Home Open Account Help 253 users online

Steam & Excursion > C&TS Shops

Date: 05/12/19 10:40
C&TS Shops
Author: Ironman

Looking at the recent videos of the outstanding work on #168 I started wondering how the railroad used the facilites at both ends of their line?  Is the shop in Chama the primary steam shop and the Antonito location just for storage or car repair?

-Alan

Date: 05/12/19 10:47
Re: C&TS Shops
Author: Earlk

Correct.  Usually one locomotive is kept in Antonito over the winter.  They use it for the Holiday Trains.  They send the engine with the least amount of winter-time repair work needed over to Antonito for the winter.  It frees up badly needed space in the Chama Shop.

This past winter 488 was in Antonito.

There is one stall in the Antonito engine house which is too short for a complete locomotive and tender.  That track is where the work in 168 is being done.

Date: 05/12/19 19:18
Author: Ironman

Thank you for the info!   I thought 168 was in the main shops at Chama.

I noticed from Google Earth a large two track storage shed in Antonito.  Is that for the passenger cars?

-A

Date: 05/12/19 21:16
Author: Cumbresfan

Ironman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you for the info!   I thought 168 was in
> the main shops at Chama.
>
> I noticed from Google Earth a large two track
> storage shed in Antonito.  Is that for the
> passenger cars?
>
> -A

The two-track structure at the far east side of the loop and the building beside it are used for freight car repair and restoration and were built by the Friends of the Cumbres and Toltec. I believe that the white tent-like structure south of the loop is used for construction of the historic passenger cars for use with the 168.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0603 seconds