Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Steam & Excursion > Big Boy vs Frontrunner

Date: 10/01/19 20:06
Big Boy vs Frontrunner
Author: atsf121

When I heard that the Big Boy was heading for LA in October I was exited to get a "before & after" photo in the spot where we watched the diesel towed 4014 head north through western Utah on it's way to Cheyenne.  Seeing the diesel behind instead of towing would have been great.  But then when I saw the schedule and saw that it was coming through the town we live in on the way to Provo, I couldn't believe it.  Still pinching myself that in 2019 I've now seen the Big Boy twice here in Utah.  Years ago that was a pipedream.

Fortunately work has quieted down for me this week, so I grabbed my two youngest (3 year-old girl & 2 year-old son) and headed up the road to the Jordan Narrows.  I had scouted a couple of spots on a bike ride through there last week.  While there were a few other people, it was nothing like May with all the crowds in Echo Canyon.  In fact, I watched Google maps today and didn't see any traffic backups like I was stuck in back in May.  Guess the big crowds will be at Cajon this time around - which I won't be able to make unfortunately.  I knew I wouldn't be able to catch-up to the train if I setup in the Narrows, and I didn't really have time for a big chase today.  So I patiently watched the GPS map and 4014 was still stopped in Salt Lake when we left.

My youngest are in to trains lately, especially Thomas.  They each got Thomas shirts for their birhtdays this year, but couldn't wear them today because they were in the wash.  My 3 year old daughter kept asking all day "when we see choo-choo?".  So she was super excited.  We parked and walked down the paved trail to my primiary spot, was lucky no one else had claimed it yet.  As we got setup a northbound Frontrunner went through, and the kids asked if we were going to ride it.  After a little wait, we could start to hear the steam whistle off in the distance.  And then around the corner here came ....

... a southbound Frontrunner.  And a half second later I realized there was yellow behind that Frontrunner and around the curve on the parallel UP track (ex-DRGW) here came the Big Boy.  Not sure who was more exited, me or the kids.  But what a sight to see today with beautiful fall weather.  While they will be too young to remember it, at least I got some video.  I edited out some of their commentary, and tried to remove some of my video oopsies.  But I think you can still her my daughter ask towards the end "when the next one?"  I might be in trouble when I explain this was a one time thing today.

2 of my kids (son & daughter) were stuck at school and missed all the excitement.  My oldest could hear the Big Boy from our front yard as it whistled for every crossing in town.  And my other daughter was super lucky.  I called my wife after it passed us and she pulled over on the way home from school and she & my daughter got a quick video of it cruising by.  Quite the train day for our family.

As for which train got to Provo first, pretty sure the Frontrunner did.  Last I checked the GPS map, the Big Boy was finally in the Provo yard more than an hour after we had seen it.

1 - Northbound Frontrunner.  They might have been more exited for the Frontrunners, they always look for them when we are driving around town
2 - Frontrunner - and a Big Boy - rounding the bend!
3 - I love pictures, but nothing beats video when it comes to a steam engine.  The sights, the sounds, did I mention the sounds!

Nathan

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 10/01/19 20:28
Re: Big Boy vs Frontrunner
Author: czuleget

And the Fly on the glass in the front runner.   :>)

Date: 10/01/19 20:32
Author: Copy19

That was a first:  Big Boy vs. commuter train.  Great memory for your family.
JB - Omaha

Date: 10/01/19 20:37
Author: dougd

That's a great spot and you did that video very well---thanks for posting!  Glad your kids enjoyed it as well.

Date: 10/01/19 20:41
Author: shipsbell

Love the family photos l also trained my children to appreciate trains and now my son is training up my granddaughter. What fun we will be in LA for the 4014. We all traveled to Cheyenne the initial run. Patrick

Posted from Android

Date: 10/01/19 21:01
Author: ATSFSuperChief

Thank you, excellent discussion and video, let alone a huge thrill for your kids.

Don Allender

Date: 10/02/19 02:55
Author: ut-1

Super!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/02/19 06:21
Author: BigDave

Wonder what percentage of the passengers on the Frontrunner were filming/taking pictures?

Date: 10/02/19 06:39
Author: cchan006

atsf121 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As for which train got to Provo first, pretty sure
> the Frontrunner did.  Last I checked the GPS map,
> the Big Boy was finally in the Provo yard more
> than an hour after we had seen it.

Nice catch in The Narrows!

The FrontRunner fell behind quite a bit after making the stop at Lehi Station. I was just west of the American Forks Station (next stop) and the FrontRunner didn't show up until the 4014 was out of sight. I ended my chase there, so don't know if the FrontRunner caught up to the Big Boy again or not.

Date: 10/02/19 07:30
Author: Bob3985

Thanks for your photos and video coverage of this rare event. And thank you for introducing the young ones to railroads and railroading.
Be sure to stress the safety factors needed around railroads and it will all be a pleasant experience.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 10/02/19 11:20
Author: atsf121

cchan006 Wrote:
> atsf121 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > As for which train got to Provo first, pretty
> sure
> > the Frontrunner did.  Last I checked the GPS
> map,
> > the Big Boy was finally in the Provo yard more
> > than an hour after we had seen it.
>
> Nice catch in The Narrows!
>
> The FrontRunner fell behind quite a bit after
> making the stop at Lehi Station. I was just west
> of the American Forks Station (next stop) and the
> FrontRunner didn't show up until the 4014 was out
> of sight. I ended my chase there, so don't know if
> the FrontRunner caught up to the Big Boy again or
> not.

My wife must have been just west of you then.  There were quite a few people along 700 S and she mentioned folks on the Pioneer Crossing bridge over the tracks.  She got video of the 4014, no Frontrunner in sight.

Nathan

Date: 10/02/19 11:32
Author: King_Coal

Neat video. A nice keepsake for your children.

Date: 10/02/19 14:20
Author: bearease

BigDave Wrote:
> Wonder what percentage of the passengers on the
> Frontrunner were filming/taking pictures?
>  

How cool would that've been! The commute of a lifetime!
Great video & pix! Thanks for the post!

Date: 10/02/19 14:55
Author: zfan

Great experience for you and your kids you'll always treasure Nathan!

Date: 10/02/19 16:34
Author: nycman

Very cool, both the "race" and the kids.

Date: 10/02/19 17:21
Author: apollo17

WOW!! It does'nt get any better than this! Great photos of both the kids and the "Great Race". Looks like 4014 won!   

Date: 10/03/19 08:23
Author: the_expediter

Great video...Thx...I used to take my daughter all over the west when she was small and watch trains while on vacation...now she's in her 40s and shoots the Overland Route on the way to work...she's taken some darn good pics...perhaps your kids will do the same...SHM

Date: 10/04/19 06:45
Author: TheApostleGreen

Fantastic video!  Thanks so much for sharing!
~Joe P.
Hainesville, IL

Date: 10/04/19 08:47
Author: santafe199

The ultimate in right time ~ right place fortune. That's just plain awesome!! :^)

Lance/199

Date: 10/04/19 09:04
Author: Bucyrus-Erie

Cool video!

And, little kids and trains ... also very cool.

Jim Lee
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0618 seconds