Home Open Account Help 182 users online

Steam & Excursion > 4014 maintenance list?


Date: 06/09/19 04:47
4014 maintenance list?
Author: KDC

It sure would be nice to know what the steam crew is doing to the 4014 since it returned from Ogden.

Posted from iPhone



Date: 06/09/19 07:48
Re: 4014 maintenance list?
Author: gregscholl

I thought the UP had some sort of Fan Site, where they made announcements, and showed videos of goings-on now and then.  That is where I would expect for anything along those lines to be posted.  Otherwise I would NOT expect it to be public information unless the steam crew wanted it that way.  Also I would think they have better things to do, like fixing any issues, or prepping for the next tour in July versus updating everyone.  I guess the problem in todays cyber world everyone wants to know everything, about everyones stuff, all the time, and instantly. Then those folks are still not satisfied, and want more explanation.  How did we survive before the internet trying to figure out when a steam train was going to run.....Oh wait we had to have a phone number and such, and when we did homework we would usually be chasing a lot of trips with nobody else around.  Not likely today is it!!!

I should go to the movies soon.  I haven't had Movie Popcorn in awhile!!! :)

Greg Scholl
http://www.gregschollvideo.com



Date: 06/09/19 08:46
Re: 4014 maintenance list?
Author: CPRR

Let’s see, new packing on the cylinder blow by issue on both locomotives, anything else?

Posted from iPhone



Date: 06/09/19 08:50
Re: 4014 maintenance list?
Author: Keystone1

I would add a pair of builder’s plates, (repro?), covers on the cylinder heads and steam chests, and covers over the two lubricator chain drives.  



Date: 06/09/19 09:25
Re: 4014 maintenance list?
Author: RailRat

gregscholl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I thought the UP had some sort of Fan Site, where
> they made announcements, and showed videos of
> goings-on now and then.  That is where I would
> expect for anything along those lines to be
> posted.  Otherwise I would NOT expect it to be
> public information unless the steam crew wanted it
> that way.  Also I would think they have better
> things to do, like fixing any issues, or prepping
> for the next tour in July versus updating
> everyone.  I guess the problem in todays cyber
> world everyone wants to know everything, about
> everyones stuff, all the time, and instantly. Then
> those folks are still not satisfied, and want more
> explanation.  How did we survive before the
> internet trying to figure out when a steam train
> was going to run.....Oh wait we had to have a
> phone number and such, and when we did homework we
> would usually be chasing a lot of trips with
> nobody else around.  Not likely today is it!!!
>
> I should go to the movies soon.  I haven't had
> Movie Popcorn in awhile!!! :)
>
> Greg Scholl
> http://www.gregschollvideo.com

Yes Greg I agree, doing homework, and making Phone calls from the old Landline, I actually got the phone number to the Steam Shop (or Steve's office number), in the early 90's, and they would actually answer the phone, and would politely answer any questions regarding upcoming trips, scedule, etc.

I even recived a letter from Steve in 1992 regarding the trip to NRHS in San Jose. (Can't find where I put the actual letter right now)

However I should also mention in reply to this thread, and to anyone wondering what's going on, that Ed does have an email adress, maybe the best way to get updates for those who need to know.

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA






Date: 06/09/19 10:45
Re: 4014 maintenance list?
Author: bankshotone

gregscholl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I thought the UP had some sort of Fan Site, where
> they made announcements, and showed videos of
> goings-on now and then.  
> Greg Scholl
> http://www.gregschollvideo.com

Yes they do. Problem is if you start asking any specific questions they kick you off. Guess how I know that!!

Posted from Android



Date: 06/09/19 15:22
Re: 4014 maintenance list?
Author: PHall

bankshotone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> gregscholl Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I thought the UP had some sort of Fan Site,
> where
> > they made announcements, and showed videos of
> > goings-on now and then.  
> > Greg Scholl
> > http://www.gregschollvideo.com
>
> Yes they do. Problem is if you start asking any
> specific questions they kick you off. Guess how I
> know that!!
>
> Posted from Android

That's because it's meant to be a ONE WAY site. Their "infomation" goes out. Period.



Date: 06/09/19 16:09
Re: 4014 maintenance list?
Author: CaliforniaSteam

They could send it to North Platte for all the work since there is surpluss of man power there now. Spend some more money on it in the days of cost cutting.

CS



Date: 06/09/19 18:10
Re: 4014 maintenance list?
Author: bankshotone

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's because it's meant to be a ONE WAY site.
> Their "infomation" goes out. Period.

On the contrary, Ed Dickens has answered many questions from the gp. And before you say it, yes I know he is not an admin or runs the page in any way.



Date: 06/09/19 19:56
Re: 4014 maintenance list?
Author: ProAmtrak

Uh yeah, but like the moderators they don't like the truth or anything that goes against their views!

