Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Steam & Excursion > Switzerland 2

Date: 09/07/19 01:29
Switzerland 2
Author: andersonb109

By popular demand (2 people) here are a few more from the recent Swiss charter and surrounding events.  First, a few from the excellent Transport Museum in Lucern. Emphasis is on rail and aviation. First is a unique steam tram, one of which is still in operation in Basel running only on special occasions. Second is the now famous Yana showing how not to couple two locomotives together. Third, a steam powered funicular. 

Date: 09/07/19 01:38
Re: Switzerland 2

Next, a few more from the Charter day 1. First, Kyrell helping his mom off the train at Realp. Second, Smoking is allowed on the platform! Third, exiting the summit tunnel. For many years, the restored line only ran to the summit until additional funds were secured to complete the entire 17 kilometer line.

Date: 09/07/19 01:45

As mentioned previously day 2 found much improved weather. First at the shed at Gleitsch. Second, the line runs through a forest after leaving Oberwald. Note next to the first freight wagon what looks like a silver poll. It's actually one of a system of sprinklers that can be activated to prevent fires. This was mandated before steam was allowed to run on this portion of the line. Something the Durango and Silverton should consider? Difference is that the Swiss government payed for this, not an individual owner. Taxes in Switzerland are extremely high as are prices for everything which allow this type of investment. Third, often we used two trains in the same scene. No distance restrictions here. 

Date: 09/07/19 01:51

And a few more people shots from Gleitsch. First, passengers wait for the next train at the tiny station. Second, the No. 704 really is a beast of an engine.Third. When riding a steam train, it's important to keep ones hands clean. 

Date: 09/07/19 02:04

Next, two trains meet at Gleitsch station. That's the former sight of the Rhone Glacier in the background. Second, Europeans do like to smoke. And last, checking to see when the next train leaves.  Thanks again to those who showed me how to orientate the vertical photos.  And also for the nice comments. The trip was lots of fun and having my significant other along only made it better.  So much so it was difficult at times to concentrate on the trains. As some of you know, I first met Yana when she was working on a hotel train in Ukraine in 2004. So she totally understands the concept of rail photography and runpasts. And obviously loves the camera and attention of all the photographers.  Getting her to dress up was no problem at all although her son being a teenager was a bit skeptical at first but got into it as the day went on. . But I did feel two of the three days on the line would be enough so sadly we were back to Zurich by the next afternoon for our flights home in opposite directions. This is probably the last event of this kind there. Sad because Yana wanted to bring her mom along next time. The organizer is however thinking about a Chama style snow removal train at some point. Snowfall on the line makes the snow on the C&T look like child's play. 

Date: 09/07/19 07:11
Author: elueck

Thanks for these also!   Great Railroad and I love the vintage costumes.

Date: 09/07/19 14:43
Author: Keystone1

Greatwork.     Bring it on!    More!!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0566 seconds