Home Open Account Help 258 users online

Steam & Excursion > One number from being very famous!!

Date: 07/22/19 09:17
One number from being very famous!!
Author: valmont

SP #4448, no location, no photographer, no date ... perfect for anonymity, but if the 8 were a 9 much notoriety would have been in its future!

Date: 07/22/19 13:52
Re: One number from being very famous!!
Author: rrpreservation

Wonderful shot! Thanks for sharing it.

Date: 07/22/19 14:11
Author: MojaveBill

ALL SP GS-class locos are famous in my book!

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 07/22/19 17:39
Author: gregscholl

MojaveBill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ALL SP GS-class locos are famous in my book!

Thats because they are all from my state of Ohio (LIMA LOCO WORKS)

Sorry couldn't resist!
Greg

Date: 07/23/19 06:37
Author: Frisco1522

I'll bet Doyle would have preferred 4458.

Date: 07/23/19 08:29
Author: HotWater

Frisco1522 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'll bet Doyle would have preferred 4458.

Darn right! But then again, 4449 has been able to negotiate some pretty challenging trackage while being "on display" during the American Freedom Train tour. We've often wondered if a roller bearing equipped GS-5 would have been able to do the same.

As a side note, according to some extensive research done by some other "SP experts", when the representative from Portland, Oregon was sent to Bakersfield for the purpose of "selecting" an appropriate steam locomotive from the dead line, to be displayed in a city park, he pointed to one of the GS locomotives, and told the Foreman in charge, "How about one of those with the really big wheels?". Thus the Foreman then instructed the switch crew to "Dig out on of those 4400s.". Reportedly, the locomotive that was VERY NEXT IN LINE behind 4449, and coupled to #4449, was indeed a GS-5 (either 4458 or 4459). So, SOOOOOOOO, close,,,,,,,,but no cigar.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0304 seconds