Home Open Account Help 257 users online

Steam & Excursion > R&LHS Southern California Statement regarding Big Boy Restoration

Date: 05/14/19 14:07
R&LHS Southern California Statement regarding Big Boy Restoration
Author: RailGiants

The Railway and Locomotive Historical Society, Southern California Chapter is excited that Union Pacific completed restoration of Big Boy steam locomotive No. 4014.  Union Pacific and its steam crew partnered with many businesses and organizations to achieve this long shared Big Boy Steam Dream into reality for the world to experience.  We are the organization that preserved and cared for Big Boy No. 4014 during its 52 years at RailGiants Train Museum after retirement.  We returned Big Boy No. 4014 to Union Pacific so this famous locomotive could begin a second operational life.  On May 4, 2019, Big Boy No. 4014 reclaimed its prior home on the rails between Ogden, Utah and Cheyenne, Wyoming.  We look forward to Big Boy No. 4014 expanding its territory across more rails of the Union Pacific System.  Our organization’s gift to steam locomotive fans provides a wider appreciation of major industrial manufacturing and steam technologies that helped build the modern United States.

Date: 05/14/19 14:37
Re: R&LHS Southern California Statement regarding Big Boy Restora
Author: Tominde

Thank you for all that you did to care for 4014 and for your willingness to work with UP to bring it back to life.

Date: 05/14/19 15:25
Author: nycman

Yes, I appreciate your entire operation, having crawled all over 4014 at your facility, along with all the others.  I was impressed with your volunteers who always seemed to be working.  I have been gone from CA for many years, and was sad when you lost 4014.  Certainly hope she (he?) can return to the site and the folks who cared for her (him?) for many years. 

Date: 05/14/19 16:32
Author: MojaveBill

AMEN!!!!

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 05/15/19 07:36
Author: Arkeytek

nycman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, I appreciate your entire operation, having
> crawled all over 4014 at your facility, along with
> all the others.  I was impressed with your
> volunteers who always seemed to be working.  I
> have been gone from CA for many years, and was sad
> when you lost 4014.  Certainly hope she (he?) can
> return to the site and the folks who cared for her
> (him?) for many years. 

As a kid, I, too, "crawled all over 4014." That was long before liability issues restricted access somewhat. While I was sorry to see 4014 leave Southern California, the final outcome could not have been more perfect. I concur that R&LHS should be congratulated for the 42 years of dedication to this locomotive. Multiple graduation activities the last few weeks kept me away from the festivities. [A thank you to all the TOs that allowed me to see the action from afar!]  So I hope 4014 does come to Southern California some day as well; I'm still here!

Date: 05/15/19 14:26
Author: SWChief

My thanks to you too!  My kids and I got to climb and tour the the 4014 and the 6915 (DD40AX) when visiting the LA County Fair back in the late 90's. 

I especially appreciated the fascinating info about the Big Boys in general and the 4014 in particular that your docent offered to the visitors of the cab of the 4014 during the Fair.  I remember him talking about the rate of fuel and water consumption of the BB under various circumstances and conditions, the size of the firebox, info on the flues and smoke box, and the amount of metal used, etc, as well as operational facts from when the Big Boy ran in revenue service in the 40's and 50's.  He gave references and comparisons of the data to other things that Joe public could relate too, so the avg guy could wrap his mind around the immensity of that loco and what it could do.  It was indeed very informative and fascinating. Not dry and boring.    Thanks!!

Greg

PS, we also liked being able to sit in the engineers seat of the DD40 and blow her horn and seeing the SP and ATSF steam locos and equipment as well.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.041 seconds