Home Open Account Help 297 users online

Steam & Excursion > Remembering UP Steam 30 Years ago, including Archer Hill

Date: 07/08/19 19:52
Remembering UP Steam 30 Years ago, including Archer Hill
Author: gregscholl

Seeing the shots from todays 4014 run made me fondly remember all the UP I shot in 1988-89.  Less than a month after 8444 made the big trip to Los Angeles and Portland, they had to make a run from Cheyenne to Omaha for the dedication of the new Harriman Despatch Center.  That was to be a dinner train for the BOD, which had never been pulled by the 4-8-4 prior to this.  What ensued was a memorable 2 days of the first run of the engine with its old number back (844), and two freights.  Then an evening dinner train Omaha-Valley RT, followed by 2 more days of freights back to Cheyenne.  The engine sounded great and it was cool seeing an engine performing like it did in the old days at track speed with a good sized train each day.  The link below shows about 2 minutes of previews for a couple videos we did that year.  The Vol 2, has the 844 footage I just described and you can see some samples.  The great thing is hardly anyone knew about it, and with no internet it was no herd of fans to worry about, making for a pleasant outing.  This link is small sized video, but you can type the title and our name in youtube and find it full screen.  Go to the link below and go to the 5th preview clip.  Enjoy!
http://www.gregschollvideo.com/previews2.html

Greg Scholl

Date: 07/09/19 05:55
Re: Remembering UP Steam 30 Years ago, including Archer Hill
Author: Bob3985

Greg,
The link to your page opens but the previews won't open up on my computer for some reason.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 07/09/19 06:25

Bob3985 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Greg,
> The link to your page opens but the previews won't
> open up on my computer for some reason.

Bob...Go to youtube then, search Union Pacific Steam Vol 1 and 2 Previews Greg Scholl
and that should find it.  They are both in one 2:30 chunk or so.  You are in there leaning out the firemans
side.  As I recall it was about to pass Medicine Bow on the way to Cheyenne near the end of the trip.  As I recall I got a neat shot with you in it as we met a westbound freight, pretty much at the Medicine Bow Station.  That part isn't in the clip but you and Steve are.  I remember I rode from Rawlins to Laramie.  Lyn was taking over there, and his wife Mary was going to be taking my spot.  I was in the cab over 3 hours.  Do you remember the 2 strange incidents that happened when I was in the cab with you guys??? Send me a PM if you remember.
Greg Scholl
http://www.gregschollvideo.com

Date: 07/09/19 07:53
Author: towazy

No videos of 4014 climbing Archer Hill yet,either here or YouTube. Who will be the first???     :)

Tom

Date: 07/09/19 11:00

That might be in a different thread.  This one relates to 30 years ago on the same trackage.In these clips we see 844, no diesel, real freight trains, and a caboose on the end of the 4 freights it pulled.Engine was working pretty good, but still had no problem pulling these trains.The big s-curve in the video preview is Archer.  We were standing a bit in front of the overpass to see the whole curve.When you click the link scroll down to the 5th preview and it is in there after the 3985 material.  3985 and 844 separately soundedgreat in those days.  It was nice to see 844 without any diesels too.Greg

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.041 seconds