Home Open Account Help 274 users online

Steam & Excursion > Grand Canyon Charter this October

Date: 06/07/19 17:57
Grand Canyon Charter this October
Author: ACR_Ted

I've been giving some thought to the Trains Magazine Charter coming up this October on the Grand Canyon Ry....and seeing as how I've never done a photo shoot charter type event before I am wondering what to expect. It does sound interesting and I've always had an interest in these ex LS&I steam engines.

Is the 29 going into storage pending repairs or just being stored indefinately?

Here are a couple of photos I shot of the 29 over the past few years....

Photo 1 was taken nearly 50 years ago of the dead line at Marquette in November of 1969. There were quite a few LS&I steam engines stored here along with a few cars.
Photo 2 is 21 years later as the 29 is headed south at Pronghorn road crossing just north of Williams July 5, 1990.

Ted

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/19 17:59 by ACR_Ted.

Date: 06/07/19 19:57
Re: Grand Canyon Charter this October
Author: train671

Participating in a photo charter is a great way to meet new friends and enjoy some great opportunities
to get some great images at some unique locations.  Because you will have a smaller group they
will run the engine by several times so you will almost always get "the shot" you want.  Treat
yourself and "jump on board" AND keep in mind that you will wind up at the Grand Canyon.
I would assume that they will pose the engine by the unique Santa Fe Depot actually at
the Canyon.

Date: 06/07/19 20:22
Author: callum_out

Ted, it's not a cheap trip to begin with, the charter brings lots of fun and great photo ops for not a lot
more than a first class ticket.

Out

Date: 06/08/19 03:05
Author: andersonb109

Be prepared for lots or exercise waking to some of the photo locations. Typically, most private photo charters are limited to 40 or so participants so the TRAINS group is larger than most which could make for some rather tight conditions at some of the runpast locations.  Here's one of my efforts from a Lerro Productions charter in 2011. Re in-actors and the the use of vintage vehicles, farm equipment, animals, etc. often help to create scenes that you wouldn't get if photographing the service trains on your own. Equipment on the train is typically prototypical with no open tourist cars or other intrusive elements such as, safety vests, flags on the loco, etc. If you go, please be respectful of those shooting video. No talking or moving about on the photo line until the entire train has passed, turn off the beep on your camera, and no bright clothing. Have a blast if you go. 

Date: 06/08/19 07:17
Author: steamfan49

Ted, I'm signed up, for all the reasons others have already stated, but my primary reason is simply to be able to shoot runbys of the 29 pulling vintage passenger cars.  I have ridden behind her before but do not have a single good photo of the locomotive in action.  And speaking of the vintage passenger cars, they are scheduled to become "Polar Express" cars in the near future, so this will probably be the last opportunity to photograph them in vintage livery, as well.

Hope to see you there.

Ronnie McCallay
Cañon City, CO

Date: 06/08/19 08:16
Author: randyr

I signed up as well this morning. Rode the train the first year of operation and the Polar Express last December with 40% of the grandkids. Even though I live in the Phoenix area, I don't get up to Williams very often, this will "force" me to get up there. Just need to work with my wife, "forgiveness is easier to receive than permission". Thanks to the OP for the heads up.

Randy in PHX

Date: 06/08/19 14:16
Author: nycman

Go for it, you won't be sorry.  I have done many in the last several years, including the Grand Canyon.  Can't do it any more, but sure miss it.

Date: 06/08/19 14:51
Author: Ironman

Note the tender booster in photo 1!

-Alan

Date: 06/08/19 17:12

ACR_Ted Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've been giving some thought to the Trains Magazine Charter coming up this October on the Grand Canyon Ry....and seeing as how I've never done a photo shoot charter type event before I am wondering what to expect. 

Ted, I should add that I have been on several of the Trains Magazine Charters and Jim Wrinn along with Kevin Gilliam do a superb job of choosing photo run-by spots and managing the photo line.

> Is the 29 going into storage pending repairs or just being stored indefinately?

I've read the 29 is being retired permanently, but also read, I think on the Grand Canyon web site, that she would be kept in running condition with the possibility of coming out on rare occasions.  Not knowing which is true, I'm not taking a chance on trying to catch her in the future.

Ronnie McCallay
Cañon City, CO

Date: 09/19/19 09:33

Is this event still going to run? I see that Steam Diary doesn't say anything about it, and the link to the GCR's site doesn't bring up anything about the special either.

I do have a room reserved in Williams for the weekend but I haven't yet decided about buying a ticket.

Thanks...

Ted

Date: 09/19/19 10:28

Ted, I think it is still on. I have a ticket and have not heard any news of it not happening.

Ronnie McCallay
Cañon City, CO

Date: 09/19/19 11:06

I just called them and they said it is sold out, but she thought 2 seats might be available from a cancel.

Wonder why it is gone from Steam Diary and the link to the GCR's page is dead?

Ted

Date: 09/19/19 22:02
Author: mundo

29 will be doule heading this Saturday Sept 21, on the 100th anniveersary of the Grand Canyon National park.

Three trains.  One BNSF bussines cars, the double head steam and the regular tourist train.

Date: 09/20/19 19:45

Yep - I am here in Williams and I did get some good shots of the BNSF special. Looks like good weather for tomorrow with lots of trains running.

Ted

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0502 seconds