Home Open Account Help 303 users online

Steam & Excursion > "I Never Trust Any Locomotive That Can't Pack It's Own Dirt!"

Date: 09/04/19 00:47
"I Never Trust Any Locomotive That Can't Pack It's Own Dirt!"
Author: LoggerHogger

These were the words spoken in a logging camp in Western Oregon back in the 1920's when the camp foreman caught one of the young loggers spending his own time one Sunday afternoon trying to clean and give some polish to one of the logging locomotives owned by the lumber company.  The camp foreman was clearly of the opinion that the only requirement for a steam logging locomotive was to pull it's share of log loads to the mill each day, and there was no need for that engine to look good in the process.

Clearly, Ed Hines Lumber Company's Baldwin 2-6-2 #12 would fit the job description needed for any logging locomotive in that camp foreman's opinion.  Her days of spit an polish for her first owner, the California-Oregon Lumber Company of Bandon, Oregon are long gone.  She was sold by them after a few years to the Western Lumber Company of Westfir, Oregon, and later transferred to Ed Hines Lumber when they bought out Western Lumber.

By 1949, #12's operating days were numbered and the logging line would soon be shut down for all time out of Westfir.  #12 shows the scars and grime of the daily demands of a hard working logging locomotive.  She has done her job well and soon will be sent off to the scrapper, dirt and all.

Martin

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/19 00:58 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 09/04/19 09:23
Re: "I Never Trust Any Locomotive That Can't Pack It's Own Dirt!"
Author: wjpyper

I agree with the foreman. Never wash my car. Waste of water and energy.
Bill Pyper
Salem, Oregon

Date: 09/04/19 14:44
Re: "I Never Trust Any Locomotive That Can't Pack It's Own Dirt!"
Author: wingomann

wjpyper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree with the foreman. Never wash my car. Waste
> of water and energy.
> Bill Pyper
> Salem, Oregon

Bill - we have the advantage of living in Oregon.  God washes our cars pretty regularly.    

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1214 seconds