveling the country taking fabulous sharp photos of steam locomotives on his Postcard film camera.  Those negatives of Bob's that I have from those travels are among my most cherished.

I have attached a couple of photos of Bob here for you to enjoy.  The first is Bob on the ground besides his beloved #29 lettered in his honor.  That is Tom Gray in the cab.  The next was taken in the winter of 2014 when we ran an winter excursion on the V&T.  Bob drove over from his home in the Bay area to join us.  Our mutual friend Harold Borovec also came down from Washington to join in the fun.

Bob, you will be sorely missed by all who knew you.  We owe you a debt for bringing the V&T  back to life.  Take care my friend.

Martin

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/19 05:21 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 04/10/19 06:39
Re: Sadly, We Have Lost Another Legend In Steam Railroading- Bob
Author: BAB

Am glad that you were able to share many good times with your friend may he now rest in peace knowing the good work he did for all of us. Boyd

Date: 04/10/19 06:49
Author: NathanNon-Lifting

Very sorry to hear of Bob’s passing. The Gray’s and the V&T are a class act.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/10/19 09:35
Author: callum_out

Cery sad to hear about Bob,  he was always a friend to us at Gold Hill and fun to be around.

Out

Date: 04/10/19 14:55
Author: Check_A1E_Perf

Ugh. That is sad news indeed. Goodbye Bob....

Date: 04/11/19 06:38
Author: Lerro984

I was lucky to of met Bob in 2014. Rest in Peace and my sympathys to the Gray family.

Pete

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0343 seconds