Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Steam & Excursion > On being last...

Date: 09/10/19 07:28
On being last...
Author: MP4093

About being last... Did I mention that my wife Vikkie likes the parlor car? Well I do too, but for different reasons. She likes the big windows and plush seats. I like that it is the last car on the train and has some of the best views. This particular morning we are riding parlor car "Colorado" to it's namesake state and this afternoon we will return on "New Mexico" to New Mexico. Pulling our train will be C&TS K-36 #489, a veteran on this line and one of my favorites because it sports a beautiful Santa Fe 6 chime step top whistle. Knowing when the train leaves allows me to get a shot without the tourists around just before departure and be last onboard just ahead of conductor Ray Martinez. The views from the brass rail of the last car offer an openness not afforded other passengers and gets envious glances from trackside, but to me it's just a great photo platform and a chance to talk with the train crew who often ride there. Having ridden and photographed many times I was looking for some different shots this trip and during the water stop at Cumbres I ventured onto the vestibule behind the tank for a closeup of the tender being refilled with water from the spout at Cumbres. Some others who also got close were not prepared for what happened when the tank got full and ran off gasping after getting wet, I was last to move, I got wet but I got the shot. I had so much fun that I repeated this on the return run. On arrival at Osier the passengers move towards the line for food or the restrooms, all except me. Once again I will be last to go in so that I can photograph our train without the tourists milling about. I stay just long enough to let the line dwindle and to photograph the arrival of our ride back to Chama with D&RGW 463, a sport model K-27 in authentic lettering heading our train. The run to Chama was pleasant with the usual sights and all too soon we were back. On arrival I waited as the tourists left and followed the train west to the wye where it was turned and brought back to the depot. The 463 left the train there and the hostlers took it for service before putting the locomotive in the roundhouse for the night. Again I am the last one left in the yard to observe and photograph this almost surreal event, that has lasted here in near obscurity for over a century. Oh yes, there is something I like about being last.

Date: 09/10/19 07:33
Re: On being last...
Author: Bob3985

Can't tell who the engine crew is but I see Ray is the conductor in the first photo.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 09/10/19 07:34

Water at Cumbres, Cascade trestle and alone at Osier.

Date: 09/10/19 07:40

Westbound 463 arriving Osier, taking water with a smaller tank and getting wet, trainman passing signals from the front to the last car on a curve after a rolling brake test..

Date: 09/10/19 07:43

D&RGW 463 in the yard at Chama and turning on the wye.

Date: 09/10/19 07:45
Author: meixel

Thanks for the great photos and information.  I plan to ride the train on 9/21.  I normally buy a coach seat and stay on the open gondola so I can get a nice view and photos including photos of the engines.  What is it like on the rear platform?  Is it easy to get photos of the engines from there?  Is the platform crowded?  Thanks again.

John Meixel
Longmont, CO

Date: 09/10/19 07:46

463 at the coaling tower and in the yard Chama, NM. 3 hot in Chama tonight.

Date: 09/10/19 07:57

John I also spend time in the open gondola car and there are great views from that car. The curves and trees on route make it difficult to see the locomotive from the last car on much of the line, the middle is really the best. The platform is limited to the parlor car passengers but most of them are content to sit in the big plush seats with big windows all around so it is open most of the time. It is the most expensive seat I never sit in.

Date: 09/10/19 08:13
Author: tomstp

You got a shot that I don't recall seeing before.  463 leaving the Chama station going south.  Nice shot.

Date: 09/10/19 08:14
Author: traindave

AWESOME photos of my favorite railroad 

Date: 09/10/19 08:36
Author: meixel

Thanks!

John Meixel
Longmont, CO

Date: 09/10/19 11:37
Author: Bob3985

Thanks for the great photos of one of my favorite railroads John.
Photos 7 & 8 looks like the engine crew might be Jeff and Jose.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 09/10/19 16:48
Author: ut-1

Love the photo of the tender being watered!

Date: 09/11/19 06:38
Author: randyr

Thanks for the photos. I road last summer in the lounge directly ahead of the parlor car with my grandson. No kids in the last car :)

Also my wife requires upgrades in the class of service in order to ride trains with me.

Also part II, great pics.

Randy in PHX.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/19 06:54 by randyr.

Date: 09/11/19 07:23
Author: ntharalson

Good stuff, thanks for posting.  Even more reason to look forward to next summer.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 09/11/19 08:28

"Thanks for the photos. I road last summer in the lounge directly ahead of the parlor car with my grandson. No kids in the last car :)

Also my wife requires upgrades in the class of service in order to ride trains with me.

Also part II, great pics.

Randy in PHX. "

Actually Randy, my wife doesn't require an upgrade to ride, unless it gets her a better view of the action, or she can drive. We have been railfanning together nearly 50 years now.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0595 seconds