Home Open Account Help 337 users online

Steam & Excursion > 3 to 5k for 3 hours...

Date: 05/12/19 18:13
3 to 5k for 3 hours...
Author: goduckies

Was just thinking about this, those that paid 3 to 5 k today got 3 hours behind the Big Boy. Yikes. I thought it was expensive before, but realizing it's just for 3 hours... too bad they couldn't have made it an all day event for them. I am sure they had a blast though.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/12/19 18:20
Re: 3 to 5k for 3 hours...
Author: walstib

I can't think of anything quite as depressing as riding a bus back to Ogden from Evanston after that trip.

Date: 05/12/19 18:55
Author: WAF

walstib Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't think of anything quite as depressing as
> riding a bus back to Ogden from Evanston after
> that trip.

75 minute bus ride

Date: 05/12/19 19:16
Author: GRNDMND

walstib Wrote:
> I can't think of anything quite as depressing as
> riding a bus back to Ogden from Evanston after
> that trip.

I can... five-hour Greyhound ride from Cheyenne back to Rawlins after riding the 844/3985 double-header returning from Railfair 1991. This was a 1AM departure out of Chian and a near riot on the damn bus. That and the driver trying to make up time flying across the Wyoming darkness on I-80West. Ohhh, the fun stories of railfaning! 
KC - Don't question people eating chicken on the Greydog

Date: 05/12/19 19:41
Author: callum_out

And that was any different from most of your railfanning adventures?

Out

Date: 05/12/19 19:51

I've been on multi day trips with 4449 and the E9's back in 1994, so yes a lot longer than 3 hours... was just surprised it was so short.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/12/19 20:03
Author: GRNDMND

callum_out Wrote:
> And that was any different from most of your
> railfanning adventures?
>
> Out

LOL, Yes...from about 95% of them. Think I'm goinna write a book. :)

KC

Date: 05/12/19 20:06
Author: mundo

And folks raised a fuss at the prices charged for the many UP special trains behind steam in  the 80-90's. These were sold by the NRHS folks of Salt Lake and San Francisco.
1-9 day trips, Tennessee Pass, freight only trackage, you name it. AND photo run-by's.  UP put on a grand show.  Never to be seen again.

What a deal it was, a full train, of domes, chair cars-diners-lounge cars-baggage car with doors barred open.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/19 20:07 by mundo.

Date: 05/12/19 20:20

Yup, the E9 trip through the Feather River Canyon was one of those. Stopped for a Run By on Altamont Pass and in theb Canyon one of the the last great trips with my dad.

Posted from Android

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/19 20:23 by goduckies.

Date: 05/13/19 00:53
Author: SP4360

The 1500 paid for the 2 day Cascade Daylight trip in a full dome with hotel room, dinner and breakfast was a bargain compared to this fiasco.

Date: 05/13/19 01:50

Exactly

Posted from Android

Date: 05/13/19 06:36
Don't forget
Author: Bob3985

Let us not forget the train was scheduled to layover in Evanston that night. So it wasn't going any farther. This is a public relations event that is making a grand tour of the railroad and allowing those along the way to get a chance to get up to the locomotive. So the groups that sponsored this fund raiser for themselves piggybacked onto the exisiting schedule. Thus the short trip. Be glad they had the opportunity to do so if they wanted to.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0516 seconds