Home Open Account Help 230 users online

Steam & Excursion > Only a few folks have “Done” these three..

Date: 08/13/19 12:14
Only a few folks have “Done” these three..
Author: wcamp1472

To my knowledge, only Doyle and Al Philips have made ALL three...
Remarkable...

1969: “The Blue Train”, Golden Spike Centennial Limited... NYC to
Salt Lake City, Ut. & ret.

1975 & ‘76: The American Freedom Train—- 2 circuits around the USA

199? : The New Orleans Worlds Fair. Portland to New Orleans,
La & ret.

Wow...
know of any others that made all 3?

What wonderful memories they made for all the Americans that witnessed their thrilling passings...

Probably never to be equaled, ever again...

Thanks go out to all the folks that made those events e reality.

( inspired by the post, above, re: all the SP cars that made the New Orleans train “come together”...
Now, scattered..)

W.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/13/19 12:20
Re: Only a few folks have “Done” these three..
Author: HotWater

wcamp1472 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To my knowledge, only Doyle and Al Philips have
> made ALL three...
> Remarkable...
>
> 1969: “The Blue Train”, Golden Spike
> Centennial Limited... NYC to
> Salt Lake City, Ut. & ret.
>
> 1975 & ‘76: The American Freedom Train—- 2
> circuits around the USA
>
> 199? : The New Orleans Worlds Fair. Portland to
> New Orleans,
> La & ret.

Al Philips was NOT on the 1984 New Orleans World's Fair Daylight trip.

> Wow...
> know of any others that made all 3?
>
> What wonderful memories they made for all the
> Americans that witnessed their thrilling
> passings...
>
> Probably never to be equaled, ever again...
>
> Thanks go out to all the folks that made those
> events e reality.
>
> ( inspired by the post, above, re: all the SP cars
> that made the New Orleans train “come
> together”...
> Now, scattered..)
>
> W.

Date: 08/13/19 12:32

Oops..
My Badd..

Shorten that list..

W.

Date: 08/13/19 13:59

wcamp1472 Wrote:
> Oops..
> My Badd..
>
> Shorten that list..
>
>
> W.

Wes, How about this list:

1) I started with the AFT/SP 4449 crew in the summer of 1975, and although I did NOT make the entire tour, I "helped" on a number of locations when there was a personnel shortage.

2) I made the entire trip in 1977 from Birmingham, AL in order to return 4449 back to the city of Portland, OR.

3) I made the 1984 New Orleans World's Fair Daylight trip.

4) I made the vast majority of the 1986 Disney Daylight trip, except for the filming in LA.

5) Attended all three RailFairs at the California Stare RR Museum, as part of the 4449 crew (1981, 1991, and 1999).

6) I spent 17 years as a contract Fireman for the UP Steam Crew, through October 2010.

7) I made most of the 2009 trip from Portland, OR to Owosso, MI, and return to Minneapolis, MN.

Date: 08/13/19 14:24

Nice....

Your contribution to the successes of the 4449 were important form the very start of the ‘49’s revival.

Also, your efforts with the U.P.’s steam program involving the 844 & 3985 make up a remarkable ‘railfan’s dream.

Earlier, my remarks were triggered by the three trains ( not including the U.P.’s equipment) that were all painted in one color scheme... touring the Country..

So, Doyle’s name jumped up as a common thread to the three ‘train-set’ occurrences...

I have also neglected the train-set
( like color schemes) of Ross’s Chessie Steam Specials with 2101 & 614. I guess you could also include the NJ Transit excursions of the middle 1990’s in the “like-scheme’ trains.

Also, many of the High Iron Co. trips of 1966 & ‘67 were made up of all CNJ coaches...

So, it also include Ross as part of a very exclusive ‘club’ of passenger
specials —- of uniform color trains.

W.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/13/19 14:26
Author: Keystone1

Well.......I

photographed.    all three......if that counts.

Date: 08/13/19 15:11

Keystone1 Wrote:
> Well.......I
>
> photographed.    all three......if that counts.

Prove it.

Date: 08/13/19 15:18
Author: nycman

Another long distance run, though not with a matched set of cars, almost impossible now, is the one Jack mentioned, 4449 to Minneapolis and on to Michigan and return, which Doyle operated.

Date: 08/13/19 16:47
Author: 4489

Question, did Doyle and Al actually travel the 2 circuits of the USA or just the parts that 4449 powered on the AFT?

Date: 08/13/19 16:56

4489 Wrote:
> Question, did Doyle and Al actually travel the 2
> circuits of the USA or just the parts that 4449
> powered on the AFT?

The 4449 crew, after arriving at EMD and completing their 90 FRA inspection & boiler wash, were sent off to the southeast to operate the former Reading T-1 #1. Son yes the 4449 crew did indeed work on some other portions of the AFT NOT powered by 4449. Otherwise, the 4449 AFT crew made the entire "tour" of the AFT that was powered by 4449 and former T&P #610 down in Texas.

Date: 08/13/19 17:41
Author: Bob3985

As the UP extra board engineer I got to have guys from several steam crews fire for me but Jack and I spent the most time together as fireman and engineer. We had many memorable trips together on and off the UP. We always got along together.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 08/13/19 18:27
Author: towazy

I worked on the AFT,the Chessie Steam Specials,and volunteered on the 614 and briefly with the 765.

And oh yeah....I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express!

Tom

Date: 08/14/19 04:26
Author: Bob3985

Those who participated in these three notable events are unique. Some of us who did not have this opportunity also participated in so many other events in our time with the various crews. In my case, besides the many railfan excursions, there were the numerous National Political conventions, the special trips for the American Cancer Society and Oregon Symphony, and to pull the 50th Anniversary Santa trip for CSX/Clinchfield. There were state centennial tours and so much more. That being said there were the really special times when we provided a "Make A Wish" opportunity for a few young souls whose lives were ended far to short.

It is the feeling of accomplishment in participating in all these opportunities over time that live in our memories. Do I miss it? Of course I do as do so many of my friends who participated in such events over the years. So Kudos to those who took part in the three events discussed and also to all those who did their part in presenting the past to the future.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0738 seconds