Home Open Account Help 375 users online

Steam & Excursion > Vintage N&W

Date: 07/18/19 17:53
Vintage N&W
Author: gregscholl

Here is a photo that is somewhat for educational purposes.  Some may think this is a 4-8-4, so what class is it?
Where was the photo taken?
Approximate Date?
Can you name one of the kids?

Answers later if anyone cares.

Greg

Date: 07/18/19 17:54
Re: Vintage N&W
Author: flash34

It's definitely one of those K- class 4-8-2's, but that's all I can say for sure.

Date: 07/18/19 18:07
Author: train1275

Just a wild guess.
K class 4-8-2

You are the young lad

Location?   No idea .... Batavia, OH ?

Date: 07/18/19 19:43
Author: K8DTI

Sardinia, Ohio roughly 1957?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/19 19:44 by K8DTI.

Date: 07/18/19 20:12
Author: MaryMcPherson

I believe it was the USRA locomotives classed K-2 that got the streamlining.  The K-1's were homegrown, predating the USRA locomotives, and were not streamlined.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Date: 07/18/19 20:16
Author: Gulliver-Stuart

Definitley a K-2 4-8-2.  116 was the first K-2 class engine.

The K-2 class were USRA originals, the K-2a were post WWI USRA copies.

Stuart

Date: 07/18/19 22:19
Author: boejoe

Road # appears to be 136 whereas Class J 4-8-4 carried numbers in 600 series.  My experience with streamlined K's was on rhe Shenandoah Valley Branch from Roanoke VA to Hagerstown MD

Date: 07/19/19 06:17
Author: ctjacks

I hope no one on this board see the engineer hanging out the window - N&W may get complaints.

Date: 07/19/19 09:43
Author: Goalieman

ctjacks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hope no one on this board see the engineer
> hanging out the window - N&W may get complaints

Now that’s hilarious!! Thanks, I needed that today.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/19/19 11:15
Author: LocoPilot750

Goalieman Wrote:
> ctjacks Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I hope no one on this board see the engineer
> > hanging out the window - N&W may get complaints
>
> Now that’s hilarious!! Thanks, I needed that
> today.
>
> Posted from iPhone

He probably saw when camera.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/19/19 12:22
Author: utwazoo

N&W also had Roanoke-built K-3s, which were sold to the W&LE

Date: 07/19/19 14:34
Re: Vintage N&W---Some answers for you
Author: gregscholl

The engine is a K2a and the next to last one built.  Its 136.  It was hard to tell them apart from the J's except for a few things.

(1) was a 4-8-2, but then lots of times we were not close or broadside to tell the difference.
(2) They had riveted tenders, whereas the J's did not.
(3) The side stripes were straight along the boiler(Running Boards).  The J's had a slight dip in front of the firebox.

The train is one of two possible.  It's either #16, the eastbound CAVALIER, or #26 the eastbound POWHATAN ARROW.
Generally th J's worked the Arrow, and 100's worked the Cavalier, since it was basically a local passenger train, with lots of head end.
The Cavalier was taken out of service in April of 1957, therefore after that the Arrow carried some head-end cars between Cincinnati and Norfolk.

The Arrow was dieselized in July 1958.  My first inclination is that its the Cavalier, in the summer of 1956.  Looking at the photo its hard to tell, but it looks like maybe  3 coaches or so behind the head-end cars.  That would likely mean its the late edition of the Arrow.  The Cavalier had usually an old heavyweight consist with maybe a coach, and a combine plus the head-end.

Both the Cavalier and the Arrow ran about an hour or two apart during the morning, so again could either one.

The location is indeed Sardinia, Ohio.  At the end of steam, other than Clare Yard, near Cincinnati, Sardinia provided the only water stop on the 100 mile line.  This train is stopping for water most likely, and/or a passenger stop. The stand-pipe is on the fireman's side.  Since I don't see the fireman, it doesn't help determine if he did take water, or he was finished.  I am thinking he is maybe about to or is departing Sardinia.  Leaning out would be potentially for visibility, or just checking the folks out photographing and such.  There is a main highway just behind the photographer(It used to have the banjo-wig-wag signal as did most along the line.
He also could be hanging out to make sure he has a clear signal, as there was a siding just across the highway ahead.

The kid is me(Greg Scholl), and I would be about 6 or 7, and it appears to be summer, so summer of 1956-58(but not after July).  If Cavalier, has to be 1956, otherwise if the Arrow could be 1957 or before July 1958.

The little girl was my cousin on my dads side.  They were visiting I suppose from Massachusettes.  Warren Scholl (my dad), was the photographer.  I grew up chasing and riding a lot of this stuff so was exposed to some good action.

Now you have the rest of the story.

Greg Scholl
http://www.gregschollvideo.com

Date: 07/21/19 17:36
Author: Gulliver-Stuart

utwazoo Wrote:
> N&W also had Roanoke-built K-3s, which were sold
> to the W&LE

Not directly.  Actually the K-3's were first sold to the RF&P and D&RGW during WWII,  After the war W&LE purchased all ten from the other two railroads.

Stuart

Date: 07/22/19 08:01
Author: MaryMcPherson

The K-3's were an attempt at a fast freight 4-8-2, and turned out to be a rare dud for Roanoke.  They steamed well, but were poorly balanced for fast running due to smaller drivers.

On the bright side, they went back to the drawing boards and came up with the A.  After the problems with the K-3, they decided to try a single A for testing before building a whole series of them.  Evidently, the A turned out okay.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0693 seconds