Home Open Account Help 272 users online

Steam & Excursion > Main Line Steam’s Past and Future...

Date: 09/06/19 09:43
Main Line Steam’s Past and Future...
Author: wcamp1472

Friends,

For all mainline steam lovers there's an upcoming event on Saturday Sep't. 21 in the Cleveland, Ohio roundhouse you don't want to miss.    

My mentor and friend, Ross Rowland, will be narrating a slide & video presentation of his 5 decades long steam adventures and sharing never before tales of how he has been able to achieve some of his most ambitious projects. He has saved telling some of these true stories until all the professional railroaders involved either retired or have gone to the great roundhouse above.
You'll understand why when you hear these tales.    
( Including a personal wager, at Altoona,  before the first HorseShoe Curve Trips, with NKP 759...)

He will also be showing publicly for the first time large scale drawings of the AFT 2.0 typical display site and various currently in service mainline steam locomotives in the new AFT 2.0 livery.      

The event is sponsored by the American Steam Railroad organization and is a fund raiser for their restoration of Rdg. 2100 to active service.     

Also included in the day’s activities are a Pullman car ride and a First-Rate supper catered by the famous Cleveland City BBQ.     

A very limited number of tickets remain available at www.fireup2100.org   Sure to be a sell-out so don't delay if you intend to attend. 
W.

(
I’ve bought a couple of tix & look forward to being there, also —- I’ll be the TALL guy ...I’d be pleased to meet you.
In 1965, ‘66 & ‘67 I was a student of Ben Kantner, General Boiler Inspector( retired), of the Reading Co.,
Kantner was George Hart’s Locomotive Supervisor, at Hart’s “Rail Tours, Inc.” , York Pa.
And, later in my career, I got too know, operate, and maintain RDG 2102 ..for Bill Benson & Ross.
Wes) 

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/19 09:50 by wcamp1472.

Date: 09/08/19 12:03
Re: Main Line Steam’s Past and Future...
Author: scoopdejour

Stilts

Looking forward to it!

Scoop

Date: 09/08/19 22:40

If you could shake hands with the most successful operator and the man most directly responsible for
restoring Main Line Steam to America’s Railriads, what would stop you?

Here’s a list of locos that he’s been responsible for the restoration...and physically funded
& directed their operation AND ALL the trips that they pulled...
NKP 759
RDG 2101
RDG 2102
SP 4449
T&P 610
C&O 614

Since he personally taught, mentored and sponsored Scott Lindsay (from an eager youngster),
and Scott’s team, here are the locos that Ross was the Power Behind & the Reason that they were restored:  
    The Second Tier:
        N&W 611
        N&W 1218
        NKP 765
        SP&S 700 

The Third Tier..
                         Add to that, each and every other Mainline Steam locos restored and operated since 1968...
                          It was Ross’s successes that inspired every other, single person, and group that got it done.
                            Take Ross out of the picture, and every single one of those restorations,
                               as well those as the ‘A’-list, vanishes and would NEVER have occurred !!

Name Another American who comes even close to Ross’s Record of Locomotive accomplishments..

If you consider yourself a true Steam Fan, get to Cleveland, as Ross gets behind and supports the restoration
of the original RDG T-1, 4-8-4, 2100.    
Enjoy the BBQ, enjoy the dinner, enjoy the roundhouse setting and also meet with, learn from Ross and shake his hand. 
This is your once-in-your-lifetime chance to be at such a rare occasion.

Meet Ross, study at the feet of the Master....if you REALLY want to know the truth about restoring, operating,
and maintaining the Best of America’s Iron Horses...
There’s no one that even comes close to Ross’s accomplishments.  
No One.

If you’d like a ‘shot’ at joining Ross’s future efforts, get your tickets, join the party & bring your Resume’... you could be part of the NEXT Team..   ( you never know when that call could come..Ask Doyle....)

Wes Camp

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/19 07:16 by wcamp1472.

Date: 09/09/19 05:15
Author: classiclights

Wes, I believe there's at least one more "somewhat lesser known engine" which you might have mentioned:

Date: 09/09/19 07:06

Oooops.
It was late at night!!
It was on my pencil rough-draft...

I deeply appreciate the artfully created image you posted—- THAT captures it ALL !
I’ll be sure to add that.

W.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/19 09:33 by wcamp1472.

Date: 09/10/19 12:51
Author: BMR

My friend and I will be there with the Lego model of Reading T-1 2100. It sounds like it'll be a great event!

Glenn H.

Date: 09/10/19 14:24

WOW..

I can’t begin to image doing a T1 in LEGO blocks ...
l’ve seen pictures of LEGO statues and buildings, but a loco?
I’d be deeply impressed...where do you begin?

I’d also like to see how you did the piping for the booster...

W.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/19 14:29 by wcamp1472.

Date: 09/10/19 15:23
Author: Oldtyme

Didn't somebody bend a rod on one of those T-1's??

Date: 09/10/19 15:46

Wasn’t there..
But, according to Benson ((IIRC),  I think it was a crack in a side rod...
Was NOT 2102..

W.

Date: 09/11/19 07:18
Author: BMR

wcamp1472 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WOW..
>
> I can’t begin to image doing a T1 in LEGO blocks
> ...
> l’ve seen pictures of LEGO statues and
> buildings, but a loco?
> I’d be deeply impressed...where do you begin?
>
> I’d also like to see how you did the piping for
> the booster...
>
> ​W.
>  

I don't have any good photos of the physical model, but here is a rendering. I've been building LEGO steam locomotives for several years, and I find, like real locomotives, the best place to start is the running gear. We were not able to include every detail, expecially piping. Such is the limitation of LEGO.

I can personally confirm that, apart from a few electronic components (LEGO does make these, we just prefer better ones) and some of the wheels, what you see can (and has!) been built with genuine LEGO bricks, and it does operate via battery and remote control. 

Date: 09/11/19 07:37
Author: 5511_

Heh... I've been following Lego trains for years, I'd love to do UP 5511 if I ever get the time to just sit down and do it...

edit: Plus I'd need a boxpok main driver in shupp's med/large size...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/19 07:39 by 5511_.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0615 seconds