Home Open Account Help 223 users online

Steam & Excursion > Missing from AFT 1 at the B&O Museum

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 08/09/19 20:30
Missing from AFT 1 at the B&O Museum
Author: burlingtonjohn

The eagle that adorned the top of the headlight of American Freedom Train #1 at the B&O Museum is no longer there as of June. If anybody has any clues, I'd appreciate information, private message if you desire.

Regards,
Burlington John

Date: 08/09/19 21:14
Re: Missing from AFT 1 at the B&O Museum
Author: PHall

How was it attached? Anything short of welded is not secure.

Date: 08/09/19 22:01
Author: Lurch_in_ABQ

In the early 1970s my wife did volunteer diet and food counseling for families on welfare in West Balto. She drove our '54 Chevy to her appointments. She came back to the car after an appointment one day, turned the key to start the car--nothing. Two "youths" walked by with a car battery in their wagon. Offered to sell and install the battery at a very reasonable price, which she gladly paid. Perfect fit of course, it was her original battery.

Date: 08/10/19 01:42
Author: ClubCar

burlingtonjohn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The eagle that adorned the top of the headlight of
> American Freedom Train #1 at the B&O Museum is no
> longer there as of June. If anybody has any clues,
> I'd appreciate information, private message if you
> desire.
>
> Regards,
> Burlington John

I hope that you noticed just how sad that whole front yard of the B&O R.R. Museum looks with everything being allowed to rust away.  My guess is that it most likely rusted where it was attached and fell off and someone either took it or maybe it was retrieved and put inside the museum someplace.  But knowing how poorly the museum is operated, and looking at how bad the locomotive looks with all the rust, to me they just don't care.  I've told stories on here before about the museum and have been chastised by some T.O. Members for explaining how this museum operates so poorly.  My problem is that I know too much about how volunteers have been treated and how the wrong people have been in charge.
John in White Marsh, Maryland 

Date: 08/10/19 05:01
Author: co614

John is not wrong regarding the condition they have allowed AFT 1 and other artifacts to deteriorate. This locomotive which I traded to them in return for C&O 614 was to be kept " in good cosmetic condition appropriate for public display and in keeping with its historic role in powering the American Freedom Train". They certainly have not come remotely close to living up to the letter or spirit of the deal. Shame on the B&O Museum.

I'll see what I can do ( again) to put together an effort to get AFT 1 cosmetically brought back to a condition worthy of her history. Hope springs eternal.

Ross Rowland...

Date: 08/10/19 05:29
Author: GPutz

Riverdale, IL, and Garrett, IN, 6/11/78.  Thanks you, Mr. Rowland, for your generosity.  Gerry

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/19 17:28 by GPutz.

Date: 08/10/19 06:00
Author: BAB

Many have had great hopes and dreams but then comes reality, no volunteers to do anything to keep things up and overwhelms all the good intentions. It is a sad fact and VERY FEW have any idea going into such a project it is to keep thinks up. Know only too well about that problem.

Date: 08/10/19 08:42
Author: Tominde

BAB Wrote:
> Many have had great hopes and dreams but then comes reality, no volunteers to do anything to keep things up and overwhelms all the good intentions. It is a sad fact and VERY FEW have any idea going into such a project it is to keep thinks up. Know only too well about that problem.

That is NOT the issue.  The B&O museum has a reputation of denying volunteers to work on restoration or maintanance of equipment.  Numerous groups have tried and have been denied.

Date: 08/10/19 11:44

Tominde Wrote:
> BAB Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Many have had great hopes and dreams but then
> comes reality, no volunteers to do anything to
> keep things up and overwhelms all the good
> intentions. It is a sad fact and VERY FEW have any
> idea going into such a project it is to keep
> thinks up. Know only too well about that problem.
>
> That is NOT the issue.  The B&O museum has a
> reputation of denying volunteers to work on
> restoration or maintenance of equipment. 
> Numerous groups have tried and have been denied.

