Home Open Account Help 398 users online

Steam & Excursion > Big Boy 4014 Restoration Illustrates Local Journalism is not Dead

Date: 05/14/19 12:02
Big Boy 4014 Restoration Illustrates Local Journalism is not Dead
Author: RailGiants

To the best of our research, the traditional national broadcast news outlets (ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN) did not originate reports about No. 4014's restoration or journey to Utah.  Associated Press wire service and Fox Business cable channel did, however.

Last week over 40 news articles, stories, and columns were posted on-line from local broadcast television & radio news, local print newspapers, magazines, and internet-only content.  Many traditional print newspapers have reduced journalist staff, or some ceased publication, because of reduced advertising revenues caused by free on-line news sources.

We are encouraged that many small town newspapers also sent reporters to witness Big Boy No. 4014's first post-restoration journey, capture the excitement of the crowds, and what bringing new life to and old steam locomotive means in small towns where the railroad is a multi-generational employer.

We invite you to read and watch these news stories we've complied on our Big Boy News webpage:   http://www.up4014.org

RailGiants Train Museum - Pomona California
The Railway and Locomotive Historical Society, Southern California Chapter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/19 12:18 by RailGiants.

Date: 05/14/19 15:35
Re: Big Boy 4014 Restoration Illustrates Local Journalism is not
Author: robj

Thanks!, looking for info I found several sites with news stories which I found to be good.  The result of the local coverage could be gauged by the visitors at Ogden.

Bob Jordan

Date: 05/14/19 16:25
Author: dad4077

This is my first post on this Forum and I think it's very appropriate to be directed to the GREAT folks at Rail Giants.

This steam locomotive fan from Oklahoma was thrilled when I first heard the 4014 was going to be restored.  My sincere thanks to the members for giving up your centerpiece locomotive for restoration.  I did get to see it in person at the museum and visit with the workers and volunteers before the move from CA.

Another journey to Las Vegas to see it on the mainline was again a thrill.  After that it was an annual trip to Cheyenne to check on it's progress.  Amazing to walk through the steam shop and see all the parts coming together.  Ed and his team were always friendly and willing to answer questions.

And now it's up and running!  A tribute to hard work, long hours, and dedication to bringing back a piece of history.  While I could not be there for the initial run, Lord willing, I will get to see it in person soon.

Again to the Rail Giants folks.....THANK YOU!!!!!  Your sacrifice has enabled this to happen.

And to the UP Steam Team.....congratulations on a job well done!

Ike

Date: 05/15/19 01:25
Author: ClubCar

The one and only newspaper in Baltimore, Maryland, The Baltimore Sun, published an article and featured a photo of the Big Boy this past weekend.  I did not see any TV coverage though.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 05/15/19 06:42
Author: Spikes

There was a short TV report in Los Angeles near May 10, I think ch4 KNBC.

Date: 05/15/19 08:06
150th Golden Spike Event-Local Journalism
Author: cozephyr

Lady reporter (she took off before I got her name) from Deseret News covered the 150th Golden Spike event 10 May 2019.   Promontory Summit, Utah with Central Pacific Jupiter in the background.  National Park Service did their best to host an estimated 20,000 visitors May 10th.

Date: 05/15/19 09:36
Re: 150th Golden Spike Event-Local Journalism
Author: Bucyrus-Erie

The NY Times had articles on two different days. The Times credited them both to The Associated Press. But, at least they ran the stories.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0522 seconds