Home Open Account Help 325 users online

Steam & Excursion > Simple photo says it all...4014 & Ed Dickens

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 05/14/19 07:27
Simple photo says it all...4014 & Ed Dickens
Author: Boomer41

Some may not like it, but this man and his crew have made history, and by all accounts it's an absolutely spectacular success. 

Date: 05/14/19 07:49
Re: Simple photo says it all...4014 & Ed Dickens
Author: Xander24

To think about all the negativity generated on this board that was directed towards him. Think of all the paying members who come here to just partake in a hobby they love among people with the same interest, and then were driven away by this negativity, and as a result are no longer paying members. Promises that he'd never get this job done. Same as the 844 last time. A constant and neurotic focus to put him down, and dial in on his mistakes, coupled with an inability to let the past go and cling to it, as if it still actually mattered. What generated this entitled sense of rightous self and negativity? The negative ones will tell you it's what Ed did to them. That his ego is the problem. Well I joined this board in 2009, and the behavior I've witnessed here towards him was equally generated by one thing, ego. 10 years of all of us being told he wasn't the man for the job. He was downright evil, and a terrible man to work for. Said he couldn't learn. That he was a jerk, and blah, blah, blah. We all know the story; it's Ego. One guy on here even mentioned bad "carma", yep, spelled with a C. LOL. I won't mention his alias or real name unless he fires the first shot, but oh am I ready if that shot is fired. It was always, "We were right, and he is wrong", and "I told you so" over, and over, and over. Well guess what? You did tell me so, and you were dead wrong.  It's been an interesting 10 years here, and now the 12th round has ended. Let those with eyes see, and those with ears hear.  Last man standing..........Ed Dickens. Long live the UP Steam Program. It's in good hands.

It's equally important to point out the ones who did drop the ego and throw their support behind Ed, knowing it's pointless gripping onto a past that doesn't even exist and can't be changed. The real light of this board and surely a reason many stuck around amongst the 10 years of negativity. Special acknowledgement to Ross Rowland, Bob Krieger, Wes Camp, and Nathansixchime. Total Class acts and a real contribution to both those on this board, and obviously to the Active Steam Community.

Edited 11 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/19 12:10 by Xander24.

Date: 05/14/19 07:55
Author: meixel

Congratulations to Ed and his crew!!!

John Meixel
Longmont, CO

Date: 05/14/19 08:01
Author: Spikes

Exactly! Yet note that only 3 or 4 people on train orders started and fueled that degradation of Ed. Most of us are more positive.

Date: 05/14/19 08:19
Author: andersonb109

Well said.

Date: 05/14/19 09:00
Author: the_expediter

Couldn't have said it better, Xander...Thanks to Ed and all those countless others that worked so hard to make 4014 and 844 trip to Utah and return happen !...SHM

Posted from Android

Date: 05/14/19 09:28
Author: wcamp1472

Congratulations to Ed for a great accomplishment.

It was an intimidating undertaking, and one that would have challenged all other experienced restoration mechanics.

There were lots of changes all affecting the outcome, and the combination of complications from fitting all those pieces together is astounding, especially concentrated at the final assembly.

You can’t argue with success.
And one measure of success is the inspired faces and the awe experienced by thousands of first hand viewers...

Somewhere in that crowd are young people who will be inspired...
To me that’s the real reason to cheer success...

Thank you Ed, for the hard work you put in, and to the team that backed your decisions and followed your lead.

A job well done.

Now, carry that confidence spirit forward, and put 4014 to work, all on his own.... you could be astounded at what he’s capable of.. once you get everything up to superheated temps and immense drafting..

Wes Camp

(12 cars ain’t gonna do it..)

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/14/19 09:33
Author: Trainhand

well stated.  I talked to Ed quite a while in Ogden on Friday. I found him to be pleasant and proud of his work on the 4014(rightfully so). He explained his homemade bracket for cab signals and how the brake system had to be changed to accommodate PTC, and exemptions they would apply for dealing with PTC. I found him also to be friendly(I don't have to work for him). I didn't get to ask him why plumbing was changed from the original ALCO plumbing, but that is for another time. In his defense as a person, I would have liked to have a picture made in the cab, but with the crowds present,and the cab closed, it could not be done. I understood.  Overall I had a very pleasant experience dealing with him. 

