Home Open Account Help 125 users online

Steam & Excursion > Saturday's Steam Train Excursion to Jim Thorpe

Date: 07/06/19 11:17
Saturday's Steam Train Excursion to Jim Thorpe
Author: Pattenburg

On Saturday a steam train excursion was run from Mountaintop (PA) to Jim Thorpe. With the weather being kind of iffy I decided to continue my documentation photographically of Reading & Northern's bridge construction project at Nesquehoning Junction and make the drive from NJ. My plan was to photograph Reading & Northern 425 as it crossed the Lehigh River. Unfortunately that was not to be as the skies opened up with torrents of rain about fifteen minutes before the excursion train would arrive to pass over the bridge. Despite those angry skies I did mange to get a shot of the construction site as it looks as though the girders will be going up in the near future prior to the rain. That first image shows a few of the hardy souls, some with umbrella in hand, that were trackside to record the excursion train's passing.

Date: 07/07/19 09:12
Re: Saturday's Steam Train Excursion to Jim Thorpe
Author: boejoe

Thanks for the bridge update.

Date: 07/07/19 18:58
Re: Saturday's Steam Train Excursion to Jim Thorpe
Author: OCtrainguy

My son and I rode our bikes up into the Lehigh Gorge, getting up past MP 128 before the storm moved in.  A few rumbles of distant thunder and a few rain drops turned into an absolute downpour!  In the video my son got, the sound of the rain outweighed the sound of the steam engine as it headed downgrade.  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0375 seconds