Home Open Account Help 220 users online

Steam & Excursion > Triple Whammy

Date: 09/14/19 20:23
Triple Whammy
Author: burlingtonjohn

1. Steam powered passenger train on the Cumbres & Toltec, coaling tower (non-working) and water tank (working) at Chama, New Mexico.  19 Sep 2017.

Regards,
Burlington John

Date: 09/15/19 08:30
Re: Triple Whammy
Author: Cabhop

I have heard that they are working to get the coal tipple back in working order, true?  If so how goes the project? 

Date: 09/15/19 09:35
Author: refarkas

Almost timeless - Well done.
Bob

Date: 09/15/19 17:40
Author: burlingtonjohn

Thank you Bob for your comment. When I was last in Chama in July, they said that engineers had looked at the tower and they don't think it is feasable to restore it to operation without basically destroying it  ..... please understand that is a conversation I had with a C&T employee, I could be wrong on the memory and usually am. I am sure Wacky Roger can speak with more authority on the subject than I can!

Regards,
Burlington John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/19 17:41 by burlingtonjohn.

Date: 09/15/19 18:23
Author: tomstp

A few years ago they got the coal tower working.  whether or not it still will, I don't know.  However, if it did work they would not  fuel locomotives at it.  Why?  Coal is trucked into Chama, unload it,  Then load it in drop bottom gons.  Then take it up the built up track to the dump and dump it. That would be expense (labor) not needed when they easily load coal into engines with front end loader.

Date: 09/15/19 19:54
Author: nycman

Great photo, and that coal tipple is such a reminder of the bygone days.  I hope it can be preserved.

Date: 09/22/19 15:25
Author: tomstp

Everything railroad in Chama is/will be preserved.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0282 seconds