My only thoughts are THANKS to Union Pacific for continuing the steam program, and to the entire staff at the UP Steam program for putting on a memorable show in Utah and Wyoming.

Sam

Date: 05/14/19 09:40
Author: Narniaman

The credibility of Ed's critics was established for me when they started attacking his wife, and claimed that he had superhuman powers to give people Diabetes. 

And not established in a good way. . . . . .

Date: 05/14/19 10:43
Author: train671

Many appropriate comments and compliments about the "BB" consist as it traveled
from Cheyenne to Odgen.  Thanks to the unselfish folks who spent their efforts and
money to capture special moments along the way and then shared those images
with the vast majority of us who couldn't be there to enjoy this unique opportunity.
Thanks also to Union Pacific who allocated millions to this special project and
stayed in there when many slammed negatively them.

Date: 05/14/19 11:45
Author: Bob3985

I offer my congratulations and thanks to the Heritage steam team for accomplishing this great feat. I wish them a safe and successful future.
And I look forward to watchiing them depart eastward over my old district.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 05/14/19 11:46
Author: rrman6

Xander, you've hit the nail on its head, and much thanks to the others positively posting here.  I'm not discounting Steve Lee and the past crew, as I liked seeing he and his crew the same.  I've never worked with Ed, nor will I at my age of 78, but I appreciate the efforts of he and what the UP management has applied in supporting the Steam Program and all the various employees involved.  I'm in hopes this continues supporting the history and evolution of the railroad.  

Speaking of "evolution", the variations in management of the Steam Program is only one facet and is bound to change sometime in future years.  We must be pleased just to know the UP4014 is alive once again and rolling, something in past years I never envisioned.  Thanks again to all the "positive" TO's supporters and lets all enjoy this "Big Boy" while she has a heartbeat! 😊 🙏

Date: 05/14/19 12:01
Author: thehighwayman

Xander24 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To think about all the negativity generated on
> this board that was directed towards him. Think of
> all the paying memebers who come here to just
> partake in a hobby they love among people with the
> same interest, and then were driven away by this
> negativity, and as a result are no longer paying
> members. Promises that he'd never get this job
> done. Same as the 844 last time. A constant and
> neurotic focus to put him down, and dial in on his
> mistakes, coupled with an inability to let the
> past go and cling to it, as if it still
> actually mattered. What generated this entitled
> sense of rightous self and negativity? The
> negative ones will tell you it's what Ed did to
> them. That his ego is the problem. Well I joined
> this board in 2009, and the behavior I've
> witnessed here towards him was equally generated
> by one thing, ego. 10 years of all of us being
> told he wasn't the man for the job. He was
> downright evil, and a terrible man to work for.
> Said he couldn't learn. That he was a jerk, and
> blah, blah, blah. We all know the story; it's Ego.
> One guy on here even mentioned bad "carma", yep,
> spelled with a C. LOL. I won't mention his alias
> or real name unless he fires the first shot, but
> oh am I ready if that shot is fired. It was
> always, "We were right, and he is wrong", and "I
> told you so" over, and over, and over. Well guess
> what? You did tell me so, and you were dead
> wrong.  It's been an interesting 10 years here,
> and now the 12th round has ended. Let those with
> eyes see, and those with ears hear.  Last man
> standing..........Ed Dickens. Long live the UP
> Steam Program. It's in good hands.
>
> It's equally important to point out the ones who
> did drop the ego and throw their support behind
> Ed, knowing it's pointless gripping onto a past
> that doesn't even exist and can't be changed. The
> real light of this board and surely a reason many
> stuck around amongst the 10 years of negativity.
> Special acknowledgement to Ross Rowland, Bob
> Krieger, Wes Camp, and Nathansixchime. Total Class
> acts and a real contribution to both those on this
> board, and obviously to the Active Steam
> Community.

Thank you for clearly saying what many of us felt!!!

Will MacKenzie
Dundas, ON

Date: 05/14/19 13:11
Author: Bucyrus-Erie

Narniaman Wrote:
> The credibility of Ed's critics was established
> for me when they started attacking his wife, and
> claimed that he had superhuman powers to give
> people Diabetes. 
>
> And not established in a good way. . . . . .

Yup.

Also, the very critical "experienced" steam experts here not understanding the purpose and capabilities of CAD and CNC in the shop, and even mocking the UP steam shop for getting it .... spoke volumes to me.

