Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Steam & Excursion > from a desk drawer

Date: 06/09/19 14:30
from a desk drawer
Author: Ardenwood

I discovered these as I was looking for something else 
Picture 1.  X8444 in grey is going by a plant.  Any suggestions about the time and place?
Picture 2.  There is patchy snow on the ground and it is evening. Any ideas where and when?
Picture 3.  I know at least it is Norfolk and Western 1218 and it was on July 30, 1987 Waas it near Glenn Lynn?
    Any help or comments will be appreciated?

Date: 06/09/19 15:00
Re: from a desk drawer
Author: dan

1 is on denver cheyenne run

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/19 15:04 by dan.

Date: 06/09/19 16:11
Author: Bob3985

Well, number one is in Weld County Colorado and I will have to think about where.
Also it is between 1987 and 1989 as that would have been when 8444 was numbered as such and in the two tone gray paint scheme.
We renumbered 844 in 1989.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 06/09/19 16:18
Author: ACL3042

Number 1 is Peckham, CO.

ACL3042
Gary Rich

Date: 06/09/19 16:43

Thank you dan, Bob and Gary.  I saw the red-and-white checker might ring someone's bell.  I somehow thought of a catfood company or something and am glad to solve the mystery thanks to you.  I have to apologize my misspelling the town's namr for the thrd picture.  I just learned from Wiki that it is Glen Lyn, VA. Haruo

Date: 06/09/19 18:32
Author: ACL3042

This is the logo for Purnia mills in photo 1. It used to be Purnia Chows. They produce all kinds of animal feeds.

ACL3042
Gary Rich

Date: 06/09/19 19:30
Author: gregscholl

#1 before JULY 1989.  That was when 844 got its original number.  I know cause I shot the first trip to Omaha which was its first trip without that last 4.  Just mentioned that to further Bob's time-frame on the digits and two-tone gray.

#2- No clue what or where

#3 - Could this be the trip you and your buddy Ray chased where I was chasing as well, between Kenova and Cincinnati?  It would have been right after the NRHS Convention in Huntington, WV (Kenova is nearby on the N&W).  The 1218, water car and crew baggage car seen in your picture ran from Kenova to Portsmouth without a train.  In Portsmouth they picked up a short freight with caboose, and headed on the Peavine to Cincinnati.  I know you were there for that trip which was August 1991, the final year 1218 would operate, and last time it was in this area.  Of course I could be wrong and it might have been west of Roanoke around Glen Lyn, but the lack of smoke might mean lack of train as well.  The area east of Portsmouth is pretty flat and the highway is close for many miles.  Sun would be about right too.  Might also be why only the engine and tool car are shown, since there was nothing behind that.  Just a guess!!

Greg Scholl
http://www.gregschollvideo.com

Date: 06/10/19 06:06
Author: Hillcrest

Photo #2, judging by the locomotive and consist appears to be Grand Canyon 29, but I'm not betttin' the farm on it...

Cheers, Dave

Date: 06/10/19 10:38
Author: MaryMcPherson

Hillcrest Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Photo #2, judging by the locomotive and consist
> appears to be Grand Canyon 29, but I'm not
> betttin' the farm on it...
>
> Cheers, Dave

I'd go ahead and bet the farm on it.  Soybeans won't sell these days.  And besides, since I don't have a farm, it would be someone else's and not my problem if I lost anyway.

That does on further review look like Harriman coaches, and that could well be #29 on the head end.  I think Hillcrest has a winner here.  Boiler looks a little fat to be #18.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/19 10:39 by MaryMcPherson.

Date: 06/10/19 13:50

Thnk you Greg, Hillcrest, and MaryMcPherson
    I at least got a date of Picture 2.  It is December 23, 1990.  A bigger mistake was that the slide  was backward.
I get the feeling the train is returning from the South Rim to Williams.
    Here are shots of 18 and 29.  Thank you again. Haruo

Date: 06/13/19 10:46

The picture of Grand Canyon #18 was shot on a 36mm negative color film.  Could you help me getting rid of the green stains?
I am adding morning and evening shots.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0714 seconds