Home Open Account Help 320 users online

Steam & Excursion > Under their own power

Date: 05/09/19 14:25
Under their own power
Author: LTCerny

Great to see that the 4014 and 844 were each allowed to approach the ceremony in Ogden today under their own power, without assistance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/19 14:37 by LTCerny.

Date: 05/09/19 14:30
Re: Under their own power
Author: goduckies

Well, you should hope so.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/09/19 16:32
Author: wheel_slip

goduckies Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, you should hope so.
>
> Posted from Android

Don't you think it's about time you give it a rest? Come on, your personal animosity toward this project is frankly boring.

Andy Chabot

Date: 05/09/19 16:48
Author: ProAmtrak

Well a DH with a Diesel added isn't being under their own power, let's see what happens when they head back to Cheyenne!

Date: 05/09/19 17:15
Author: callum_out

Up grade with a load.

Out

Date: 05/09/19 17:15
Author: Lucasjames

Agree Andy!!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/09/19 18:23
Author: DavidP

LTCerny Wrote:
> Great to see that the 4014 and 844 were each
> allowed to approach the ceremony in Ogden today
> under their own power, without assistance.

Actually, only the 4014 moved.  844 was already in position.  Here’s a short video from within the crowd.

Dave

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 05/09/19 19:14
Author: gregscholl

A couple of things struck me in this video.  (1) It was as if someone yelled...."Okay Hands up" like a robbery with all those cell phone cameras in the air.
(2) Anyone else notice the lack of the green worker vests in the cab?

Greg

Date: 05/09/19 20:41
Author: ATSFSuperChief

No vests in cab is a true blessing for photos, videos and watching. And as it is not required by the UP.

Don Allender

Date: 05/09/19 21:42
Author: goduckies

I was wondering when someone would mention the vests, Hotwater has been saying it for years lol...

Posted from Android

Date: 05/09/19 23:53
Author: Odyssey

I agree with the hands up observation ...
those of us who are "vertically challenged" always
have to deal with the rude rail fans who push in front
even if they just arrived at the last possible moment ...

Odyssey
Evergreen, CO

Date: 05/10/19 06:54
Author: BAB

goduckies Wrote:
> Well, you should hope so.
>
> Posted from Android

Go find another place to harp about your problem with things it made the show and made power enough to move. Many thought it would never even leave the shop.

Date: 05/10/19 10:16
Author: RioGrandeFan

For what it is worth, Ed and whoever is firing do not wear their yellow vests in the cab. They do drape them on the seat back so they may be visible. Some of the other members of the steam shop crew might wear their vests or have bright yellow shirts, coats, etc.

The majority of the bright yellow or orange vests you're seeing are worn by the pilot crews and other folks invited as "guests" in the cab. I don't know if Ed requires that these folks wear vests or if these folks choose to wear vests. It wouldn't surprise me if he required guests, "non-railroad" employees to wear them. I'm guessing the pilot crews just put them on and forget about them. I have seen them on regular freights wearing them in the cab. Easier to just put it on and leave it on rather than take it off and put it back on to get out for rollbys and other "outside of the cab" required activities.

Doesn't bother me much, understanding today's railroading and that these locomotives are operating in 2019 and not 1949. Rules have changed and no one is going to be fooled by thinking a picture of one taken in 2019 was taken in 1949.

Overall I'm just happy that we have the opportunity to see them with someone pulling the throttle and there's a reason to need a pilot crew or guests in the cab. These things could be stuffed and mounted rotting away. Enough of them are. We should be grateful that anything is operational regardless of what colors are visible in the cab. Certainly doesn't "ruin" the experience, for me at least. These big steam powered machines are just flat out awesome.

Lee Ryan - Rio Grande fan
Denver, CO

Date: 05/10/19 10:54
Author: Gonut1

I thought the engines were infested with glow worms?
Go

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0477 seconds