Home Open Account Help 340 users online

Steam & Excursion > A Steamy Strasburg Saturday

Date: 10/01/19 17:50
A Steamy Strasburg Saturday
Author: MaryMcPherson

Well, we're back home from Pennsylvania.  Time to post a few scenes from Saturday's operations of Norfolk & Western 4-8-0 #475 and 4-8-4 #611 on the Strasburg Rail Road.

I started off at Cherry Hill at the east end of the passing siding.  One of the shots I wanted to get was a closeup of how the spring switch earned its name, and it worked fairly well despite the camera getting peed on by #475 (it shook it off admirably).

From there, I headed up around Esbenshade Road.  All the while, Kurt was prowling the railroad between Carpenters and Paradise.

Enjoy!

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 10/01/19 18:00
Re: A Steamy Strasburg Saturday
Author: wabash2800

Wow. That is great footage as usual Mary. And the spring switch footage is fantastic too. I have never seen that in operation from that angle. I can picture the 475 on the Abingdon Branch powering a mixed. Strasburg is blessed to have such a loco with a rare wheel arrangement. Did any 4-8-0s get saved from any other roads? SP?

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edit: Before anyone rips me for not doing my own search, I see that other than a group of N&W 4-8-0s, there is one SP 4-8-0 (No. 2914) in Bakersfield, California.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/19 18:46 by wabash2800.

Date: 10/01/19 18:14
Author: bobdavis

That is one SUPERB steam video!  Many thanks for sharing.  As a former eastern Pennsylvanian, I had hoped to come back to take in some of this, but it's not going to happen.  This is the next best thing to being there.

Bob
Thayne, WY  

Date: 10/01/19 20:40
Author: Westbound

What a beating that spring switch takes! Those on mainlines with long freight trains must really be well made - and well maintained. Thanks for enlightening us.

Date: 10/01/19 21:48
Author: Mgoldman

wabash2800 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow. That is great footage as usual Mary. And the
> spring switch footage is fantastic too. I have
> never seen that in operation from that angle

I'll second that, and also kudos for the spring switch
angle.  Would be neat to try that with a still camera
at 1/15th or so!

Victor - I did not do a search, but N&W No. 433
comes to mind in Abingdon, VA.

And let's not forget when N&W No. 382 visited the
Strasburg Rail Road  (just kidding - taken during a
Lerro charter as a double exposure).

/Mitch

Date: 10/02/19 01:08
Author: ClubCar

Your photography work is very professional and is one of the best videos from Strasburg that is here on TrainOrders.  Thank you so much Mary and Kurt for sharing this with all of us and thanks to the Strasburg Rail Road for organizing this operation.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 10/02/19 15:16
Author: ns1000

I enjoyed the video.

Date: 10/02/19 16:19
Author: nycman

Outstanding. Mary, you and Kurt produce exceptional videos, and we steam fans thank you for your work.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0487 seconds