Home Open Account Help 251 users online

Steam & Excursion > CB&Q 5631 in Sheridan being sold?

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 07/06/19 06:18
CB&Q 5631 in Sheridan being sold?
Author: Spoony81

A story in the County 3 news is saying CB&Q O-5 class 4-8-4 5631in Sheridan, WY is potentially being sold to Wasatch Railroad Contractors

https://county3.news/2019/07/05/locomotive-for-sale/

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/19 06:19 by Spoony81.

Date: 07/06/19 07:11
Re: CB&Q 5631 in Sheridan being sold?
Author: Frisco1522

I just ordered a case of popcorn from Amazon.   Just in case.

Date: 07/06/19 07:48
Author: elueck

What is posted on other forums is that Wasatch is being contracted for asbestos abatement.  So we shall see.

Date: 07/06/19 07:55
Author: NKPBernet

Spoony81 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A story in the County 3 news is saying CB&Q O-5
> class 4-8-4 5631in Sheridan, WY is potentially
> being sold to Wasatch Railroad Contractors
>
> https://county3.news/2019/07/05/locomotive-for-sal
> e/
>
> Posted from iPhone

Where are they going to run it, what train will it pull?

Date: 07/06/19 08:07
Author: CPR_4000

The article is contradictory. First they say the town will "enter into a contract with Wasatch Railroad Contractors for the sale of the historic steam locomotive," then at the end they say "The Rotary Club reached out to the Wasatch Railroad Contractors, who have presented a scope of work to the club and the city." I'd think "a scope of work" would relate to asbestos abatement, unless it's a reference to how they'll move the engine.

Date: 07/06/19 08:18
Author: Wasatch-RR-Cont

The article is a little vague. The City has reached out to us as a source that can aid in finding a new home for the locomotive and as an organization that can abate the locomotive, cosmetically restore it or move it, whatever the case may be. There is no contract as of today and I am scheduled to meet with the City Council on Monday to discuss all of the options included in our scope of work.

If you or your organization are interested in the locomotive, please let us know. One of our proposed tasks would be that of vetting organizations that show interest to ensure they have the resources to move it. Go Fund Me groups, arm chair quarter backs and pipe dreamers are not welcome! Part of the reason that the City wants Wasatch involved is to keep the NeXt Generation of young Steam people from screwing up an otherwise great opportunity for a quality museum or organization to have the locomotive.

If you have questions please contact me directly.

Thank you,

- John E. Rimmasch

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/06/19 08:22
Author: HotWater

Thanks for clarifying the situation, John.  Also, My I suggest that the Illinois Railway Museum would be an EXCELLENT home for the 5631, since they also have a CB&Q Hudson, number 3007.

Date: 07/06/19 09:09

Just to be clear. There are a number of very well established museums that could take the locomotive. The question becomes, who wants it and who has the TRUE ability to make it happen. Mine is not to play favorites, mine is to ensure that no matter what, it gets the best possible chance for long term survival.

We will entertain all present and viable offers! Go Fund Me is NOT A PRESENT viable offer. It is a wish.

- John E. Rimmasch

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/06/19 09:58
Author: LIL_BUDDY

I wonder what whistle will be on it if they run it someday? <ducks for cover>

Date: 07/06/19 10:20
Author: tomstp

It would be sad to see it leave.   I think the city should maintain the engine and put a cover over it.which would reduce the cost of having it.  It is part of their history.

Date: 07/06/19 11:41

The harsh reality is that Cities are being faced with harder and harder financial decisions. Do you fix, restore or protect a steam locomotive in the park, or do they build the new splash pad that the citizens voted for and possibly even bonded for. The splash pad is fun, new and exciting . The steam locomotive on the other hand is an eye sore, it spews asbestos and isn’t “fun”. Then, when I show up and tell them that putting a cover over it, painting it and abating it is a half million dollar price tag.... it makes that $175,000.00 splash pad look really “fun”, and affordable.