Xander24 ... excellent post.

Anyone know approximately how old Austin Barker is?

Anyway, I hope all goes smoothly for the rest of 4014's inaugural run ... no unexpected gremlins pop up.  I also hope that the UP execs keep the steam program strong. I know this whole thing has kindled interest in steam far and wide ... hopefully spurring some donations to restoration/operation groups.

Jim Lee
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Date: 05/14/19 13:31

I know right? And one “expert” (he is very steam qualified) openly mocking folks on here for showing fascination and excitement during the test run with the “it’s alive oooh” garbage. Same guy who I witnessed personally mocking steam fans asking questions about the 4449 at the ORHC after the 4449’s last run down the trunk and back. Watched a father pick his son up and walk away shaking his head after that. I did the same. As we’ve seen over the last decade....people can be real jerks when they focus on ego.

Bucyrus-Erie Wrote:
> Narniaman Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The credibility of Ed's critics was established
> > for me when they started attacking his wife,
> and
> > claimed that he had superhuman powers to give
> > people Diabetes. 
> >
> > And not established in a good way. . . . . .
>
> Yup.
>
> Also, the very critical "experienced" steam
> experts here not understanding the purpose and
> capabilities of CAD and CNC in the shop, and even
> mocking the UP steam shop for getting it ....
> spoke volumes to me.
>
> Xander24 ... excellent post.
>
> Anyone know approximately how old Austin Barker
> is?
>
> Anyway, I hope all goes smoothly for the rest of
> 4014's inaugural run ... no unexpected gremlins
> pop up.  I also hope that the UP execs keep the
> steam program strong. I know this whole thing has
> kindled interest in steam far and wide ...
> hopefully spurring some donations to
> restoration/operation groups.
>
> Jim Lee
> Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/14/19 13:34

And who in their right mind would turn down a 5 axis CNC machine when it’s almost your livelihood to fabricate metal now? Surely a 5 axis CNC machine could be useful to the steam crew for some parts?

Date: 05/14/19 13:37
Author: steamfan49

Bucyrus-Erie Wrote:

> Anyone know approximately how old Austin Barker
> is?
> Jim Lee
> Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Jim, my poor memory cannot recall the exact age, but he was introduced as the youngest, and probably the most talented, member of the steam team.

Ronnie McCallay
Cañon City, CO

Date: 05/14/19 14:09
Author: victortorgrimson

Well said, I think its becoming clear that there was a silent majority of people on this forum who didn't agree with the tone of a lot of the assaults on the current UP steam crew, but perhaps didn't have enough knowledge of the situation to express their opinions.  I've never known Ed Dickens, so I don't know whether the character attacks on him had any validity or not, but it was always apparent that the tone in which the arguments were presented was not appropriate. 

I'm thrilled to see a Big Boy running and I think UP is getting great PR that hopefully will encourage further investment in this program.  Thank you to the current UP steam crew and the past UP steam crew!

No matter what your views are, I hope in the future everyone can just present their opinions in a civil and constructive manner.

Victor

Date: 05/14/19 15:41
Author: A-1

I admit, I was part of the Dickens bashing in his opening years. But, despite his missteps and growing pains, the UP chose to stick with him, and it's their circus. We can like it, or they can shut it down. And it's pretty easy to like when you come around and embrace the changes and remember that it doesn't cost you anything. The steam fan community attracts a lot of wet blanket purist types, grumping about things like white wall tires and unbolting a Mars light like it was giving it a Belpaire firebox and diamond stack. So picky that they'd rather sit at home and dwell on old pictures than come out and see a new look on an old friend thunder past. On the last two days, I saw thousands of people in a miles long motorcade and thousands of smiles standing trackside that were thrilled with how Ed is doing things. Union Pacific's heritage program has never been as interesting to follow as it is now, and for that, I applaud the whole crew.

Date: 05/14/19 18:53
Author: junctiontower

Well, just to set the record straight for many of us;  1) whatever bashing Ed has received, as far as I'm concerned, he brought on himself.   Do you you REALLY think so many people just out of the blue decided to bash this guy without cause?  2) Let's be perfectly honest.  Saddam Hussein could have headed up the UP steam program and many of you wouldn't have cared one bit as long as you got to see that Big Boy run.  I am 1500 miles from it and likely will NEVER see it run in person, so I honestly didn't give a darn either way.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0879 seconds