Home Open Account Help 273 users online

Steam & Excursion > Finland Steam 3

Date: 07/21/19 03:18
Finland Steam 3
Author: andersonb109

The last two days of the tour were spent on the line running in two directions out of Nurmes, in the far east of the country near the Russian border. Locomotive Hv3 4-6-0 No. 995 was the power for an all passenger consist. The first day, we used a vintage bus to reach the town of Vuokatti and then ran 55 miles south back to Nurmes in mostly cloudy weather. The second day we traveled 40 miles  south east from Nurmes to Lieska. This concludes the brief series on Finland. A country not often visited by railfans, particularly for steam. 

Date: 07/21/19 03:23
Re: Finland Steam 3
Author: andersonb109

Three more. First is on the turntable at Nurmes, followed by a false departure from the Nurmes Station and running along one of the numerous lakes in route. Thanks to all for looking at this series. 

Date: 07/21/19 09:30
Author: engine3420

Thank you for posting these photos.  very much enjoyed them.....but maybe it's my cataracs but they do seem a bit dark.  So I lightened one.

Date: 07/22/19 06:30
Author: GPutz

Thanks for the series on steam-powered trains in Finland.  I visited the Jokioisten Museorautatie (Jokioinen Museum Railway) in '04, '05 and '12.  It's a great ride that can be accessed at Humppila from regular VR passenger trains between Turku and Tampere which ran about every two hours in those years.  I didn't know about the other two operations that you rode.  There was a steam-powered train that ran out of Porvoo, about 30 miles east of Helsinki, too.

Gerry

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0347 seconds