Home Open Account Help 304 users online

Steam & Excursion > UP 4014 from Evanston to Salt Lake City

Date: 10/02/19 20:53
UP 4014 from Evanston to Salt Lake City
Author: cchan006

There are 2 videos from the chase Tuesday.

While driving east toward Evanston, WY Tuesday morning, I noticed something unusual on UP's Evanston Sub, from Emory on east. Despite the green signals, westbound trains were parked on the main, ditchlights off and not moving. I remember seeing a grain train and 2 manifests in that group.

The reason for that came clear later, or at least a theory.

As I neared Evanston, another westbound was moving slowly, a doublestack train with 53' boxes. I thought other trains were stopped to let this guy pass, but that wasn't the case. This stacker led the Big Boy to Ogden.

First clip: Wahsatch (Utah) with the water tank in the foreground. I pan and follow the 4014.

Second clip: Castlerock. Due to the slow pace of the Big Boy's run, I decided to make an unplanned stop here.

Third and fourth clips: Grab shots along I-80 during a relaxing chase.

Fifth clip: Echo Canyon, from the I-80 rest stop.

Sixth clip: Bridges near Devil's Slide.

Seventh clip: I-80 rest stop in Weber Canyon.

In the fifth clip, you can see two eastbound stackers parked very close together at Echo Canyon. Furthermore,  the westbound stacker that led the UP 4014 parked itself in Morgan for some time ahead of the Big Boy's arrival. I had some discussions with other railfans, and it seems UP (corridor manager?) used the trains to discourage people from trespassing across the tracks ahead of UP 4014's arrival into a location, or at least that's the theory for all the parked trains (with green signals) on the Evanston Sub.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 10/02/19 21:07
Re: UP 4014 from Evanston to Salt Lake City

Once in Ogden, I switched gears and did an urban chase of the 4014.

First clip: Overpass just west of the beginning of the Salt Lake Sub.

Second clip: I found an industrial background for the 4014 in Wood Cross. I've done something similar 9 years ago to another UP Steam engine in Denver.

Third clip: Overpass at the Salt Lake City train station. A northbound local showed up and waited for the 4014, then a northbound FrontRunner showed up for a meet.

Fourth clip: As mentioned by atsf121, I was at the Pioneer Crossing overpass to catch the 4014 one more time, before fighting commute traffic to catch my flight home.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 10/02/19 21:21
Author: Ntheo620

Excellent footage.  The first clip in your first video might be one of my favorite 4014 clips.  Smooth panning of the camera, excellent stack talk and smoke and rods perfectly in sync.  Hard to ask for too much more.

Date: 10/02/19 22:17
Author: doge_of_pocopson

Beautiful -- thank you!  B

Date: 10/03/19 07:57
Author: atsf121

cchan006 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fifth clip: Echo Canyon, from the I-80 rest stop.
> Seventh clip: I-80 rest stop in Weber Canyon.

I enjoyed the clips from the rest stops, those are great spots.  And I loved the echo in Echo Canyon, that was great!  Think the Echo Canyon rest stop hill is my favorite spot now for train watching in Utah.  Looks like the hill was almost as busy as it was back in May when I setup there.

And in your second video, you can really see the articulation in the 3rd clip from your spot on the 400 South bridge in Salt Lake, that was a perfect spot to be.  And awesome video work as well, that little sequence sure turned out great.  What kind of equipment were you using?

As mentioned, my wife was just down the little road along the tracks, maybe a half mile west of you in that fourth clip.  I'll have to tell her that she spotted one of my Trainorders friends when she drove by!

Nathan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/19 08:11 by atsf121.

Date: 10/03/19 08:35
Author: goneon66

wow!  what great videos.  thanks for the effort to make and post them...........

Date: 10/03/19 08:48
Author: CPRR

Excellent video. Is 4014 under a speed restriction?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/03/19 08:52
Author: HotWater

CPRR Wrote:
> Excellent video. Is 4014 under a speed
> restriction?

Originally the 4000 class locomotives were generally 50 to 55 MPH locomotives. Thus, not much has changed.

Date: 10/03/19 09:56
Author: BlaineM

Thank you for this excellent coverage, I've been waiting to see something,  I live just two miles North but because of health unable to go down and see her.  Thank you!!!
Blaine in American Fork

Date: 10/03/19 11:10
Author: ATSF3751

Trivia....but seems UP removed the "fins" from the dome coach roof. These were placed on the roof to redirect airflow from the forward dome windows. Lounge car still has them. 

Date: 10/03/19 12:43
Author: ns1000

NICE videos!!

Date: 10/03/19 21:37
Author: oyw

Always a pleasure to see your work, outstanding stuff!

Date: 10/04/19 00:02
Author: shipsbell

Wonderful, I need to be a fly in your car to see these locations and get the pictures. Patrick

Posted from Android

Date: 10/04/19 05:38
Author: ut-1

Truly outstanding work!

Date: 10/04/19 16:08
Author: RailRat

Very Enjoyable!

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

Date: 10/05/19 00:38

atsf121 Wrote:
> What kind of equipment were you using?

I've been using the same JVC handheld camcorder (GZ-E100) for about 6 years now. 

Date: 10/05/19 08:41
Author: dougd

wonderful work  thanks for posting!   

That was mean of UP in Echo

Date: 10/05/19 19:15

dougd Wrote:
> wonderful work  thanks for posting!   
>
> That was mean of UP in Echo

You're welcome. If the theory is true, it is kind of "mean" but that's their response to the trespassing that occurred, probably during the Golden Spike 150th Anniversary run.

Near the westbound access to East Echo Canyon Road, there was a state trooper (or highway patrol) parked at the shoulder. He had no problems with the people waiting for the 4014 for the overpass shot, but I believe he was there to make sure folks didn't drive backwards or wrong way to return to westbound I-80. I skipped that location since I was committed to the rest stop, but I had studied maps ahead of time regarding that location.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0797 seconds