Home Open Account Help 372 users online

Steam & Excursion > Westside Lumber Co.

Date: 04/18/19 12:43
Westside Lumber Co.
Author: Ironman

I'm planning to visit Northern CA this summer.  I'll be visiting Sierra and maybe checking out Angels Branch.  Since I will be nearby I was wondering if there is anything left of the Westside either at Tuolumne or elsewhere?

Any info would be great!

Thanks in advance,

Alan

Date: 04/18/19 14:57
Re: Westside Lumber Co.
Author: jbwest

You have two operating WSL Shays at Fish Camp, a heisler at Roaring Camp, and I believe the ROW out of Tuolumne is a trail, and perhaps some rail is stil in place.  I believe the Nevada County NG Museum in Grass Valley has some cars.  And probably a bunch of stuff I have missed.

JBWX

Date: 04/18/19 15:13
Author: DKay

Lots to see and do in that area.You can hike a good distance on the old Sugar Pine ROW from Lyons Resevoir.There is some tracks still in place in Tuolumne .You can see them without trespassing on Tuolumne road (E17) ,just near the Me-Wak Indian health centre,and from the road between there and the Black Oak Csasino.I was paid a visit from tribal police,while I was looking at the trackage just near the health centre,so be aware of your no trespassing responsabilities.They have problems with people removing indian artifacts apparently.
Nice food and craft beer at the Standard Pour in Standard.The building was the old Standard Lumber company's HQ,so some history there while you have lunch.

Some trackage is also visible at Ralph,where Soulsbyville Rd takes off from Tuolumne rd.I have also come across old RoW while hiking in the Big Trees State Park.The logging museum in White Pines is well worth a visit,they have a restored Shay there.
Regards,DK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/19 18:20 by DKay.

Date: 04/18/19 15:29
Author: KMiddlebrook

WSL Heisler #2 is displayed in the Tuolumne City Park

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/19 15:30 by KMiddlebrook.

Date: 04/18/19 18:15
Author: lynnpowell

FYI, most of the Sierra RR trackage is still in place between Standard and Tuolumne.  It is very overgrown and easy to miss in most locations;  there a several public roads crossing this trackage.  I believe that the local Indian tribe may own this trackage.

Date: 04/19/19 10:51
Author: CPRR

Well there is rail left along the trail from town. Photo from the local museum website.

Date: 04/19/19 10:56
Author: CPRR

Would highly recommend this info. Photos last taken in 2009

http://www.pacificng.com/template.php?page=roads/ca/wslco/index.htm

Date: 04/22/19 10:24
Re: Westside Lumber pix
Author: jbwest

I noticed the link to my pix in one of the above posts doesn't work so here the correct link is.

West Side Pix Back in the Day

JBWX

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0492 seconds