Home Open Account Help 313 users online

Steam & Excursion > It happened 40 years ago today...

Date: 09/01/19 19:22
It happened 40 years ago today...
Author: nathansixchime

40 years ago today, Nickel Plate Road no. 765 came roaring back to life after a five-year restoration spearheaded by a special assortment of volunteers from Fort Wayne, Indiana, Ohio, Illinois and around the Midwest.

In just a few days, the engine will celebrate its 75th anniversary.

The rest, as they say, is history: https://fortwaynerailroad.org/nickel-plate-road-no-765/

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 09/01/19 20:32
Re: It happened 40 years ago today...
Author: ProAmtrak

Nice video,  they did a great job restoring that engine and still doing a great job running her when they get a chance!

Date: 09/01/19 20:48
Author: clem

And 80 years aago today Nazi Germany invaded Poland - the start of WWII in Europe.

Date: 09/01/19 20:57
Author: RuleG

Congratulations on 40 years and 75 years!

My first 765 excursion was in 1985, a Buffalo - Corning trip.  Thirty years later I rode the Youngstown - Ashtabula excursion behind 765.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/19 06:04 by RuleG.

Date: 09/02/19 06:49
Author: tomstp

You just know all of those guys who worked on that thing had some fast beating hearts to see it finally turn a wheel !

Date: 09/02/19 07:16
Author: Frisco1522

That was a priceless feeling!  First time 1522 ran back and forth on Museum track was incredible.  Imagine, we had actually brought this back from the dead.  Over 30 years ago!

Date: 09/02/19 08:14
Author: kurt765

An enthusiastic "LET'S GO!!!!" followed by what looks like a cloud of rust blasting off of the wheels slipping. That's so awesome.

Date: 09/02/19 09:30
Author: NKP779

That WAS a great day!  At time, it was only 21 years since the 765 ran in regular service on the NKP (now it is 61 years!).  The track in the photo has been gone for a year or so now.  The 765's home base is only 1.5 miles east of where she was restored outdoors.  She now has her own 80" x 140' heated shop building with a concrete floor, two inside tracks - one with an inspection pit.  The CASAD Shop sits on about 15 acres of land that is owned outright by the FWRHS, with no debt, and that will remain home until the HEADWATERS JUNCTION facility is completed in downtown Fort Wayne - quite likely just across the street from where she sat in Lawton Park for 14 years.

There are some dear friends in this film that have since passed:  Glenn Brendel - founder and ringleader of the FWRHS, Larry Randolph, John Snyder, Dan Lynch and Dick Yager - who later moved to Portland to be involved with the SP Daylight 4449.

Of those in this film, the only ones still regularly active are Carl Lyvers, Gary Bensman who was the CMO, and myself, Wayne York.

Date: 09/02/19 11:44
Author: mdogg

NKP779 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That WAS a great day!  At time, it was only 21
> years since the 765 ran in regular service on the
> NKP (now it is 61 years!).  The track in the
> photo has been gone for a year or so now.  The
> 765's home base is only 1.5 miles east of where
> she was restored outdoors.  She now has her own
> 80" x 140' heated shop building with a concrete
> floor, two inside tracks - one with an inspection
> pit.  The CASAD Shop sits on about 15 acres of
> land that is owned outright by the FWRHS, with no
> debt, and that will remain home until the
> HEADWATERS JUNCTION facility is completed in
> downtown Fort Wayne - quite likely just across the
> street from where she sat in Lawton Park for 14
> years.
>
> There are some dear friends in this film that have
> since passed:  Glenn Brendel - founder and
> ringleader of the FWRHS, Larry Randolph, John
> Snyder, Dan Lynch and Dick Yager - who later moved
> to Portland to be involved with the SP Daylight
> 4449.
>
> Of those in this film, the only ones still
> regularly active are Carl Lyvers, Gary Bensman who
> was the CMO, and myself, Wayne York.

Love watching this. The all-volunteer FWRHS is truly an amazing group that operates a fabulous locomotive. If you've not rode behind her, you must! Also, please consider becoming a member. I've been a member for a LONG time, and it is worth every penny and then some.

Posted from Android

Date: 09/02/19 13:29
Author: nycman

Great video.   I thought that was Dick Yager, and thanks for confirming that fact.

Date: 09/02/19 20:07
Author: filmteknik

I first saw her with a trailing axle on the ground in Kankakee, IL, probably 1980. They were running excursions on the KB&S using the ICG station and she took issue with the connector. Some wood blocking, rerailing frogs, and colorful language and she was quickly back on the high iron via her own power.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/02/19 20:30
Author: wabash2800

I see myself (backside of head) on the right closest to the camera at 00:55 to 00:58. I believe the young man to the left of me was Larry Randolph's son. Other familiar faces include Wayne York, Gary Bensman, Dick Yager, Kelly Lynch's father Dan, painting lettering, Larry Randolph's brother (name?), and Larry Randolph (at that time president). I remember some others too, but can't place their names including the guy that was even younger than me in the very beginning of the film. Jack (hotwater) was there too. There was mostly just a group of us that showed up for the work sessions over the years but on that day the membership of the Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society came out of the woodwork... Oh well, they provided financial support through their memberships. It happens in most volunteer organizations, including churches. Besides, many were enthusiastic but too old to work.

I am tickled to see myself in the film when I was attending college for the first time (I have two degrees). I was 21 then.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/19 23:04 by wabash2800.

Date: 09/02/19 21:21
Author: NKP779

Brothers Larry and Ron Randolph were a great team along with Larry's son Todd, who had blonde hair.

Posted from Android

Date: 09/03/19 05:32
Author: junctiontower

Any plans for some 75th birthday merchandise?

Date: 09/04/19 11:45
Author: Cumbresfan

Another 75 year-old anniversary - Congratulations from a previous 765 rider and current 2926 supporter. The 75th anniversary of the latter engine's building was held this past May in Albuquerque, with a second static steam-up at the end of July. The valves have been installed in the steam chest and pistons are expected to be installed sometime this fall. We still await steam-powered movement, maybe by the end of the year, but all three of the reconditioned safety valves were found to have malfunctioned due to a manufacturing problem that will be corrected at no cost to the Society.

Date: 09/06/19 15:18
Author: Copy19

Nice video.  You can feel the excitement.

Date: 09/06/19 15:21
Author: HotWater

Cool video, and thanks for posting. I was there (you can hear my voice in more than one clip), but apparently don't appear in any of the scenes that I could tell. Sure recognize lots of guys.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.072 seconds