Home Open Account Help 273 users online

Steam & Excursion > 4014 St. Paul, MN logistics?

Date: 07/22/19 14:28
4014 St. Paul, MN logistics?
Author: milwrdfan

I am not in St. Paul, but have enjoyed watching the 4014 on the St. Paul Union Depot webcams.  However, I'm curious as to why both times it's arrived at St. Paul, it's backed past the depot to the west, then pulled forward into a station track.  I know Amtrak pulls straight through from the eastern direction with no backup move required; I'm just curious why 4014 isn't backing in the the same way, rather than backing past the depot, then pulling in forward.  Seems like an extra move to me, but I'm not there in person to see if there is some sort of track obstruction or other blockage that would prevent backing straight in and still having room for Amtrak to come through.

Date: 07/22/19 16:32
Re: 4014 St. Paul, MN logistics?
Author: wpjones

Just a guess but for our excursion to Boone we had to back in the house track for Omaha Union Station from the east because the bridge over 13th street next to tower "B" for this track is no longer rated heavy enough for the 4014. Maybe such a restriction exists there also.
Steve

Date: 07/22/19 19:03
Author: displacedneb

Simple reason. When the SPUD tracks were reinstalled a double slip switch was installed at the east end. I suspect neither the engine or tender would make it through without derailing.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/25/19 00:05
Author: dan

they want to avoided

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0242 seconds