Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Steam & Excursion > UP E9's

Date: 05/13/19 23:31
UP E9's
Author: goduckies

Was just thinking I haven't seen them running a train lately. What is their status? Hopefully they will be run again. I have fond memories of them running through the Feather River Canyon in 1994... posting about that earlier peaked my interest to where they are now.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/14/19 03:21
Re: UP E9's
Author: sgriggs

goduckies Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was just thinking I haven't seen them running a
> train lately. What is their status? Hopefully
> they will be run again. I have fond memories of
> them running through the Feather River Canyon in
> 1994... posting about that earlier peaked my
> interest to where they are now.
>
> Posted from Android

According to a video-recorded Steam Shop tour (I think probably on YouTube), the wheels have been turned down so many times that the pilot and parts of the trucks can clip objects protruding above the railhead, such as at a grade crossing.  Apparently, the E9 used a wheel diameter that is not common today (42”?) and are not easily replaceable.

Scott Griggs
Louisville, KY 

Date: 05/14/19 07:08
Author: BAB

Do hope they find some which will work as yes they are beauties have them in HO scale.

Date: 05/14/19 08:10
Author: SD45X

36”
And numerous posts suggest they are available.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/14/19 08:18
Author: CPB284

To my knowledge, the last time 949 & 951 ran was on a special for the UP Museum that ran from Omaha to Columbus, Nebraska on August 12, 2017. They had UP 9010, an SD70AH in the consist as well. Just before that, 949 & 9010 powered the Nebraska 150 Express, which toured the state in honor of 150 years of Nebraska statehood. Not sure the last time 963B ran. 

Date: 05/14/19 09:03
Author: TomPlatten

Now you know why we use the old UP 942 E-8 sparingly at OERM. Remember it arrived on our properly after spending time in a scrap yard and after Chicago Metra wore it out! Plus, it still has two prime movers! To say it is tired is an understatement!

Date: 05/14/19 14:49
Author: sixaxlecentury

36" wheels are amoung the harder sizes to source.   Iowa Pacific had a custom run made for quite a few owners about 5-6 years ago.  

Date: 05/14/19 17:03
Author: jethat

Stuff like this is where Ed Dickens looses me. Why not just tell the real truth? The E's are on ice because we are all about the big boy right now! Time and money is all used up FOR THAT! Just say it! No one will hate (any more then they already do) him more.. But no he has to lie. Hate that about him.

Date: 05/14/19 17:06
Author: dan

His budget has shrank beleive it or not.

Date: 05/14/19 19:10
Author: jethat

dan Wrote:
> His budget has shrank believe it or not.
I do not doubt that 1 bit. Corporate hasn't been seeing enough benefit from the steam program until the last couple of weeks. Its important for the future of UP steam that Dickens parades his accomplishment across the UP system. The E's aren't going to save the future of the program. Big Boy has to earn its keep. Its continued success is crucial For me I am not going to allow my dislike of Divkens keep me from rooting for the programs continued survival. Go Big Boy. We can worry about the E's in the future!

Date: 05/14/19 19:14
Author: TomG

He is a steam fan, not a E fan.

Date: 05/14/19 20:13
Author: callum_out

Plus he doesn't have an unlimited budget to do as he pleases, his money has all gone into the 4014.

Out

Date: 05/15/19 05:50
Author: Oldtyme

dan Wrote:
> His budget has shrank beleive it or not.

Now he's priming the masses for the "let down" that 3985 will NOT be restored because of budget issues.

Date: 05/15/19 07:30
Author: WaterBoy

UP Corporate makes the decisions on what projects get funded.
If you want to see money spent on this or that, then correspond with Corporate.
Hell, I have the same problem in my company.
I want additional equipment, but the bosses above won't buy it.
This repeated bashing of a program manager is fruitless.
He manages it, not funds it.

Date: 05/15/19 08:47
Author: Oldtyme

And who submits the UP Steam Program proposed budget request? Uh maybe the manager named Ed Dickens?? Sorry Omaha but since I cannibalized 3985 for parts we now need $10 million to restore it compared to $1 million for just the boiler certification and rebuilding of the front truck back in 2011. Sacrificing 3985, DDA40X, 3 E units, a restored caboose, a switch engine, a road switcher and who knows what else for a Big Boy restoration just isn't worth it. 

Date: 05/15/19 10:04
Author: CPRR

"This repeated bashing of a program manager is fruitless"

The bashing will continue until morale improves....

Date: 05/15/19 16:27
Author: ProAmtrak

jethat Wrote:
> Stuff like this is where Ed Dickens looses me. Why
> not just tell the real truth? The E's are on ice
> because we are all about the big boy right now!
> Time and money is all used up FOR THAT! Just say
> it! No one will hate (any more then they already
> do) him more.. But no he has to lie. Hate that
> about him.
>
>  

No kidding, poeple like him make me sick, what is the problem on being honest? It's better to be honest than to try to cover up your mistakes all the time!

Date: 05/16/19 04:01
Author: CaliforniaSteam

Oldtyme Wrote:
> And who submits the UP Steam Program proposed
> budget request? Uh maybe the manager named Ed
> Dickens?? Sorry Omaha but since I cannibalized
> 3985 for parts we now need $10 million to restore
> it compared to $1 million for just the boiler
> certification and rebuilding of the front truck
> back in 2011. Sacrificing 3985, DDA40X, 3 E units,
> a restored caboose, a switch engine, a road
> switcher and who knows what else for a Big Boy
> restoration just isn't worth it. 

To some it is. We have lost all of this equipment for one steam locomotive. If this 4014 doesn't earn its keep it could be the whole program. Thats what my problem is.

CS

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0637 seconds