Tominde, you are absolutely correct about this.  There were volunteers willing and able to work on the American Freedom  Steam Engine, former Reading 2101 and they were turned away.  Some of these fellows were even willing to spend their own money for the supplies.  This is true of the B&O R.R. passenger cars parked outside also.  I have written about this in the past and some people here on T.O. have gotten upset with me about my complaining.  These complaints are justifiable when one visits this museum and one sees all the equipment being allowed to collect rust.  And again there have been people willing to spend their time and give donations towards this equipment; but the museum said NO.  I know for a fact that had the fellows from the group Railroad Passenger Cars, Inc. (RRP) had known that this museum would allow the cars they donated to be in the condition that they are, especially the former B&O Club/Observation Car #3302 (which by the way was used by the Chessie System in the consists of so many special trains) to be in the condition it is today, they would have sent it somewhere else.  When RRP went out of business there was another short line railroad that wanted to purchase the B&O 3302, but RRP thought that it would be best in the museum in Baltimore for all future generations to see and learn the history about B&O passenger train travel.  This was a grave mistake for sure.

Date: 08/10/19 12:01
Author: shipsbell

John, don't forget the GG1 in the back vandalized. I'll be there next month and I hope to see it in any condition.

Posted from Android

Date: 08/10/19 14:11
Author: apollo17

ClubCar Wrote:
> Tominde Wrote:
> -----
> > BAB Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Many have had great hopes and dreams but then
> > comes reality, no volunteers to do anything to
> > keep things up and overwhelms all the good
> > intentions. It is a sad fact and VERY FEW have
> any
> > idea going into such a project it is to keep
> > thinks up. Know only too well about that
> problem.
> >
> > That is NOT the issue.  The B&O museum has a
> > reputation of denying volunteers to work on
> > restoration or maintenance of equipment. 
> > Numerous groups have tried and have been
> denied.
>
> Tominde, you are absolutely correct about this. 
> There were volunteers willing and able to work on
> the American Freedom  Steam Engine, former
> Reading 2101 and they were turned away.  Some of
> these fellows were even willing to spend their own
> money for the supplies.  This is true of the B&O
> R.R. passenger cars parked outside also.  I have
> written about this in the past and some people
> here on T.O. have gotten upset with me about my
> complaining.  These complaints are justifiable
> when one visits this museum and one sees all the
> equipment being allowed to collect rust.  And
> again there have been people willing to spend
> their time and give donations towards this
> equipment; but the museum said NO.  I know for a
> fact that had the fellows from the group Railroad
> Passenger Cars, Inc. (RRP) had known that this
> museum would allow the cars they donated to be in
> the condition that they are, especially the former
> B&O Club/Observation Car #3302 (which by the way
> was used by the Chessie System in the consists of
> so many special trains) to be in the condition it
> is today, they would have sent it somewhere
> else.  When RRP went out of business there was
> another short line railroad that wanted to
> purchase the B&O 3302, but RRP thought that it
> would be best in the museum in Baltimore for all
> future generations to see and learn the history
> about B&O passenger train travel.  This was a
> grave mistake for sure.
> John in White Marsh, Maryland

Alright....After reading about this on T.O. off and on for years, it leaves me thinking, that they must have some sort of personal vendetta ( if I'm spelling it right ) against what's being stored outside since they won't allow anyone to volunteer to work on anything and then at the group or individuals own expense and no charge to the museum?!!  It's either that or the management, board of directors or whoever runs the place has a serious mental disconnect. That's just the way I see it.

Date: 08/10/19 14:13
Author: Mastadon

I was there on 8/4 and here are a few photos showing how terrible most of their equipment looks.

-Don Kalkman
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mastadon4935/

Date: 08/10/19 14:27
Author: Kemacprr

Is the museum a state run museum or a city run museum ? ------- Ken 

Date: 08/10/19 14:55

Kemacprr Wrote:
> Is the museum a state run museum or a city run
> museum ? ------- Ken 
Neither.  It was spun off from CSX many years ago, I don't remember just how long and they depend on memberships, donations and admissions as far as we know.  When RRP went out of business, not only did they donate 5 pieces of equipment (3 passenger cars, an RPO and a box car full of parts), they also donated money and whatever investment stocks that they still had in 1995 and the money was to maintain the 3 passenger cars, especially the former B&O 3302 observation car.  What did they do with that money & investments?

Date: 08/10/19 16:59
Author: WLE2679

I have to agree with the observations.   We went there in the late 1980s.   195 and the BL2 were in prestine condition, as was the 490.   The B&O passenger cars were in nice condition.   The only item that wasn't was the GG1, not rusted much just needed a paint job.   

