Home Open Account Help 355 users online

Steam & Excursion > Big Boy Race to Ogden Recap

Date: 06/17/19 01:28
Big Boy Race to Ogden Recap
Author: DelMonteX

My chase of the Big Boy began on Sunday May 5th, catching the train at Creston Wyoming, following all the to Ogden. 
I posted a link to my video of the trip, here it is again in case you missed it:
https://vimeo.com/336509076
Here’s some of my favorites stills from the trip.1) At Creston, the going away shot had the best light.   2) Next stop was Tipton.  The drone was a great advantage here.  A couple minutes out and the crown is pretty good sized including a Trains Mag tour bus.   About half of the photographers were greatly disappointed, as this freight skunked them.   3) Seeing the “skunking” unfolding from the air, I flew the drone far enough west to exclude the freight and most of the fans.   “Eco” mode is not quite as dramatic!

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Date: 06/17/19 01:29
Re: Big Boy Race to Ogden Recap

4) The train is a few miles west of Point of Rocks Wyoming and the wind is blowing so strong, we could barely hold down our perches on a bluff above the tracks.   5) Monday morning, I chose my first location to be Carter Wyoming, how could I not.   About a mile east of downtown Carter (population 10), with mostly nobody in the shot.   6) Here’s the ground shot at Carter.

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Date: 06/17/19 01:30

7) Tuesday was a day of rest (and reconnaissance) and Wednesday morning started out pretty rainy.    Here’s a couple of shots at Castle Rock, Utah, as the train comes down off the hill from Wahsatch.  8) Another shot at Castle Rock.   9) Next stop was a Rest stop.  Looked like a good idea the day before, especially from the air.  But it was still raining a bit, so I stood on the hill and got these shots, along with about 200 other people.  

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Date: 06/17/19 01:31

10) Another shot from the Rest Stop on I-80.   11) A few miles west after a stop at Echo.  12) Finally, at Riverdale Utah, a couple miles south (RR East) of Ogden.  Look Ma! No Diesel!  Sure was a good trip.  Congratulations UP and all the people involved in the restoration and this trip. 

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Date: 06/17/19 05:32
Author: refarkas

An "A+" set of photos. Your drone certainly made a difference.
Bob

Date: 06/17/19 05:46
Author: bobk

Great shots!

Date: 06/17/19 08:00
Author: sgriggs

Great work!  Thanks for posting them.

Scott Griggs
Louisville, KY

Date: 06/17/19 08:28
Author: Trainhand

I'm somewhere in #10.

sam

Date: 06/17/19 14:26
Author: ns1000

Very nice..!!  Thanks for sharing.

Date: 06/18/19 17:28
Author: howeld

I was one of the skunked. Heard the freight blow in distance and thought about moving far a split second. Oh well only got skunked twice on the trip from Cheyenne to Ogden.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/19/19 13:54
Author: gregscholl

My fav is the one with all the water, and nice lighting.  Is that Carter?  It must be the day from Rock Springs to Evanston.
Nice photos, but that one stands out to me.
Greg

Date: 06/19/19 23:11

Yes, thats the outskirts of Carter Wyoming!

Thanks all, for the nice comments!

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0633 seconds