The harsh reality is; cities don’t want these any more and we (our industry) is going to either protect them and find homes for them, or we will watch them get scrapped (recent story/Go Fund Me/ Pipe Dream gone wrong). Truth is, one of the two will be ever more the reality. I feel like we are doing our part to prevent the scrapping when we can see clearly that when placed on the ballot against the Splash Pad.... we can not win.

What is happening is Wyoming is only what we will start to see more and more and more of in the future.... everywhere.

- John E. Rimmasch

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/06/19 12:13
Author: Jbarton

Thank you John for this information.  Someday I sure would like to see our 5629 "spruced" up and perhaps moved to a different location within the museum grounds at CRRM.

Jim Barton

Date: 07/06/19 12:58
Author: highgreengraphics

Hey, Mr. B - Does BNSF need a Steam Program? === === = === JLH

Date: 07/06/19 14:36
Author: wpjones

Funny you should mention this. In the early Nineties before BNSF it was looked into enough that this very Engine was chosen as the one to restore. Even talked about the shop and home base would be at Havelock on the North side of the main line. We all know how this turned out. No Steam program and the Santa Fe couldn't get rid of BN1, 2 and 3 fast enough.
Oh Well.
Steve

highgreengraphics Wrote:
> Hey, Mr. B - Does BNSF need a Steam Program? ===
> === = === JLH

Date: 07/06/19 15:06
Author: LarryDoyle

highgreengraphics Wrote:
> Hey, Mr. B - Does BNSF need a Steam Program? === === = === JLH

IIRC, BNSF does own a 4-8-4.

-LD

Date: 07/06/19 15:10
Author: gbmott

Wasatch-RR-Cont Wrote:

> Then, when I show up and tell them that putting a
> cover over it, painting it and abating it is a
> half million dollar price tag.... 

John -- Sure wish you would tell that to the City Council in Eau Claire, WS, that wants to bring recently-operational (1472 ticket expired) SOO 2719 back from a good home at LSRM in Duluth to Eau Claire to be stuffed and mounted.  Their idea of the cost of moving, buiding a shelter, etc., was laughable but they still haven't given up.

Gordon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/19 15:27 by gbmott.

Date: 07/06/19 16:15
Author: HotWater

LarryDoyle Wrote:
> highgreengraphics Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Hey, Mr. B - Does BNSF need a Steam Program? ===
> === = === JLH
>
> IIRC, BNSF does own a 4-8-4.
>
> -LD

That's my understanding also, i.e the Great Northern 4-8-4 just west of the depot in Havre, Montana.

Date: 07/06/19 19:46
Author: gbmott

That locomotive was kept for a number of years in the GN roundhouse at Allouez (Superior ore docks), Wisconsin on instructions from John Budd.  Finally it was put on display in Havre, but then in the very late '70's Tom Lamphere had the idea to restore it for excursion service.  Unfortunately he died before that ever became a real project.  It would certainly be nice to see it racing across the Minnesota/North Dakota prairies.

Gordon

[photo:  GN 2580, Barnesville, MN 10-10-56.  Photographer unknown, photo from Louis Marre Collection] 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/19 19:49 by gbmott.

Date: 07/07/19 07:17
Author: Frisco1522

I think a nice GN 4-8-2 still exists and would also be a nice engine for restoration.   All it takes is cubic dollars, a business plan, a scope of action, support cars,  a restoration facility and people who know what they are doing, a good straw boss to properly guide the restoration and a railroad willing to let it operate.
Other than that, its easy to dream.

Date: 07/07/19 10:02
Author: nathansixchime

Frisco1522 Wrote:
> I think a nice GN 4-8-2 still exists and would
> also be a nice engine for restoration.   All it
> takes is cubic dollars, a business plan, a scope
> of action, support cars,  a restoration facility
> and people who know what they are doing, a good
> straw boss to properly guide the restoration and a
> railroad willing to let it operate.
> Other than that, its easy to dream.

Just to put it in perspective because the costs and logistics are often tough mountains to climb for a small non-profit, for a Class 1 - all of the aforementioned is obtainable for less than an advertising campaign, commercial production, etc, etc., and it's something you can get more mileage out of than digital marketing spots or broadcast spots...both literally and figuratively.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.264 seconds