Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Steam & Excursion > UP 4014 question for Wednesday Cajon run

Date: 10/08/19 06:02
UP 4014 question for Wednesday Cajon run
Author: Atsf814

Greetings all;
     When 4014 descends Cajon tomorrow ( Wednesday ) I assume they wil take the UP cutoff just south of Summit to get into West Colton. Does that sound right?  May get a day off tomorrow to catch it. Thanks for any replies.  

Date: 10/08/19 07:31
Re: UP 4014 question for Wednesday Cajon run
Author: Mudrock

Dispatcher choice will decide the train traffic in the late morning.

Chris

Date: 10/08/19 11:51
Author: PHall

Memo to self: Stay as far away from Cajon Pass as possible on Wednesday. As if the "normal" traffic on I-15 weren't bad enough...

Date: 10/08/19 14:23
Author: JohnM

What time do you all think they will hit summit

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/08/19 14:50
Author: miralomarail

JohnM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What time do you all think they will hit summit
>
> Posted from iPhone

John ,
The schedule has the 4014 leaving Victorville at   10:45 AM , depending on other trains and such maybe 30--45 Min till the Summitt ?

Tom Hirsch
Cherry Valley , Ca

Date: 10/08/19 15:32
Author: cchan006

Atsf814 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Greetings all;
>      When 4014 descends Cajon tomorrow (
> Wednesday ) I assume they wil take the UP cutoff
> just south of Summit to get into West Colton. Does
> that sound right?  May get a day off tomorrow to
> catch it. Thanks for any replies.  

It sounds right. However, would people be able to react safely if BNSF dispatcher decides to send the 4014 elsewhere?

For those who haven't visited Cajon Pass since the Hwy 138 realignment was completed will be in for a nasty surprise, in terms of finding access roads to some spots. Add the faster travelling traffic on Hwy 138 in the mix, too. 

Date: 10/08/19 15:39
Author: PHall

There's also a fair amount of highway traffic that uses Cajon Blvd/Highway 66 as a bypass around the mess that is the I-15/I-215 interchange.

Date: 10/08/19 16:16
Author: trackplanner

>When 4014 descends Cajon tomorrow ( Wednesday ) I assume they wil take the UP cutoff just south of Summit to get into West Colton.

That's the plan I heard barring any disabled trains in the way.

Date: 10/08/19 17:45
Author: callum_out

Be interesting to see how they solve their DB issues, maybe 2 diesels and a little more speed? Cima
was a shock! For Burning Man you expect a big crowd in the middle of nowhere, but Cima? Every hill
West of there had a couple dozen people perched on top. I imagine Afton was close if not worse and
Cajon is going to be a disaster.

Out

Date: 10/08/19 18:03

drove up SR138 this afternoon.   Already one foamer set up in his/her motorhome.   of course off of a designated route  

And no, I didnt see the t-shirt vendor set up yet.   

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/19 18:25 by JohnM.

Date: 10/09/19 01:08
Author: CaliforniaSteam

Going down the cutt off sounds about right, The BNSF will want to get the show off their rails as soon as possible. They have been really conjested coming into and out of Barstow the last few days so the schedule may or may not hold up.

CS

Date: 10/09/19 10:33

Sitting at Summit. Haven’t seen one railroad t-shirt yet Correction. One UP Big Boy shirt. Plenty of folks out here. Seems like everyone is getting alone just fine.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/19 11:21 by JohnM.

Date: 10/09/19 11:30

Wouldn’t you know it that rail traffic is very heavy right now? What if 4014 slips down the inner or middle track with a passing stack train?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/09/19 11:49

Okay a lull in the railroad traffic. Rail fans wait, cameras at the ready...discussing cameras and the various locomotives that have passed by. Here it comes!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/09/19 13:26

It was a beautiful sight to see. Most joined the orderly chase procession on 138 down to cleghorn. Well as luck would have it, UP did the correct thing and moved over to their line... skunking everyone at cleghorn. I rejoined the chase and again with one exception things went well. Lots of folks out, but plenty of places to park and view the train as it passed. I finally went and got my final shots at Palm Avenue and ran into Chris.

I think it was a great day in the pass for many.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/10/19 08:14
Author: utwazoo

Thanks to the slow speed of the train and no absolutely traffic tie ups,  I was able to easily shoot it six times from Frost to Pepper Ave.   A very easy chase,  thanks to the freeways and getting out of the dirt road spots quickly.  A very tranquil morning for this chaser.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0513 seconds