Home Open Account Help 376 users online

Steam & Excursion > Iron Mountain-possible Big Boy reguar service interlude?

Date: 08/31/19 10:23
Iron Mountain-possible Big Boy reguar service interlude?
Author: LTCerny

Just looking at the Y-shaped pattern of the branch line which meets the UP Salt Lake City to Los Angeles mainline at Lund, Utah.  The ends the the two arms of the branch are at Iron Mountain and Cedar City, Utah, both of which appear to have wye tracks, as does Lund.  Is anyone familiar with the operatons on this branch? 

This branch could be a potential area where 4014 could be photographed doing regular service work using a higher percentage of its power capabilities and without the water tenders or diesel asistance.  This could be during a day or two interlude on the way to LA.  Possibility or just a crazy idea?

Date: 08/31/19 12:13
Re: Iron Mountain-possible Big Boy reguar service interlude?
Author: callum_out

The wye at Iron Springs and the Big Boy would not get along, be worse trying to ho up the hill to Iron Mountain,
few curves would end up as straight track. The rail on the wye is heavy enough but between the slight grade and
the curvature I think you'd end up on the ground, just an opinion.

Out

Date: 08/31/19 18:56
Re: Iron Mountain-possible Big Boy reguar service interlude?
Author: engineerinvirginia

callum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The wye at Iron Springs and the Big Boy would not
> get along, be worse trying to ho up the hill to
> Iron Mountain,
> few curves would end up as straight track. The
> rail on the wye is heavy enough but between the
> slight grade and
> the curvature I think you'd end up on the ground,
> just an opinion.
>
> Out

tight wye curves can also cause tender and engine to mash into each other jacknife like...I once pulled a passenger coach around a wye with a freight engine,and the coach ripped a ditch light right off of the engine....strangely not a scratch on the coach. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0402 seconds