Posted from Android



Date: 06/09/19 21:28
Re: 4014 maintenance list?
Author: SSgtC

ProAmtrak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Uh yeah, but like the moderators they don't like
> the truth or anything that goes against their
> views!
>
> Posted from Android

Why would you think it would be any other way? The page was specifically created as a PR tool for the UP. Any even halfway competent PR department will strictly manage the flow of information and what is and is not discussed on their platform



Date: 06/09/19 23:44
Re: 4014 maintenance list?
Author: dbesade

bankshotone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> PHall Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > That's because it's meant to be a ONE WAY site.
> > Their "infomation" goes out. Period.
>
> On the contrary, Ed Dickens has answered many
> questions from the gp. And before you say it, yes
> I know he is not an admin or runs the page in any
> way.

I'll second that... only time things get deleted is when people start acting like dickheads. As another has already stated... not sure what everyone was expecting, its a social media (PR) site.

Regards,

Dave



Date: 06/10/19 05:17
Re: 4014 maintenance list?
Author: bankshotone

dbesade Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> I'll second that... only time things get deleted
> is when people start acting like dickheads. As
> another has already stated... not sure what
> everyone was expecting, its a social media (PR)
> site.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dave

I got kicked off for asking about the 3985 so apparently that means I'm acting like a dick head?
I have a friend that NEVER posted anything just was there to read about the information and he was deleted also. Only reason we can think of is because the 3985 was in his profile picture.

Posted from Android



Date: 06/10/19 06:47
Re: 4014 maintenance list?
Author: Bob3985

Last I heard Ed is out scouting the next legs of the year long events and the guys are going over the 4014 addressing some of the issue they discovered along the way to Ogden. The two trips have already been announced at Omaha and Pamona. And the Duluth museum has announced a display on their site so that should give all a hint as to the goings on in the future.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY



Date: 06/10/19 08:27
Re: 4014 maintenance list?
Author: LarryDoyle

Remember:  Steam locomotives always have issues.  Old ones and fresh ones, every day.  Always have.  Always will.  The engineer fills out his report daily and turns it into the shiop for attention before the next trip.  That's why the railroads got rid of 'em.

-John



Date: 06/10/19 09:37
Re: 4014 maintenance list?
Author: cchan006

bankshotone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I got kicked off for asking about the 3985 so
> apparently that means I'm acting like a dick head?
>
> I have a friend that NEVER posted anything just
> was there to read about the information and he was
> deleted also. Only reason we can think of is
> because the 3985 was in his profile picture.

I appreciate your sharing that info. Unlike people too sensitive to handle "negative" stuff, I find things like this to be very educational. 



Date: 06/10/19 12:44
Re: 4014 maintenance list?
Author: dbesade

bankshotone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> dbesade Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> >
> > I'll second that... only time things get
> deleted
> > is when people start acting like dickheads. As
> > another has already stated... not sure what
> > everyone was expecting, its a social media (PR)
> > site.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Dave
>
> I got kicked off for asking about the 3985 so
> apparently that means I'm acting like a dick head?
>
> I have a friend that NEVER posted anything just
> was there to read about the information and he was
> deleted also. Only reason we can think of is
> because the 3985 was in his profile picture.
>
> Posted from Android

Lets put this in perspective, the Official UP Steam Club has 27,277 Members as of this reply. I don't knw you if moderate any large facebook groups, but I do. I can tell you 100% with a closed groupt that size, the moderators are super busy and likely could give a crap about your view of the 3985.  I find most users who are "deleted" simply are inexperienced with social media and have managed to remove themselves.

Regards,

Dave



Date: 06/10/19 13:01
Re: 4014 maintenance list?
Author: bankshotone

dbesade Wrote:
----------------------------------------
>
> Lets put this in perspective, the Official UP
> Steam Club has 27,277 Members as of this reply. I
> don't knw you if moderate any large facebook
> groups, but I do. I can tell you 100% with a
> closed groupt that size, the moderators are super
> busy and likely could give a crap about your view
> of the 3985.  I find most users who are "deleted"
> simply are inexperienced with social media and
> have managed to remove themselves.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dave

I'm painfully familiar with the "inexperienced" users and the ones with fake profiles.
That's all well and good but I don't get how asking a question, yes question not "view" about the 3985 Warrants being kicked off.



Date: 06/10/19 13:45
Re: 4014 maintenance list?
Author: dbesade

bankshotone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> dbesade Wrote:
> ----------------------------------------
> >
> > Lets put this in perspective, the Official UP
> > Steam Club has 27,277 Members as of this reply.
> I
> > don't knw you if moderate any large facebook
> > groups, but I do. I can tell you 100% with a
> > closed groupt that size, the moderators are
> super
> > busy and likely could give a crap about your
> view
> > of the 3985.  I find most users who are
> "deleted"
> > simply are inexperienced with social media and
> > have managed to remove themselves.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Dave
>
> I'm painfully familiar with the "inexperienced"
> users and the ones with fake profiles.
> That's all well and good but I don't get how
> asking a question, yes question not "view" about
> the 3985 Warrants being kicked off.

I'm not a moderator there so don't know the whole story. I'll maintain I find it hard to believe with a group that size they would be targeting anything specific. Especially when they have made it clear that they will remove posts and pictures showing illegal activity on railroad ROW. Who knows... social media is a strange animal.

Regards,

Dave



[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1342 seconds