Home Open Account Help 288 users online

Steam & Excursion > UP Communication Lines ??

Date: 05/15/19 18:29
UP Communication Lines ??
Author: rrman6

Although I wasn't able to follow the celabratory train and attend the 150th Anniversary in person, I've enjoyed following it all here on TO's.
Through several photos submitted, I've noticed the paralleling UP communications lines in the Granger, WY area and in other areas that appear with multiple lines.  It seems most other railroads have eliminated such in recent years and in some areas I know the UP has followed likewise.  
I'm curious!  Are all these wires in the Granger area and some other WY/UT areas still active and what are the reason(s) they still exist in such pristine condition?  No doubt needed for the signal lines and with the power wires on top, but there are so many wires on the crossarms below that I'd think nowadays would be replaced by microwave and wireless communications. Please help!!

Date: 05/15/19 18:57
Re: UP Communication Lines ??
Author: jethat

Those are uti;ity poles have little or nothing to with the RR. There are actually telegraph pole still out there in remote placees but those are obviously utilty lines

Date: 05/15/19 19:33
Author: NDHolmes

Those are absolutely UP signal and signal power circuits.  Very distinct construction, and definitely not commercial utility.   I would suspect the power is still in use due to the lack of commercial AC in some of the more remote signal locations, but why the other low(er) voltage circuits are still open wire (or at least were until recently, given the excellent condition), I don't have a clue.  There are spots in western Nebraska with operable signal circuits as well.  It's possible it's just momentum - no need for an upgrade, so no upgrade performed.  I would think with the modernization and PTC implementation in the last few years that their days would be numbered.  UP has been busy disposing of the signal line across many parts of the system as part of the recent modernizations, but there's still open wire in Nebraska, Utah, and Idaho that I know of.

I doubt any of them are communications any more, particularly given the lack of any transpositions to be seen in the lower wires.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/19 19:35 by NDHolmes.

Date: 05/15/19 19:42
Author: jbwest

While chasing on Sunday I was surprised by the code lines as well, since in most places they have disappearred.  While they look in good condition for the most part, I saw a few places were the poles were leaning precariously and I am guessing the lines are out of service and UP just hasin't gotten around to salvaging them yet.  I also noticed a lot of signal replacement going on, I'm wondering if the lines might have been in service until recently.  Or perhaps still are in whole or part.  The segement seems to be getting a lot of maintenance attention with a major tie program as well.  In the bottom picture above, which is one of mine, I specially wanted to get the code line in the picture ( and got a few friendly folks as a bonus).

JBWX

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/19 20:04 by jbwest.

Date: 05/15/19 20:22

jethat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Those are uti;ity poles have little or nothing to
> with the RR. There are actually telegraph pole
> still out there in remote placees but those are
> obviously utilty lines.

I'm in agreement with NDHolmes.  The typical UP lines I recall has the short crossarm with AC power lines on top.  Distanced below are the longer crossarms that held signal and DC communication lines.  I expect ND is also correct in the fact many of the latter wires are mostly dead for communications and that PTC circuits have replaced most of the former signal circuits.  Enclosed are some more photos showing UP milepost indicators and some others that are commercial utility power poles, but that are either on opposite sides or the track or further away from tracks and paralleling a dirt road.

1.  Showing the typical pole & crossarm arrangement w/ AC power lines on short crossarm at top and other arms below.

2.  Showing the one pole on curve with milepost indicators.

3.  Similar view as #2

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/19 20:35 by rrman6.

Date: 05/15/19 20:28

4.  Multiple crossarms of UP showing cross braces and without the short crossarm as previous photos.

5.  Showing the dirt road with only commercial power line poles only.

6.  Showing UP poleline between train and highway and commercial power line paralleling track on near side.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/19 20:31 by rrman6.

Date: 05/16/19 06:57
Author: Bob3985

The poles and crossarms were a vital part of the rilroad communications system for many decades. I am glad some of you have documented them before they are all gone due to PTC and buried cable.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 05/16/19 10:24
Author: jbwest

I think us older railfan photogs have a love hate relationship with the old code lines, but they were certainly an integral part of the railroad scene.

JBWX

Date: 05/16/19 11:20
Author: SD45X

They were laid over and cut at Strawberry. Near Peterson UT.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/16/19 14:06
Author: Trainman41

Every since I was a kid,  I considered line poles part of a mainline railroad.  No line poles meant it was probably a branch line or a spur.  Now that most of the line poles
have disappeared off of the main railroads,  I just can't get use to seeing a heavy traveled mainline, with no poles...just doesn't seem like a real busy railroad..  I guess
it just part of the things lost from the railroad scene,  like cabooses, interlocking towers,  train order signals,  water tanks and columns , searchlight signals...and the list goes on.

Date: 05/16/19 15:28
Author: ats90mph

From what I’ve seen it’s usually the A/C on the top cross arm that is still active. On parts of the Lynndyl Sub, the lower cross arms for the signal have been removed.  

Date: 05/16/19 16:13
Author: UP951West

Trainman41 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Every since I was a kid,  I considered line poles
> part of a mainline railroad.  No line poles meant
> it was probably a branch line or a spur.  Now
> that most of the line poles
> have disappeared off of the main railroads,  I
> just can't get use to seeing a heavy traveled
> mainline, with no poles...just doesn't seem like a
> real busy railroad..  I guess
> it just part of the things lost from the railroad
> scene,  like cabooses, interlocking towers, 
> train order signals,  water tanks and columns ,
> searchlight signals...and the list goes on.

I certainly do agree with your comments here .  Thanks for posting.   --Kelly

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0665 seconds