Went back in the 90s and early 2000's.   The GP40 3684 was in fresh paint and the passenger cars were either waxed or something, or they were repainted.   AFT 1 was in fresh paint.    If I remember correcly, didn't Bob Lorenz help repaint AFT 1? 

I understand that it is hard to keep things up when they are stored outside in the constant elements, but there isn't a reason for those items to look so bad.    Did they ever finish 6944? 

Date: 08/11/19 03:36
Author: dpudave

I am at a loss to understand turning away free, skilled, willing and able volunteer help. And they're offering to bring their own materials with them? Is there a possible liability insurance issue here? Otherwise it's pure madness. d

Date: 08/11/19 04:32

dpudave Wrote:
> I am at a loss to understand turning away free,
> skilled, willing and able volunteer help. And
> they're offering to bring their own materials with
> them? Is there a possible liability insurance
> issue here? Otherwise it's pure madness. d

None of us can understand it either as when the museum was spun off from CSX and became independent, the B&O R.R. Museum obtained insurance which supposedly covered all employees and their volunteers.  The Baltimore Streetcar Museum, which is an all volunteer organization, has insurance to cover anyone who works on the streetcars or does any other type of work like track work, wire work, general maintenance, etc.  In my opinion and others, the B&O R.R. Museum has been mis-managed for many years.  I have heard, (and there is no way to verify this as an outsider) that some of their employees are very well compensated.  This is probably where most of the money goes instead of to the restoration and maintaining of the historic artifacts, the engines and passenger cars.  As time goes on, the only thing that will happen is that the junk man will have a field day.

Date: 08/11/19 19:55
Author: Abqfoamer

Has anyone contacted local news media for an investigation, a feature story involving the museum's management, interviews with them, or their refusal to explain why the museum has been so badly neglected, refused help and where their funds are going?
This is outrageous!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/19 21:12 by Abqfoamer.

Date: 08/11/19 19:56
Author: ALCO630

WLE2679 Wrote:
> I have to agree with the observations.   We went
> there in the late 1980s.   195 and the BL2 were
> in prestine condition, as was the 490.   The B&O
> passenger cars were in nice condition.   The
> only item that wasn't was the GG1, not rusted much
> just needed a paint job.   
>
> Went back in the 90s and early 2000's.   The
> GP40 3684 was in fresh paint and the passenger
> cars were either waxed or something, or they were
> repainted.   AFT 1 was in fresh paint.    If I
> remember correcly, didn't Bob Lorenz help repaint
> AFT 1? 
>
> I understand that it is hard to keep things up
> when they are stored outside in the constant
> elements, but there isn't a reason for those items
> to look so bad.    Did they ever finish 6944? 

The 6944 was finished in 2015 and I recall the SD35 being restored.

Right now the museum is working with the Conrail Historical Society to restore SW7 8905 back into Conrail blue.

Now let's all sit back and listen to the crickets chirp while we wait to hear how the evil museum doesn't care about anything.

Posted from Android

Doug Wetherhold
Macungie, PA

Date: 08/12/19 03:33

ALCO630 Wrote:

> The 6944 was finished in 2015 and I recall the
> SD35 being restored.
>
> Right now the museum is working with the Conrail
> Historical Society to restore SW7 8905 back into
> Conrail blue.
>
> Now let's all sit back and listen to the
> crickets chirp while we wait to hear how the evil
> museum doesn't care about anything.

The museum was set up years ago by the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Company to save and display B&O history of locomotives and cars both passenger and freight.  After the C&O obtained control of the B&O which also controlled the Western Maryland, the museum was expanded to include equipment from those railroads too.  Since that time the museum has saved additional pieces of equipment from other lines; however, this was not the original intention.  One thing that does aggravate many folks is that they want to restore the former Conrail switcher 8905.  Why?  There is no historic reason as this engine has absolutely nothing to do with B&O, C&O, or WM history.  This engine was purchased for the sole purpose of moving equipment around the museum property to save wear and tear on the rest of the historic locomotives.  It was painted in a Red color scheme (for some strange reason) and numbered 1201.  That's it, nothing else.  Even though supposedly the Conrail Historical Society wants to restore this engine, it will still cost the museum some money and time since it will go into the museum's restoration building.  Whatever money and time the B&O R.R. Museum spends, this money and time should be used for some of the rusting equipment out in the front yard.  This is just plain common sense folks.  It's the B&O Railroad Museum, not the Conrail Museum.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1011 seconds