Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Steam & Excursion > UP 4014 track speed now?

Date: 05/12/19 15:19
UP 4014 track speed now?
Author: jsnoy

Has the track speed of 4014/844 increased as the "break-in" progressed?  I've seen several video segments where 844's drivers were really working hard, so I am guessing  the track speed may be in the vicinity of 50 mph.  Do any of the railfans who have been pacing the train have a real speed they can report?
Joe  

Date: 05/12/19 16:20
Re: UP 4014 track speed now?
Author: HotWater

jsnoy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Has the track speed of 4014/844 increased as the
> "break-in" progressed?  I've seen several video
> segments where 844's drivers were really working
> hard, so I am guessing  the track speed may be in
> the vicinity of 50 mph.  Do any of the railfans
> who have been pacing the train have a real speed
> they can report?
> Joe  

What do you mean by "844's drivers were really working hard"? If you mean the speed of the rotation of those big 80 inch diameter drivers, then 50 MPH would be barely running easy for 844. You might want to find and view the time that 844 was pushing from the rear of a stalled 10,000+ ton freight train, westbound on Archer Hill (maybe 2005?). THAT time 844 was "really working hard" at below 25 MPH at full throttle. Also, for what it's worth, on this double header trip, 844 is doing VERY LITTLE actual work, since 4014 is shouldering most, if not all, the load, as she should.

Date: 05/12/19 17:09
Author: Boomer41

I saw several great videos from today on YouTube.And Here on the Forum. Dickens sure is opening that throttle up now, and for sure coming up Wasatch grade track speed is up quite a lot....realy sounds good.

Date: 05/12/19 17:41
Author: SD45X

After Castle Rock 40 mph

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/13/19 06:53
Author: BAB

Fianlly someone understands why the slow speeds of 4014 as its now coming into its own due to the break in. How in the last few year many carped about how it would never run, be towed to and from the event by a diesel. Now Ed you did it along with your crew I can only think of the drop dead time lines I had when working on small aircraft that were used in comercial work. If they were not ready by...............then it would hit the fan.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0324 seconds