Home Open Account Help 299 users online

Steam & Excursion > Three from Sunday UP 4014

Date: 10/07/19 00:35
Three from Sunday UP 4014
Author: vegasrails

Chasing Steam either Union Pacific Steam Locomotives or San Bernardino Railroad Historical Society ATSF 3751 brings out the good, bad and foolish and of course the crowds. I actually didn't think I even have an opportunity to get away and chase this locoomotive which the last time I had seen it was early 60's at the Pomona Fairgrounds.but I got lucky
Sunday I got a decent head start out of Henderson Nevada, and drove out to Meadow Valley Wash and what I term an overlook above the trestle that depending upon direction of travel starts or end a visit to Meadow Valley. After watching the UP track inspector make a run up to Carp and back shortly there after UP 4014 made an appearance (Photo One).
When I took this shot I noticed that as the train approached more fans came out of the brush to take it's picture. Figuring that either due to traffic or just a general quick stop at Farrier would be next. I came off the overlook bypassed Farrier where UP 4014 was in the hole awaiting an empty Coal train and proceeded to an older photo spot a few miles further on. Once there I found two gentlemen from England had beat me to it but they were kind to share the spot and I caught (Photo Two) This fan set up his movie camera in the center of the rails, then got busy doing something at his vehicle when he finally realized the train was approaching he made a mad dash for his camera, in the end Tripod,Camera and Fan made it off the tracks in time.
Last of this series was captured at MP 360.5 between Dry Lake and Garnet stations UP Caliente Sub (Photo Three) a wedge shot of UP's latest steam locomotive, thanks for looking

Date: 10/07/19 01:05
Re: Three from Sunday UP 4014
Author: ats90mph

I normally don't participate in the criticism parade, but Photo 2 = "Idiot of the day"...

Date: 10/07/19 04:25
Author: SPDRGWfan

ats90mph Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I normally don't participate in the criticism
> parade, but Photo 2 = "Idiot of the day"...

Run Forrest run!   Good one!

Date: 10/07/19 05:42
Author: bobdavis

#3 is particularly nice.

Bob

Date: 10/07/19 07:37
Author: WAF

There he is, hanging out the window. Casey Jones. Guess he can't see straight ahead from the cab

Date: 10/07/19 08:43
Author: czuleget

Ya know, the critic's about hang out the window is getting old. If you need to see the Right of way ahead, you do what is necessary and doing so, as a safe way to operate a train. What is your suggestion other Wise? 

Date: 10/07/19 09:25
Author: PasadenaSub

Indeed, I guess the only thing that would be worse is if he were manning the camera in the gauge with the train approaching.

90mph Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I normally don't participate in the criticism
> parade, but Photo 2 = "Idiot of the day"...

Date: 10/07/19 10:03
Author: jkh2cpu

Darwin Award prospect in the coming years...

John.

Date: 10/07/19 10:32
Author: callum_out

Shot #2 stupid BUT an excellent example of what's South of Vegas, the pole line is normally on the
sunny side of the tracks.

Out

Date: 10/07/19 13:44
Author: hot_tub

I'm sure it's just the result of telephoto lens effects, but how did he get the vehicle in/out of that parking spot in photo 2?

Date: 10/07/19 16:05
Author: nycman

Look between the poles in the lower RH corner, and it appears that there is a dirt road there.

Date: 10/07/19 17:01
Author: M-420

Nice photos

#2 = Scheisskopf

Date: 10/07/19 17:29
Author: mdogg

Photo 2 is why we "can't have nice things." The more idiots do things like this, the greater the chance the railroads (insurance companies) say NO to any steam movements. If anyone knows who this "person" is, please provide his name!

Posted from Android

Date: 10/08/19 19:56
Author: DonWinslow

Photo #2,where are the tenders that were behind the engine and the track in front of the engine has been spliced in and don't match. Also some cars are missing, Interesting picture though.

Don Winslow
Glendora, CA
http://www.donwinslow.net/Railroads

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/19 20:02 by DonWinslow.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0836 seconds