Home Open Account Help 355 users online

Steam & Excursion > USA Steam 4

Date: 04/12/19 03:32
USA Steam 4
Author: andersonb109

In February of 2007 I joined a group from the U.K. that toured the western U.S.  The charters were provided by my friend David Rodgers, whom I was happy to provide some logistical assistance for the tour. We visited three different railways....Heber Valley, Nevada Northern, and Durango and Silverton. The first photo finds loco No. 618 near Vivian Park on the Heber Valley. Sadly, steam is currently not being used on this scenic line. The next two, as most will recognize are from the Nevada Northern. The back story was the weather. Following dinner at the East Ely Ramada Inn, several of us went out to check on the progress of a driving rain storm in warm weather. Would it get cold enough to snow?  'No, not a chance" most felt. But a 2AM visit to the bathroom and quick look out my bedroom window showed over a foot of fresh snow had fallen. So much in fact it was difficult to drive the short distance to the station. These two photos are the result. First with No. 93 on the High Line with a freight. Second, No. 93 passing No. 40 at the East Ely station. By the next day, much of the snow had already melted. Thus is the variable Nevada Winter weather.  I've participated in two charters since then but never achieved the results we were hoping for on that trip. My friends in England still refer to it as "the snow trip" and well worth their extended time and expense to participate on this excellent tour. 

Date: 04/12/19 03:34
Re: USA Steam 4
Author: UP951West

Oh what high quality images you have shared !  Thanks !   --Kelly

Date: 04/12/19 04:45
Author: Bob3985

Great photos all  but your capturing Heber's 618 reminds me of the time I got to run it on our UPHS convention excursion. It was a great locomotive and I hope they get it operating again one of these days.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 04/12/19 08:48
Author: jbwest

I really like that first one.

JBWX

Date: 04/12/19 09:03
Author: gregscholl

Like number one the best.  I think I shot video there in 1999, and just used the material in a video last fall.  Reminds me I need to get ahold of John Rimmasch to give him a thank-you comp one.  He was very nice during our visit, as he was CMO at the time.  Anyone have an email for him.
Cheers,
Greg

Date: 04/12/19 09:07
Author: railstiesballast

Thanks, No. 1 is an IOTD nominee.

Date: 04/12/19 09:56
Author: Keystone1

Excellent photo.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.044 seconds